Great influence

I have one younger sister who is my real sister whom I've been there for my whole life. She just turned 18 this year in March and I felt like I've been a wonderful big sis to her.. I exposed her to everything so that she wouldn't be culture-shocked away at college or whatever she plans to do with her life, nothing will come as a surprise. To this day, she listens to my advice. She seeks me out for problems or issues she has in her life and I hope that we never ever grow apart because I love her so much. I have step siblings too.. an older brother and two older sisters but I wasn't raised with them really and am much more closer to my younger sis. What do YOU think it takes to be a great older sibling? Does it put more responsibility on you or make you grow up a bit quicker?? Do you become the example? What are you guys views??
I had to take my little sister with me every where when I was young. I hated it and to this day I hate her. She is like oil to my being water. I am glad your so please with your little sisiter this is how it should be.
I had to take my sister everywhere I went too and yes, at times, it was quite irrititating. She would follow me out of the door wherever I went and then afterawhile she expected it. Not only did she expect to leave with me and would get mad when she couldn't or when I firmly said no, my mom felt like she should go with me too. It got really trying when her friends started to tag along with me and my friends and sometimes quite embarrassing, but I can say that despite all of that, I still love her. I think it's sad that you and your sister don't have the closest relationship. Are you guys the only two?? If so, you and her will be all you each have when y'all both get older. It is worth a try. I hope it works out for both you and her!
Dang, I'm sorry that you feel that way. I really am. Hopefully, maybe that will change over time.
NOt as long as I can see her using my mother like she does.
@JenInTN (27565)
I do think that the older sibling has a lot more responsibility. The younger one certainly does look to the older and the older can be either a good influence or a bad one. Sounds like you have done wonderful for your sister and you are very close.
Yes, I love my lil sis very much and never would intentionally hurt her or steer her in the wrong direction, so I had to set a great example for her.. Thanks for your comment!!
• United Arab Emirates
I am not much experienced as i was the youngest in the family and a spoilt brat. But i do understand that taking care of your siblings is a matter of responsibility. My brother and sister took alot of care of me. I was guided in the right way by them.
That is wonderful!! Your older siblings fulfilled their purposes to you as older role models and it worked!! I know that they are proud of you and love you very much!! Thanks for your comment!!
I am a big sister myself. I have two younger brothers. I took care of them when they were still babies and seeing them grow makes me so emotional at times. Ive been with them through thick and thin. I was like a second mum to them. I love my brothers too much that sometimes I worry what would happen if they experience things that would hurt them a lot. I am too much at times. I try my best to set a good example to them while they're growing up. Now that they're teenagers and experiencing a lot these days. I decided to move out and live independently so that they wouldnt rely on me that much too and would also learn things by themselves. I want them to learn to be more responsible as I learned it when I was so much younger. Being the big sister is tough at times, too much expectation and a lot of responsibilities but it could also be FUN. When you see your family happy and contented of whatever you can give.
It must've been trying at times to be a big sister to younger brothers. I have a brother, but he's older and we aren't very close because we only have the same dad. I think that it was great of you to think of them and distance yourself from them so that they may grow independently and ask for your help only when it's a necessity rather than just have you around 24/7 as a luxury. I think that's a great tactic. Hope it works out for you and them!! Thanks for your comment!!