or canning?

@SomeCowgirl (32273)
So I was looking at some canning recipes and have a question... Just how long do you usually keep a canned item before eating it? yeah I guess I know it DOES depend on what it is, but let's say... Pickles. How long does it 'ferment' (not sure if that's the word) before it's ready, or does it just depend? can you eye it or do you have to taste it? Just wondering. I'd actually like to start canning pickles, preserves, things like that... Of course this will be a few years before I do this.
Canning is very difficult and you have to follow closely the recipe. I sugest you read recipes online. They are a source of inspiration and usually come with awesome pictures and many with step to step explanations. Luck!!!
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
That is a great idea! I will definitely look at some pictures and recipes online to help guide me, of course I won't be canning YET but will in the future. Thanks again!
@peavey (15862)
I will differ from the other posters in that I don't think canning is hard at all. It will take some concentration to learn, but once you have the idea, it's simple. It's recommended that home canned pickles be used within two years, but I'm not sold on that idea. Pickles don't ferment once they're canned. The canning stops any process and that's what makes them safe. Fermented pickles are the ones you make in a crock and they can keep several months in a cool place (not canned).
I will have to agree with peavey on this one. Canning is not hard at all once you learn a few tricks. My dad has been canning tomatoes and things for years. He uses those glass Mason jars with the replacable lids and rings to keep them sealed. They are fairly inexpensive, and you can re-use the jars from year-to-year if you keep them, but you have to replace the lids each year. My friend and I made some home-made salsa from vegetables he grew in his garden a couple of years ago, and it was really easy. We made up the salsa and then we put the jars into boiling water. I can't remember how long we had to boil them for, but after the required time of boiling them, we took them out of the water and immediately poured the salsa into them and put the lids on. We then set them out to cool, and after a time, you could hear the lids on them start popping as they sealed themselves. Once they pop, they are sealed, and you can store them. The process really wasn't hard at all, but it did take a little time to prepare the salsa and boil the jars. It was actually kind-of fun. We will probably do it again this year...
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
I love to can & have for years. As long as your jars of whatever seal they will keep for a long time. It is not hard work but time consuming & u have to be on your feet alot which is getting hard for me to do. Home canned things are much better than what u buy in the grocery.