Fleas! Help!

I think I mentioned on here, before we went on holiday just over a month ago, all our cats had fleas. We treated them with flea shampoo and sprayed the house, they seemed ok and we didn't see any fleas, so we went away thinking they were gone. After we got back from 10 days away, the house was jumping with the horrible little creatures. All 3 cats have had flea tablets which were recommended to me, and I think it cured them, but the house is a different story. I've gone through 6 cans of spray so far, and they still keep appearing! They seem to find me and my 3 year old particularly tasty, so I don't even want to take my shoes off in the house. I have used two different brands of spray in case they became immune to one, and most of them have gone, but we keep getting a few new Houdini fleas which don't want to die. Any advice, or products you can recommend?
@twoey68 (13651)
The only way I have ever had success in getting rid of fleas was to get those bug bombs and set them off. We had to do that to a house we were going to rent once and it was the only thing that worked. We put 2 bombs per room and never had so much as a fly in that house afterwards. [b]**AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~[/b]
@tcup345 (360)
Two bombs per room? That could be dangerous, I've heard of a woman who caused her house to explode because she used too many bug bombs. Bug bombs is the best way to go, I've used them before and they kill every living thing in your home, including pesky fleas. Most hardware stores carry the bombs. Carefully read the directions, you have to remove houseplants, pets, food that isn't in your refridgerator that can be contaminated and any other living thing, including yourself. The pills you are using are great for your pets however they take time to get into their system and become effective, sometimes it doesn't start to work until the second dose. The flea treatments that are applied to the skin work better. Good luck
@niairen01 (1018)
Whoah! That's really nasty! Although I don't have any experience with cats I know what it's like having uncontrolled fleas in the house. I even experience seeing them crawling on my arms when I'm at school back then.. and it was really embarrassing! We have so many dogs at our farm. We are not breeders though, we just love dogs. and the flea problem started when we let one of our dogs stroll away from our house since he knows how to get home. Since then most of them started having fleas. We realize that our pet got their fleas from the outsiders dogs. Anyway, to solve your problem try these: - clean EVERYTHING! yes, everything!! This is because the fleas is not on your pet anymore. Flea eggs might be everywhere! wash your beddings, Vacuum your sofas, carpets (even so steam clean your carpets to kill those eggs). - I know cats hates water but in this case, go give your cat a bath (use flea shampoo) and comb them. this will kill and remove the flea on you cats. - I don't know if you know this but there are available flea traps today. it's a bit like the once we use to glue roaches or flies. - I heard there are plants that repel plagues... mint, lavender. You can put it inside your house or at your garden. - if all comes to worst just call professional pest control. I'm not a fan of insecticides since most of them are dangerous to your health and to the environment but if it's already biting your 3 yrs old (i have one too.. he is my life) i recommend to just flea bomb your whole house! lol! ^.^ good luck!
I've washed all the bedding, clothes, soft toys that I can find - but they're still here! I asked in the pet store and the man said he has dogs so he knows its harder to get rid of them in hot weather, but advised me to just keep spraying and to give the cats tablets whenever they showed signs of having picked them up again. My mother told me to leave bowls of water with washing up liquid in around the house, as it apparently attracts them and then they drown, but my 3 year old would see them and play with the water lol. My uncle works for a pest control company but he lives quite a long way from me so I haven't asked him
@fifileigh (3619)
yeah, i remember those days. that is why i have a strong hatred for fleas. u have to remember when u treat ur pets, put the in a separate area, and treat the whole house as well. and i mean every small crevice of the area. they hide well and they will return when the pets come back in the house, and the pets will have fleas again. u need to treat the house to kill all the eggs that are not hatched yet as well. after i bathe my pets, i place them in the car. then, i fog the the whole house with a fogger in each room, mostly the areas and rooms where the pets go. if the room is big, put two foggers. i leave the house with the pets in the car, and hang out somewhere for a couple of hours, usually the duration of the fogger. the pets love the car, so it is a treat for them. when i return home, i keep them in the car, maybe with their snacks and toys, and i go inside to open all the windows and air out the rooms. then i mop the floor as well as vacuum the carpet. i do all the cleaning that needs to be done, as well as doing the laundry of pet stuff. i wash pet blankets and clothes and their toys in hot water, in the wash machine. (this all takes the whole day. so start early in the morning.) also, i wash bed sheets and couch covers and towels and whatever else the pets came into contact with, in hot water, next. by the time the last load is in the dryer, it is usually a good time to let the furry troops inside the house. the floors are dry, the rooms are aired out and smell good, and everything is clean. once a week, i give them baths, using a mild shampoo and conditioner for pets. it should have natural ingredients, and it says on it "no more tears" for puppies and kittens, like those baby shampoos. i forgot the brand name i used. it was when i had my late dogs. sometimes, i used oatmeal and/or avocado shampoo and conditioner for pets with skin problems, usually for flea bites and from such skin irritations. i just try to keep them clean from then on so that they dont attract fleas again. keep the place clean as well as pets. and, during the summertime, it also helps to keep the air conditioner on make sure ur place is cold. fleas thrive in hot areas as well as damp area. fleas hate cold weather. that is why u dont see too many fleas on ur pets in the wintertime. they always come out in the summertime. good luck. i hope all this help u.
But you have not done the outside, correct? This website I found for you might help: http://www.fleasmart.com/fleasrx.htm
Do you cook with garlic? I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that fleas don't like garlic. Besides your own food, you might also try putting it in your pet's food also.
@jennbart (1332)
I have been using FRONTLINE spray. And its is doing a marvelous job! maybe there is a product for cats in their product line. Hope this helps!
Dear marianne, I had the same problem a few months ago and I found that Mortein surface spray worked best. I sprayed the carpets and furniture waited 10mins and then I vacumed everything. I repeated this process for 3 days in a row and it seemed to control the problem. I gave my cat a flea tablet to control the fleas on him but you have to remember to give you cats a flea tablet each time you see a flea on one of them otherwise you won't be able to control the fleas. You can treat them for fleas each time you see one on them. I also gave him a worm treatment at the same time because my vet told me that when the fleas are bad they can cause some worms. I'm not too sure if that is true though, the vet might have been trying to get more money out of me. Anyway I managed to get rid of all the fleas and the best bit was that it also got rid of any cockroaches. I hope that this can be of some help.