Why can't everyone enjoy football like this?

Spain
I watched my adopted country, Spain, win the World Cup in our village square - along with about 3,000 other people! The atmosphere was amazing, and there was bunting and flags everywhere. All the locals had brought their televisions out into the square, which was good, because the big screen the local town hall had ordered for the occasion didn't work until the second half! The noise when the goal was scored was deafening, and as soon as the final whistle went, there were firecrackers, fireworks and singing and dancing. I've never been hugged and kissed by so many hunky men in my life. The party went on until around 5.00am, although we went home soon after midnight. Talking about it, we said if the same thing had been held in England, what with the big screen failing to work and so much drink being consumed, there would have been trouble, but there was no hassle at all - just lots of people enjoying the evening and Spain's moment of glory. Our grandson is here for the week - he's football mad, so he's loved every minute of it. He told us the council in Plymouth, where he lives, refused to show the matches in public places. They did it two years ago for the European Championships, and there were so many fights and drunken incidents, the police resources were stretched to the limit. On Sunday night, the booze was flowing freely, but there were no incidents - even from Brits on holiday. The police were in attendance, but they had nothing to do all night, so they were able to enjoy the game with the rest of us. Why can't everyone be like this?
Spain can very much hold their own reputation when it comes to drinking, they certainly don't appear to go like some nations. Yet you'll find that Spain is still lacking when it comes to respecting players for where they come from, they generally chant monkey sounds and other offensive words. This as been reduced in many nations and this brings bad reflections towards them. Why can Spanish people accept colours and different creeds? The way after they won the world cup was amazing, the support that followed them also was very good but they need to do something about what I'm trying to point out.
• Spain
Hello, Joey. I completely take your point - it's the same in France and Italy as well. I can only speak from personal experience, of course, but none of the Spanish people I know would behave like that. They're a very welcoming and tolerant people, and they will mix with anyone, whatever their nationality. I can only assume that, as with many other countries, some of the people who go to football matches are a disgrace to their nation and the human race in general. They're not real fans, they just want to cause trouble.
Oh that's true alright. I think the problem is in England they tend to ban people from attending, I'm not sure if this happens aboard or not but we still have issues here. I know a few people from Spain and you are right they're very friendly. I think the problem comes when you have big matches and then the fools come but during the game they played against England awhile back it sounded like most of their fans was taking part in the chants. :)
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Hi Sandra, I see from your discussion that you are talking about the World Cup soccer in your adopted country, Spain. If I understand you correctly, it was the joyful and civilized watching which resulted in the hugging and the kissing, which would not have occurred in England, where there would have been the bad trouble, due to the TV troubles. Everybody cannot be as wonderfully as the Spanish whom you have adopted with the hugging to your bosom. Hooray for the civilized winning of the Spanish team and the incident free watching of the eventfulness.
• Spain
Greetings, Dawn, most esteemed and wonderful member of beautiful site called MyLot which is best on internet for all the peoples wishing to make the discussions in civilised manner, just like hugging and kissing and watching of football, which is most wonderful sport in whole of world. You are being most correct in your observation that in England, the failure of the TV to show wonderful game of football would have resulted in terribles scenes of great hooliganfullness, which would have spoiled wonderful atmosphere of peace and lovingness. Thank you for gracing my humble discussion with your wonderful observations, which all the peoples must be enjoying on wonderful site of MyLot which is best on internet.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can't, I just can't...
@sjlskl (3384)
It should be relatively safe if all the people are rooting for the same team, in this case Spain. It does help that Spain have won. Should they lost due to some dubious decision, imagine what it could be with the feeling of injustice in the air. Imagine also this scenario, instead of Spain vs Holland, it is Real Madrid vs Barcelona, can we have the same peaceful celebration in the aftermath of the match?
• Spain
Hello, Sjlskl. I think the big thing is, it's a small village, and everyone knows everyone else. The Spanish are a proud race, and they don't like to let themselves down in front of others, especially people they see every day. Generally, celebrations are peaceful here. The Spanish set out to enjoy themselves, not to start a fight, and it makes a hell of a difference.
@sjlskl (3384)
That makes the difference. Since it is a small village, then the atmosphere will be right. I have thought you were referring to city square or something along the line.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
PS You've been Dawned.
• Spain
And now you've been Sandra'd, so we're even.
will that is cool you know thats good that spain win the world cup but why do you call it football when its soccer i dont understand that but that is good that their was know one hurt that night in such a big event so you say that england is more hoper then spain well thats a good thing dont you think i just saying becuase you have to put your self in the peolpe shoes if their a party i 'am sure you all ways have your bad apples in the bunch you know but want you take care
• Spain
Hello, Magichands, and welcome to MyLot. To answer your question, football has always been called football in England, where the game was invented. Other nations have christened it soccer. And FIFA, which is the world governing body for the game and which is responsible for the World Cup, is the International Federation of Association Football. It was great to have such a friendly evening out. It's always the same here - there's no drink-fuelled trouble, and everyone is just out to enjoy the atmosphere.
Well there is a simple reason for this and it boils down to the way different cultures treat drinking. In the UK drinking is treated as a bad thing and something young children should not know anything about. So when the times come that they can drink, they drink to much and it beomes ingrained in them, as does the yobbish beahaviour which closely follows. Where as in Spain young children get to drink from an earlier age, but in a controlled manner. So when they reach adulthood there is no thrill or excitement from drinking, it's purely a social thing. That is the simple reason why in the UK we have so much trouble when it comes to people getting drunk and ruining things. It's treated all wrongly and unfortunately I can't see things ever changing.
@ram_cv (16516)
I think the majority of people like to enjoy sports. I remember the day India beat Pakistan in a World Cup match in South Africa, I was in a similar gathering of people and shops were distributing sweets for free and people were dancing on the streets and honking on their cars till late in the night. I still remember the fun that day. I hope that is what people should do with sports. Unfortunately, the hooligans the minority turn up and spoil the fun. I think these people deserve to be locked up with some real big punishments!! Cheers! Ram
• Spain
Hello, Ram. Yes, I agree with you - get tough with the hooligans. They are after all a minority, thank goodness, and they shouldn't be allowed to spoil things for genuine fans who want to enjoy the game and the atmosphere. And I think the memory of Sunday night will stay with me for years.
@kaka10 (180)
• South Africa
The soccer World Cup is one of those events that brings the whole universe together, it is one of those occasions that allows all men to be at their most sensitive. Everyone comes together and that positive energy radiates out into the universe I think that even the life on other planets come to a halt to watch this. That is why I love the game so much I went to the Mexico Uruguay game and you , could feel the energy it was unbelieveable. Soccer is truelly a uniting force, people should all come together more often in ths manner as it helps you temporarily forget about the problems in the world
• Spain
Hello, Kaka, and welcome to MyLot. You're right - soccer does unite people, especially the World Cup. Before England were knocked out, the Spanish were rooting for them as well, as there are a lot of English people living in our area, and we're all very friendly with the locals. If it had been an England-Spain final, it would still have been very friendly - although I'm sure Spain would have beaten England. On their day, Spain can beat anyone, and they are truly deserving champions.
@krajibg (11940)
• Guwahati, India
Hi Sandra, People surely differ in their approaches. If a game is being shown in public places and there is a huge gathering this most likely that some of them would be all drunken. And you know what the drunken herd could be up to. If the crowd is supporting the same side it watching there is less possibility of any unwanted scene but if it is otherwise then a fight or the like thing can well be predicted. Though India have never qualified for the finals we watch the game with the same spirit like you. But here we are divided over the teams. Say, on the final night where I was supporting Spain, my wife was with the Netherlands. ( There was no fight between us however ) But there are places where people are wide apart with their own teams and argument and arguments following a fight is quite a predictable thing. My team won finally and I was at home and only the family members enjoyed the final match on TV screen. Thats all. And yes, hats off to Spain.
• Spain
Hello, Krajibg. I find that, in Spain, although they have had all day drinking for many years, you never see binge drinking among the locals, and that's the big difference. They are also a very friendly nation on the whole, and would rather party than fight - although they are so loud when they're talking that people may at first think they're arguing!