Nose telling you someone is or was there

@stealthy (8188)
Have you ever recognized that a particular person you know is present or has been because you smelled an odor you could associate with them? I did at least once. I was dating a woman and she was supposed to come over to my apartment and I was maybe 4 or 5 minutes late, something that is extremely rare for me. As I went through the apartment building entry area, I recognized the perfume that she wore and so I knew she had been there very recently. A few minutes later she arrived and when I asked her, admitted she had been there earlier and was surprised to learn how I knew.
@momof3kids (1903)
I had the same thought as cowboygirl that she stunk..lol!! I have associated a smell with this man I liked when I was young. I like the smell so much that I looked it up. I found it at a store at the mall and found out that it was no fancy brand but a cheap collonge. But I still like it and I wish I had bought it. And yes at that time it was nice to know that he has been around. You know when you infatuated it smells nice but the same smell will awful if you associated it with someone you dislike.
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
Here I thought you were going to say she stunk, lol. Hmm, I am sure I have but can't think of a particular situation. Now of course there's like clothes and things that have been handed down to me that I've smelt and had the familiar smell of whoever it was, but that's different.
I remember a specific time when I was a kid, I was looking for my dad at church. I remember smelling his cologne, and then kind of following the smell. He was always the first person at church (he's a pastor), so there weren't any other colognes or perfumes to interfere. It wasn't a heavy odor, but I remember just following the "trail", and finding my dad.
Ahh my dad used to use 'old spice'. I was appalled when I found my husband using it at one time. Luckily he didnt like the smell and stopped. And luckily I didnt have to tell him to stop. How do you tell your husband that he smells like your dad?
That definitely would have been a problem!
@rowantree (1190)
My husband had a very different scent about him, I could never place it. It wasn't laundry detergent or cologne. It drove me crazy, I absolutely loved the smell. Unfortunately it's gone but very rarely I will smell it on him or our son. Weird, isn't it? Sometimes I will smell a loved one who has passed over, sometimes if I'm not home and someone in my family comes over I can smell them when I get home even though they've left. Everyone in my family has homes that each smell differently and are unique to them. Scent is a very strange thing!
@cream97 (29169)
Hi, stealthy. Yes, all of the time have I witnessed someones body odor or scent. It can be if they smell bad also. I know when my husband has used the bathroom because, it will smell like his toothpaste, soap, body wash and shampoo. I know that he has been in the bathroom then.
@med889 (5958)
My sister uses a different kind of perfume and when she would get home even if she is near to reach at the door steps I can smell and say that she is coming I think it is only because of the perfume and sometimes I can even hear the footsteps to know who is coming.
@Opal26 (17691)
Hey stealthy! I'll bet she was flattered too! Women like men who notice "things like that". My boyfriend loves colognes and has some really great ones, of which I like almost all of them and he is always wearing some after a shower, before he goes to work and the apartment always smells like him for a long time after he leaves! I am also very concious of things like smells and associate them with people and their homes. Did you ever notice how some people's homes have a particular odor? And some are not very appealing!
That happend to me too. We use a parfume and we didn t feel it but another people do.
@mr_pearl (5037)
Yes, it is very much possible... And I am sure many humans are capable of this... But very few of them utilize it... Possessing talent is one thing and acting accordingly is another thing... It takes self-control and many other qualities to act according to one's talent... :) Once, when I was not home and had forgotten to lock it, I sensed that someone was inside when I looked at the door... Thankfully, it was only my friend who had come and gone after seeing that I was not in...