Inhumane

@bhanusb (5709)
In India Baby girls are consedered as curse to the parents. When a woman get pragnant she prays for a boy baby. Because none of the family members(including her husband) don't want a baby girl. In many cases when women get pregnant they find out the gender of the baby in the womb by doing ultrasonogram. If it is found baby girl then the mother get abortioned the baby by the help of a doctor. The reason behind it that to get marry a girl the parents have to give big amount of dowry(including cash money and gold ornaments) to the bridegroom's family. Even well educated parents demand big dowry for their sons. Is it not cold bloded murder?
@greygoo (798)
(O_O)is this true until now? it's about time that people understood that women and men are equal. one simply cannot perpetuate without the other. how could the male kind keep their precious lineage alive if women weren't there to carry their children? something ought to be done against this oppressive culture against women, not only because it is morally wrong, but also because it will have strong implications on India's fertility in the future. it will be difficult to preserve a nation with lesser and lesser people. and also, improving the status of women is positively related to poverty reduction. i do think this is a very important concern in India.
@bhanusb (5709)
Yes it is true till now. Without mother creation can't continue. I hope the outlookm of men of India towards female will be changed.
@maximax8 (28490)
If there are 50% females and 50% males each will be able to get married. If it was 20% females and 80% males then a large number of men won't be able to find a wife. It is the females that have the babies so the population would go down. Maybe tradition can change and become better for Indian ladies. Perhaps a dowry could be a small gift not a lot of money plus precious stones. It is possible to sway when trying to get pregnant for a baby boy or a baby girl. Then I think it is enjoyable to have a scan and find out what gender the baby is. However aborting because the baby is a girl is morally wrong. I don't agree with abortion because of the baby's gender. Abortion is horrible because it is killing an innocent baby. I have always wanted to have a daughter and I got her last year. She is a beautiful little girl and I am delighted with her. Before her I had two sons and I continued to dream of getting a baby daughter. In my home country some parents do have a preference for a particular gender of baby. They might have three sons and then try to have a daughter but they wouldn't abort because of the baby's gender. If the mother's life is in danger then that would be abortion for medical reasons. I was offered an abortion because my second son is disabled and I said no way. When I was pregnant the first time I didn't mind which gender I had. The second time I wished to have a girl but I had a lovely boy. I was overjoyed to get my girl in my third pregnancy.
@bhanusb (5709)
Hi maxi, thanks for your long reply. If there creates imbalance of population that is 80% males and 20% females things will not be changed. Because in rural India a male can have more than one wife. Females are considered as production machines. In India males are superior gender. So their price is high and parents of girls have to give big dowry. To prevent the killing of girl babies in mother's womb the Indian government has passed a law which prohibits scanning of embryo's gender. But there are some unscrupulous doctors who help to kill girl babies. Things are changing very slowly. We have to wait for the future generation. Hope they will change this ill culture.
@maximax8 (28490)
Hi Bhanusb. Thanks for your fascinating reply. It is interesting to read that males in India are thought to be the superior gender. I am not surprised that is it illegal to scan to find out the baby's gender. It is sick that some girl babies are killed. It is interesting to hear that in rural India a man can have more than one wife. I hope that things will change to become more humane. Every baby deserves to live and be happy.
@jennyze (7048)
Luckily I was not born of Indian. Thanks for the warning though, I will not opt an India man for my partner.
@bhanusb (5709)
Hi jennyze, all Indian families and boys are not bad. There are many Indians who are liberal and modern. They consider men and women are equal. Moreover India has great cultural history. India has cultural link with Indonesia especially with Bali. If you choose an Indian boy that will be nice.
i think most cultures really prefer to have male children because of the same concern, the dowry. i'm glad those stuff aren't applicable in my country, or at least, i'm not affected by it. but of course, i feel bad because i'm both a girl and a feminist. i really disagree with stuff like women are weak and stuff. :P
@bhanusb (5709)
I'm glad that you are a feminist. Please raise your voice against this oppression to women of India and other countries.
It's a sad thing to know, that just because of this dowry practice, baby girls has to be killed. This topic is so informative, the first time I read about this India practice (a man being bought my a woman for marriage, and price varies depending on the status of the man). I read about man wanted to marry a woman and he give dowry to the woman's parents, this is acceptable,for me a right thing to do. But this India practice...its so unfair practice. I could understand the dowry practice, but to reason it out why they have to abort a baby girls or kill it on birth, just to avoid this dowry practice. Why does a woman has to really get married?, are single woman not acceptable in this country. They are killing their civilization.
@bhanusb (5709)
Really it is a sad thing. I'm ashamed for this. You are right they are killing their civilization.I hope this practice will be changed.
Its the economy and the Dowry system that cause this. Hope his situation would disappear soon. We just have to understand each other and help on another. Cheers :)
@bhanusb (5709)
Let us hope situation would be changed.
@Satenik (102)
• Armenia
This is very unjust. I have a daughter and a son and I can't imagine not wanting a girl when you are pregnant. I thought such traditions had remained in the past. I know that in Arabic countries the husband has to buy a lot of gold and presents for his wife and it's very expensive to get married. Not talking about the fact that they may have 2 or 3 wives.