Autism

What can you tell me about your experiences with an Autistic child?
It is important do the same things evry day.
Thanks, that is something we are finding out. My son has Aspergers and needs very much to stay in a routine. If he does not, it can send him into a fit or tantrum.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
My son has autism. He is is a twin. We noticed early on that his sister understood things more easily and expressed herself better at an early age. Since age 4 he has been going to social skills classes and he has had special help in school. I find that it is often more difficult for him to learn new things, but once he learns them, he doesn't forget. He is more immature than his sister in some things. He doesn't pick up on social cues as well. He gets interested in one or two things and is almost obsessive about them. But in general, he does really well.
Thanks for sharing. My son has Aspergers. We just found out this past year so it is all new to us. He is extremely smart. In Kindergarten last year, he was reading at a late first grade leve. He excels in all areas of school. His social skills are a bit awkward and he does have trouble playing sometimes. Not because he doesn't want to but because he doesn't understand how sometimes. His biggest thing is routine. When it is out of whack, then so is he. It sometimes results in tantrums. Also when something does not go his way, it results in a huge tantrum. He is not being a brat, his mind just comprehends things different. He, too, has things he gets obsessed with and learns everything about them or spots them out whenever he sees them. He has gone from John Deere, to Disney/Pixar Cars, to Monster Trucks, to ocean life. He is also fascinated with wheels. He points out wheels similar to my truck, his grandpas truck, etc. Right now he is all about dully trucks. Points them out all over the place. Thanks for sharing.
• Jamaica
We Just found out this year that my little cousin has Aspergers and it has really made his mom stressed out. Only because this is all new to her. He is 8 and they wanted to send him to a special school, she didn't want to do that and have him be treated differently. She has since enrolled him in a lot of programs, such as basketball etc. I have also told her to file for Social Security because once a doctor has given them a diagnostics By law they are eligible to receive SSI.
Hi friend, Autistic child needs more love and care. We must give our uttermost care to them and spend most of our time with them. My son is having autism and my wife spend all her time with him. I too spend most of my time with him and we try our maximum to give our love and affection to him and teach a lot of things in his way. He is going to special school and his teaches guide us about the raising method of an autistic child. Hope he will be normal soon
@Foxxee (3653)
With what I know about Autism & having a child who is Autistic as well, I have learned that every day is a new journey for us. We learn something new about our son all the time. I have learned that I'm lucky to have the child I have & I should count my blessings every day for what God has given us. Our son is a joy & he makes us laugh every day. There isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't make us giggle. He is an amazing kid. He has taught us how to be more loving, caring, & most of all he has taught me to look at the world in a different way. Life is simple if you make it simple & that is how we like it. As for others saying "change is never good for a child who is Autistic" well I have to disagree. These children need change every day. Just because my son preferes to wake up every morning & watch Handy Manny, doesn't mean I will let this happen every morning. I have learned that breaking my sons patern from time to time is also good. To much of the same thing can cause more melt downs. Parents of Autistic children will soon realize that breaking the patern can also be a good thing. Autistic children need to learn that switching paterns & change is good. So my experience... it's been a rollarcoaster ride. We been up & we been down, we have screamed, we have cried, we have laughed & at the end of each ride we have hugs & smiles. Each experience is different though... wish you all luck... Here is to change!