Hot Topics - Its NOT About Numbers

@sulynsi (2837)
I was looking at the number of responses on topics that have hit the top of the "hot" category. I thought it had something to do with how many people are responding. I mean, obviously, if something has a lot of responses, it is "hot", or interesting to a lot of people. However, I've noticed, and not just today, that the very top listed topic has fewer responses than one listed much farther down! A lot fewer, actually. One time, I had more responses to a topic than several listed on the first page of that category, but I never even ranked at all! What IS it that makes the grade? Just wonderin'.
"Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die", by Alfred Lord Tennyson.The very same topic that gets the 'grade' of being 'hot' gets axed sometimes later as I have seen it happening. So cool down would be my advice to you.
@sulynsi (2837)
well, if all knowing doesn't know all, I'm done for! If a really interesting discussion that got tons of people involved got axed, and I had the fun of picking a topic that started a "fire" (not a flame, but a fire of interest) I wouldn't mind so much if it had to go. Just the fun of actually being interesting, for a change, would be so WORTH IT! I want to be HOT! I've DONE cool, I'm an EXPERT at COLD, got FROZEN down pat and its a lonely place, let me tell you!
@sulynsi (2837)
Now, doesn't this just sum up the situation?!
@sulynsi (2837)
Grrr I was trying to up load a photo of a polar bear stranded on a pillar of ice in the middle of the ocean!
@mysdianait (64058)
The 'hot topics' become hot topics depending on activity/key strokes. It is not necessarily about responses because comments add up too. Those are the discussions which have received the most activity in the last 24 hours and you can see that the hottest topic in each interest will be the ones which will appear on the Digest the following day. If you regularly refresh the 'hot topics' page you can see them creep up the list. Sometimes they even gallop if there is a lot of interest in a particular topic and it receives a lot of activity (response and/or comments) in a very short space of time.
@sulynsi (2837)
oh, so it could be responses to responses! makes sense! So getting a hot topic is pretty much out of one's control! Sort of like going viral!
@mysdianait (64058)
Oh no, it is definately not out of our control. When we post a new discussion and it receives responses, if we comment back to them immediately and get it moving, others will see it sooner and it will stay in the 'recent' and 'similar' topics getting more visibility and more chance of more responses where we can comment too. Those who don't comment back to the responses very rarely reach the hot topics which should be evidence that it is up to the discussion startet to get the ball rolling.
@sulynsi (2837)
This makes me think of the frustration I had today! All these people were responding to a post, but I couldn't post from where I was! I finally got back to my own PC and responded. Sorry people! I didn't ignore you!