Invasion Of Privacy

@lilaclady (28240)
Australia
Living in a single story house in between two new double story houses, I often think that double story houses with windows over looking someone elses yard is really an invasion of privacy...I don't know if there are answers or a way around it but a persons back yard is a persons personal private space so I feel that is violated when your privacy is taken away....what do you think, do you think when people build houses with windows that directly look over your yard, should some sort of screen be part of the law at the expense of those with the overlooking windows....
@rosebug23 (1909)
I think in the building stage that you can put in an objection if you think that the windows are an invasion of your privacy. Maybe you could ask your local council if there is something that can be done the worst that can happen is for them to say can't do anything or maybe you could have a look on the net .i am sure there is something that can be done. Hope you can get it sorted as it sounds awful i would hate it
@lilaclady (28240)
yeh it is awful but it is the trend these days to build up, I just don't go out into my yard very often, I just think one shouldn't have to go to Councils as that is getting on to a bad start with neighbours, I think regulations should be put into place that if you have a window over looking some-one elses yard then they should have a screen so as they can have their light and sun coming in but not over look your space...and that should be nationwide law... privacy to me is worth ever so much...
@rosebug23 (1909)
I totally agree privacy is so important and i cant believe you don't go into your back yard,i love my back garden.I don't mean to go to the council and complain i just mean ask about the rules and if anything can be done tell them that you don't want to give an official complaint but explain your position and they may have a solution
@vhansen (2029)
No.That would be nearly impossible to do and it would violate their right to build the house of their choice on their property.Now as for windows and them being able to see in,I do have a solution.Our company makes what we call solar screens.They block out 80% of the heat and sun to help with your electric bill.BUT because this is a new kind of screen,it also provides daytime privacy.People outside can't see in.At night it works the other way,so then you need curtains or blinds.We sell quit abit of them just for the privacy issue after people see them on our shop.Just something to consider.