Good old Irish common sense

Here's a bit of welcome news from the Republic of Ireland: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0719/homedefence.html The government there has published the “Criminal Law Defence and the Dwelling) Bill 2010”, which – if passed – will recognise the right of a home owner, tenant or visitor to stand their ground if attacked in a home and specifically states that there is no obligation to retreat. The bill will allow people to use reasonable force to defend themselves and also specifically states that reasonable force can – depending on the circumstances – result in the death of an intruder. Statists will scream that this is licensing vigilantism, which it obviously isn't – it's just common sense that you have the right to defend yourself and your home from attack. Here's a statement of support from Dan Hanley, vice-president of the AGSI (an organisation which represents police superintendents and inspectors, our equivalent would probably be ACPO): “The bill aims to shift the balance of rights back to the homeowner where it should always have been. It is intolerable a homeowner should be compelled to retreat in front of an intruder who has entered the home and who may have malign intentions towards the homeowner, the family or the home owner’s property." Hanley added: "It is ridiculous to suggest the bill, which attempts to redress a serious legal imbalance, would provide a license to kill or a ‘have-a-go’ charter for homeowners, the vast majority of whom will continue to act with good sense and in a peaceful way." This is exactly the sort of common sense we need more of in Britain.
@eileenleyva (8604)
Self-defense is common sense, especially when someone intrudes your own home. Reasonable force? Wow! I think I will exercise full force when intruders come to disturb my peace.
That's reasonable. If I was framing the law on self defence, you wouldn't be able to hurt criminals if they surrendered - but if they don't they've only got themselves to blame if they're harmed by their intended victims.
Self defense is common sense. I learned something new...I did not you that you previous did not have the right to defend yourself and your home. What did homeowners do before this bill? You can't always run. If someone wants to hurt your or take your property...you should have the right to defend yourself and your home against them. If someone comes in my house....well they better be prepared for trouble..because I don't play.