Do you call the Philippines - "the Phils"?

I am in the US . . . I have a Philippina friend . . . and the other day we were chatting as our kids were playing. She was telling me how clothes were cheaper at "the Phils" and kept saying "the Phils" . . . I thought she was talking about a store - hee hee. I asked her where the Phils was - and she said oops - that's what she calls the Philippines for short - it just comes out of her mouth automatically. I've just never heard of that, even though I have other Philippino friends. Do you call it "the Phils" too? I am Japanese-American . . . . and a lot of my friend here say J food, J town, J school . . . we use "J". Do you call your country or other countries by shortened names??
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Never heard of that either. I did hear an Indonesian friend refer to Indonesia as Indo...
Hey, I was just talking to an Indonesian friend today at the Y - but she just called it Indonesia. But it was interesting talking to her (I thought she was Thai all this time) - she rolls all her r's!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
I have an Indonesian co-worker who rolls his r's too.
Remember that commercial: Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroling Wrrrrrrrrrriterrrrrrrrrrr!!!
well, I only use "Phils." to shorten the name on articles (to avoid repetition) but when speaking, it's either "Philippines" or "Pinas"
Gee, I wonder if my friend is the only one who uses that term then! I know she doesn't have much family here, but she does have many friends here - maybe it's just something she does amongst her group of friends. Everyone else here said they only do that in writing too!
@jaiho2009 (39021)
It can be used only when chatting ,Phils as shorten for Philippines. But speaking in person,it can't be said or used as Phils,coz,it sounds like a name. There is no abbreviation for Philippines,the word Phils was used and commonly used via chats only.
Philippines is a sort of long word, eh? I know she just shortened it - but I was wondering if others used that term too. It does sound like a name - I totally thought she was talking about some clothing shop which I had never heard of. Perhaps she did get that word from chatting and just spoke it outloud.
i never heard that people call the Philippines as the Phils.. i guess she's just trying to shorten Philippines..
Oh yes, she's definitely shortening it. I just thought maybe "the Phils" was some hip way to say the Philippines. Everyone has their own short sayings in their native language - so I wondered if that was one of them, it was just funny to me.