Would cooking chicken in the microwave for 25 minutes be bad?

I am hoping you say no. I found my daughter was up late cooking chicken last night. She much have got tired and went to bed. I saw that it was still a bit raw to eat. So I put it in the microwave on 25 minutes. I don't want to heat up the house with the oven today. I find the cool breaze refreshing right now. Plus I found I had no more foil to cover it to keep it from drying out.
@PDBME2 (1023)
I've never tried to cook chicken in the microwave. I know what you mean about having the oven on. I have to cook 100 cookies for church and the thought of turning the oven on makes me hot. I woke up this morning when it was cool to start cooking.
The chicken came out very nice and it is very good. She needs to cook more often. The cookies have to be done so it is good you started early.
@skysuccess (8881)
giftsandbagscom, I hope you are awake as you read this. Let me begin by saying DON'T USE FOIL with microwave oven!! Also, do not use utensils with metal trim (including the gold trim on fine china), handle clamps, or fastening screws. Metal trim can cause arcing (sparking). Aluminum foil, in small amounts on the other hand, won't cause arcing in most microwaves as long as it doesn't touch the sides of the oven. Different coverings used in microwave cooking have definite purposes: Plastic Wraps: to steam and tenderize. Wax Paper: To hold in heat without steaming. Paper Towels: To absorb moisture, yet hold in heat. To obtain a crisp, crunchy crumb-coated chicken, first cook covered with wax paper, then switch to a paper towel covering and, finally, complete cooking with chicken uncovered. If the bony parts of your chicken are overcooking before the meatier parts are done, shield the bony parts by placing strips of thin aluminum foil over them. Then, remember to use whatever coverings over the chicken before replacing back into the microwave oven. Never take the easy way out. Don't ignore the standing time called for in some of the recipes. In microwave cookery, standing time allows further cooking to occur after you have removed the food from the microwave oven. Covering the food holds heat in and speeds this final, important step. Cheat on this step and you will find the chicken hard to carve and undercooked. When possible, arrange food in a circular or donuts shape; without corners, food cooks more evenly from all sides. For example, if you're cooking drumsticks, arrange them like a wagon wheel with the meatier portions at the outer edge, and the drum stick end in the center. Thin foods cook faster than thick foods because microwaves lose power after they penetrate food. Take care and have a nice day. Ref: The Perdue Chicken Cookbook - Mitzi Perdue
I now have a reason to buy these different wraps. Like wax paper thanks very much for this.
I don't think it is, i've done this myself to although I didn't really think it could be bad at all. It's so cool that the microwave cooks from the inside out ^_^ hope she is feeling fine!
This must be why the chicken came out so good. The meat is tasty and soft as well.
@sid556 (31003)
Hi gifts, I'm not sure but if it was almost all cooked and you finished it off in the microwave, I would think that would just finish the cooking process. 25 mins in the microwave should have thouroughly cooked, I would think. Don't take my word on this. I have never cooked chicken in the microwave.
I never try to cook chicken in microwave....and many peple said it is not a healthy food!
@sender621 (14956)
I don't know that I would trust cooking a chicken in the microwave. You have to be so careful when cooking certain kinds of meats. If I cook a chicken , it will be in the oven, on top of the stove or grilled. You won't find my chicken in the microwave.
As long as chicken is okay to eat, no problem with that. In the Philippines, roasted chicken is so popular.
• United Arab Emirates
No not at all.IT is safe.
I often defrost & cook chicken in the microwave, I don't cook it as long as 25 minutes but then i suppose it depends on what power setting you have the microwave on.
If you have no more foil, then you can try to find a microwavable dish that has a cover. Also, you may want to cook the chicken in 15 minute intervals, just so you can prevent it from drying out.
@lilybug (21148)
I have never cooked chicken in the microwave before, but I guess it would be ok as long as it does not get too dried out when you are cooking it. I am with another poster on the NO FOIL in the microwave. SO not a good idea.
i know everyones life is very busy these days but u know what now research are showing very surprising fact that microwave cooking makes food more carcinogenic,decrease food value by destroying nutrients, i think we should avoid food cook by oven
@salonga (27957)
I have stopped using MIcrowave eversince the controversy about Microwave cooking being bad to our healthy came up. It is better to be sure. I can anyway live without Microwave so my Microwave has been sitting in our storehouse since then.
@Boyetski (989)
In my experience food cooked in microwave dont have a good texture and a bit dry I think. Because it's cooked inside out. It's like if you entered a microwave and turned it on. You will feel nothing until youre cooked. Ahahahaha Thats maybe the reason why food cooked in microwave are dry.
@o0jopak0o (6406)
well its ok but check if its still raw inside. but i wouldnt think it will taste better if you cook it in the microwave.
@suspenseful (40316)
It would not hurt. I have done it before, but just in cutlets, etc. and not the whole bird. And I did use a sauce with it. With that chicken, it was partially cooked anyway. I have done that with meat that was still raw and we had company and it had to be done right then. It is usually best if you brown the outside of the meat first so it does not look all pale.
@cream97 (29166)
If you are talking about raw chicken, I don't think that it is safe to cook it in the microwave oven at all. If it is cooked in an conventional oven or a stove oven then that is fine. Raw meat needs to be cooked on a higher temperature. The microwave oven should only be used to reheat meats, or to cook food that is already cooked that you are just warming up. Like the Lean Cuisine or Stouffer's. Anything in this category.