Florida - did you get the $73000 dvd from Grayson?

@laglen (19783)
US Rep from Florida Alan Grayson is sending out dvds to his constituents. That sounds ok. But do you realize that the American tax payers paid for it? under the guise that Reps can send "newsletters". $73,000 is what this cost us. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-grayson-sends-dvd-20100728,0,154249,full.story In my opinion, at a time when we are all strapped, this blatant misuse of tax payer money should be called to the floor. What do you think?
@spalladino (17927)
What an idiot! Does he really think that folks will be more inclined to watch his DVD instead of reading printed information? I'm sure he knows that a decent percentage of any mailing is tossed in the trash but this is an unacceptable waste of taxpayer funds.
I think he's going for a rap song about how great he is for America. Boats n Hoes part II. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8T095mFdW8
@laglen (19783)
That was a beautiful song maters!
@matersfish (6311)
I personally think that EVERY politician should have to account for EVERY penny they spend, be it on travel, food, or whatever else they're spending it on. It's not their money. None of it is. Even "their" salary is OUR money. It's wishful thinking, I know. After all, government governs government. So they'll never voluntarily be accountable. Any accountability at all comes from trying to either paint the other side the villain for popularity purposes, or throwing a timely victim under the bus for popularity purposes. ........ And this is totally unrelated but I have to give a big LMMFAO about it since I can't find anyone else who posted it. Did anyone watch Chris Matthews as he insulted his guest for not agreeing with him? (Yes. Totally unrelated to this topic but funny as hell if you can catch it on YouTube.) Matthews says, basically, "Mexicans only come to the US because of the job situation here. The guest says, basically, "True. There are other reasons they come too, though." Matthews replies, basically, "You can't talk anymore. Bye. You're not a serious person. Liar." Sorry. I've just been itchin' to get that out there since I see it the other night.
@laglen (19783)
lmao thank you for the giggle. Chris Matthews could be a discussion all his own...if I cared. the man is crazy, maniacal, unbalanced, moronic chump. By the way, I agree anybody with a tax payer funded expense account should account for every paperclip.
@anniepa (26613)
I can't "prove" this but I watch Chris Matthews every day and I happen to remember this exchange. I can't remember the exact words but I do know it didn't happen as you described. I don't care what's been posted on You-Tube, there was more to the conversation. Annie
@laglen (19783)
lmao well said maters. Annie - what was said? how did it go down differently (this is a serious question, not me being facetious)
why aren't the people of florida calling him out on it and demanding he resign? that is what needs to be done. We need a zero tolerance for this kind of wasteful spending.
@laglen (19783)
Actually, there were people in Florida that really like him.
they can like him all they want and still hold him accountable. We can't just let them all spend us into hell. We need to hold all of the accountable...it's not their money...it's ours and they are wasting it.
@laglen (19783)
your preaching to the choir hun. I am not in Florida, but if I were I would do all I could to get him out of office.
Laglen, this is nothing new at all, and that isn't the largest amount of money spent on postage. The funny thing about this is what later in the article that you linked, they showed others in the state that spent money on postage including "U.S. Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, R-Brooksville, spent $138,801, records show." So why didn't the Orlando Sentinel, which is a right wing news paper, run an article on Ginny Brown-White?????? To quote you: "In my opinion, at a time when we are all strapped, this blatant misuse of tax payer money should be called to the floor." So why aren't you asking the same thing of Ginny???
@laglen (19783)
sorry for the oversight but I was just looking at Grayson. But there are others from both sides. They should be called out as well.
Laglen, I agree that this needs to be changed, but good luck doing it. This is just one example of how incumbents assist themselves in remaining in office. They approved of these additions to campaign assistance to maintain majorities, and ensure that incumbents have the best chance to remain in office. Millions of dollars a year are spent on this, and if they ever do privatize the post office, then it will even cost us taxpayers more. It needs to be stopped.
@laglen (19783)
so true. but hopefully shining a little light on this stuff is a good thing
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
It's a total disgrace and I agree totally with you. Its just like earlier this year when they sent out letters to tell us that we were going to receive censor forms to fill out, we paid for that too. It was a waste of money and no one seems to care about this except us the taxpayers.
@laglen (19783)
your right. Or when during the Bush admin we got letters saying we would get checks. Wouldnt it have been easier to just send the dam things? Nobody is going to complain they didnt get warning!
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Exactly, but they rather waste our tax dollars.
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
Not being a US constituent,I must ask Would such self promotion exercises be a common feature of doing US political business? I appreciate all Politicians like blowing their own trumpet,and want their constituents to know what a good job is being done on their behalf,(!) but how would they normally use this Mailshot privilege to pass out promotional bumf? by Newsletters,or glossy booklets that few would be bothered to read? how much would they cost in comparison to a DVD duplication run? I'm not defending this action that seems to have the opposition outraged,I'm just interested in finding out if it was cost effective?
@laglen (19783)
Good points,the purpose of the newsletter ability s to let their constituents know what is happening in Washington. Their self promoting crap should be covered by their campaign money.
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
I'd agree with you on who should pay for the self publicity-not the public!
@shockrayz (200)
$73K for a DVD? Imagine how much stuffs you can have with that amount of money. Or how many poor can be helped. Haha.
@laglen (19783)
and just to build his ego.
@vjenkins86 (1478)
I've never heard of this and my mom lives in Florida. That is ludicrous that a US Rep can waste $73000 on stupid DVDs and nobody is calling him on this misuse of tax payers money. CRAZY!
@laglen (19783)
It is crazy, but hopefully he will have to account for it now. The man seems unstable to me.