have your neighborhood changed a lot throughout the years?

@hotsummer (10436)
though out the years i have been living in my place. there has been so many changes have happened. our neighborhood is rather more like a residential areas. there is no establishments around our areas. all we can see are mostly residential houses. and few block away from us is the wet market and few small groceries and the church and one few small public schools and that's all i see mostly before. for you to eat in fastfood like McDonald you have to go to a mall which is quite far from our place. like fastfood restaurants, and other commercial establishments you have to go further away from our areas. but now i am surprised to see all these commercial food chain sprawling in our areas, even if our place is more like residential places. we have now Pizza Hut, Mc Donald, and other local fastfood known in our country, like Jollibee (local version of McDonald), Mang Inasal, and now a few walk away from my home a big Mall(called ShoeMart) is now being contructed. it will be opened in a year or two. we don't have to go commercial areas just to eat in fastfood or to go in a mall. like everything we wanted are just few away from my house. So many vacant places in our areas are being used as a place to build these commercial business. and i am quite happy about it. cause i want to see improvement in our areas. i wanna see more lights at night. as a decade or two ago, at night only light i see are from lamp post and few houses that are still have their lights on. now it is more like 24 hours a day, the street is busy and has light you can see. i wonder what else will they bring near my place. what will other commercial business will open near our neighborhood.
@jaiho2009 (39019)
Hello hotsummer, Same thing happened our place this recent year. Before,our place is purely a residential area with typical small stores where we can buy primary needs. A small market with few stalls of wet and dry section. After years of renovation from schools,church and also our market,now it looks like a commercial area than a residential one. Nearby a gasoline station was built with fast food chains and ATM's being placed too. High rise condominium also were under construction now. And hearing a mall is to be built soon which is just a block away from our house. Now we can't actually determine if our place is still a residential area or a commercial one. Have a wonderful weekend
@hotsummer (10436)
that is really interesting. but i am happy a mall will open up in our place or areas. as i am a mall person. when i got bored i usually go to the mall and eat and i don't have to go that far any more to do that. it is just right across the street. i am happy and i like seeing more people going around the area and it will be fun seeing people having fun inside the mall. and i can watch movies again. just near my place.
@jaiho2009 (39019)
I also consider it good and big convenience for me. I can do my grocery and shopping just a steps away.
@oplopez81 (158)
Our place, a city suburb of Metro Manila, is not much different from other places in Manila where one can see non-stop improvements and developments. Several decades ago, tricycles (public transport) pass through rough unpaved roads, residents avail of deep-well water pumps, and we have to walk through unlighted streets. Very much different from what I was used to when I was a small child, our place is now as busy and as populated as other Metro Manila cities. But really, I do miss the "good old days" where one can still smell the fresh air, birds singing the whole day (which reminds me...where are they now?), peace and quiet in the evening, and a stress-free environment.
@hotsummer (10436)
there has been good developments lately. despite the fact that our former president had been involved in many scandalous transactions, but i still think that the former administration has laid some foundation for development that the present president can continue to develop. and also the new administration has his own projects to help the poor. so we can see more changes not only on more commercial establishments. but we will see lot of changes in our roads and etc. my place looked different now because of road widening and etc. before we have no water, now water has been great since the privatization of MWSS, it is great that we don't have to use motor pump to get water now. water is flowing when we open the faucet without the need of water pump. so i hope to see more development. this little development on different things on different times will surely add up and we may see a new manila after a few years and we can see manila a beautiful city like singapore maybe. it is not impossible.
@clocks123 (1228)
in my neighborhood i live in a rented place. the landlords and a nearby neighbor had disagreements about who to give this house to which i live in now. the neighbors became divided and because i live here the people that still live here don't bother with me at all. i wave hello and that is it. the nearby neighbor passed away a few years ago but his wife is still here. my landlord has tenants across the way from me too. they are usually younger people, for example college students. the tenants don't usually stay there for the long term. i don't know them i keep to myself but keep aware of my surroundings. i understand your dilemma about changes in your neighborhood. i hope more establishments come your way so you won't have to go too far and yet remain private and safe in your home.
@Chevee (5915)
My community has changed a lot through the years. Me being here during all the upgrading it isn't very noticeable to me. But to someone that lived here long ago and returning home it would be a great change. The highway leading to the community has been widen, we have more traffic lights, to accommodate the high amount of traffic. We have a new sports area, with community centers, swimming pools, baseball parks, etc. We also have some new luxury apartments that has been built alone with condominium, and with the new Kia Plant that was built in the neighboring city, we have more people of another culture here in the area. In the end it really is becoming a nice place to live and raise a family, if you like country living.
@hotsummer (10436)
wow it seems that your place or area has lot of things to offer. it is great to know you have swimming pool , community centers in your community. i wonder if our area can develop our community into something like that. it will be cool to be in a place like that.
@o0jopak0o (6407)
well it did not change that much, the only thing that change is there is a specialty bakery a few blocks from our house and thats basically it. But for the whole are it really didnt change much. its still really quiet.
@hotsummer (10436)
do you like it more that way. or do you want to see more malls and popular fastfood and restaurants to open up in your place. at first i didn't like the idea of having a mall with the residential areas. it is one big mall for sure as the vacant lot they are developing was a big big vacant lot. but i just take things in positive light. i see it is part of development and progress of place. after all it will not make our place polluted in any with these establishments. only that i see these fastfoods around but i don't but their or eat there as i am on a diet. but happy to see my place turning to be a one beautiful place.
@lacieice (2065)
Several years ago, the area I now live in was a major shopping area, but that was before malls became all the rage. Now, the downtown section is nearly empty. All the stores are empty and boarded up. Only things that are there are junk shops. Where I live, it used to be a very quiet neighborhood. Now, it's becoming a scary place with too many fights, too much noise, police running around all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the police are here, I just wish they didn't have to be. We're trying to sell our house, but the area is becoming so run down, we just might be stuck here.
@hotsummer (10436)
there were some malls that closed down or not as popular place with people any more. as now more bigger malls are setting up killing the smaller malls. and the up that is built near our home is the most popular mall in the philippines. medium scall malls don't set up their shop now in some residential areas. only this big names are trying to set up malls throughout the country . This Mall Called SM is like a trademark of being a filipino. like McDonald's to US. OR walmart to US. anyways, it is sad that your place has become like dangerous place. in my case it was the other way around. before my area was like a place with so much fighting and i was not spared from this kind of enviroment. but now things are changing it is getting a better place. like the quiteness and peace of being in a mall, where we don't see fights and etc, is like we have now in our place and it is great the biggest Mall in the country has set up a branch in our place. and their plan building is really really big. Philippines has one of the biggest mall in the world. As people here are poor, they tend to go to malls if they want to relax and living in tropical country malls are a place for retreat and to escape from heat as not many have their own air conditioners.
@kalav56 (11503)
The place I stay here is fairly new to me because I relocated to this big city only 4 years back .But what you have said has happened exactly in a simialr manner in my former residence in my hometown.As such even before 4 years it was a changed environment from what was seen some 40 years ago.Forty years ago there were not even many houses in my street barring a few bungalows here and there. Later, there came about new houses . After a period, the roads developed, more buses were plying about and new shops had sprung in the vicinity7.THere was steady development and important banks started being set up in the main road close to my house. But after that in the recent past , many doctors had established their private clinics and built their own houses there. Now, many of the decent looking individual houses ranging from 2400 to 7000 sq.feet are being converted into apartments and flats and there are multiple storeys too depending on the size of the ground. Now,If someone gets down from my former house you bump into a huge nursing home, near which there is a tea stall, a pharmacy, a roadside restaurant,a huge departmental store , a bank, a retail store --------and many more.It is a great place which provides every convenience possible.IT is of course natural in asmall town. The place where I live presently has also shown soem development in the past 4 years and there is no paucity of conveniences here and for a big city, this place is extraordinary for its many conveniences.
@hotsummer (10436)
i would understand if there were more houses in residential areas as years gone by but it is surprising if commercial establishments like you mentioned would set up their business right beside or in the middle of the residential areas. and it is really great to have them . it is very convenient as it is like every thing you would need and would want to buy would just be some steps away from your house. you don't have to have a drive to some place just to go to those commercial establishment like i used to. before when there was not much establishment like McDonald's , if ever i want to eat a burger i need to go to a mall. though i love going to the mall but not every time i have the time to do that. but when i was younger it is just fine cause i have the time in the world to go to the mall any time that i want. now i have more responsibilities in life i don't often get the chance to go to the mall and i can't leave home that often as i need to stay at home most of the time , i can just buy those favorite food of mine by just having a quite walk to McDonald's and i don't have to leave home that long. it will just 10 minutes and i will be back at home already. it is really convenient. and i wish that there will be more commercial establishements would set up their business in our areas. i can see they were buying those old houses and old stores and those big names like Mcdonald's and pizza hut were taking their place. and there are more food business are setting up again. i can see another construction with a big banner of the name of the restaurant. it was really cool.
I've noticed how things have changed. Where I used to live about thirty minutes from here. Theyre was a hensley's grocery store and Food City came in and the store just couldn't keep up. It was really high priced anyways. He was always getting by with it because it was the only grocery store in town. Also since my freshmen year in highschool they added three red lights up there as well. I know it doesn't sound much but for a town that has been too and far in between they're catching up it's just going to take time. It took them a long time just to get a mcdonalds up there. Then when that happened there was a hardees that followed suit. Hammers had been in this location for years and they got booted out. Just brought everything to one store. With all the walmarts and supercenters going on they really wouldn't have lasted much longer. More and more people are getting cars when they get at driving age and more and more parents are getting concerned about there credit and lending history. Now, Where I moved to was where I was actually born. The city itself hasn't changed much close by except that the envangel book store that had been there as long I could remember had went out of business and the target store that was on the corner got tore down and the target went closer to east town mall. The building that took its place was a brand new Kroger grocery store and they shut down the Kroger in Halls and the one down town and brought them together here at the new one.
@hotsummer (10436)
about small stores and shops closing down the big Names came in, i think it may happen also on the small stores in our area. it will sure affect other small stores or groceries that we have now here. i don't know how much the effects of this Big Mall to those stores around it. but i am hoping that those little stores will somehow survive and will not close down because of the stiff competition.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Things change I guess. When I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley (yep, I'm a valley girl lol), it was just changing from being an agricultural area with lots of orange groves, to a suburban area with housing developments. I'd go driving with my parents past all these open areas, and the older I got, the more of them got built up. Now the valley is pretty much part of Los Angeles proper and there really are no more vacant lots or farms or groves.