Is it natural to have an unnatural fear of SHARKS!

@burtle (213)
New Zealand
I am so concerned about Sharks that I think twice about swimming in the sea! Is this normaly or do I suffer from some kind of paranoia, probably brought on by scary shark movies?
@pagli84 (1850)
• Netherlands
well i dunno if its natural or unnatural but i have the same kind of paranoia. i refuse to swim in the sea..and its not only because of sharks, but like all the other animals that live in the water!! i just hate not being able to see my feet or what im stepping on..or what is under the waves. its so scary to me.
@burtle (213)
• New Zealand
I hear you.... the worse thing is waterskiing, when you fall off and are waiting for the boat to come around and pick you up. this always makes me feel like shark food! I now aim to ski in lakes.
@moneyseeker (1024)
I guess it depends where you live or are swimming. I live in Cornwall, England and the only sharks about are harmless basking sharks. Now if I was in Australia or NZ I'd be apprehensive about swimming.
@burtle (213)
• New Zealand
Apparently even going for a walk along the beach can be dangerous..Think you're safe in shallow water? Most attacks take place in waist deep water or less. Remember that shark-eye view - so many legs, so little time .. Sometimes there's no reason at all that makes a shark aggressive - one case of a grandmother walking her grandson along the edge of the beach saw a dark form headed straight for them, lifted her grandson in the air, only to see a four foot shark beach itself in an attempt to bite him. As they continued their walk on the dry area of beach, several more sharks followed them 200 yards up the beach.
@SarahJaya (412)
It is natural to have fears. I don't think fear of Sharks is unnatural. I am scared of Lizards and Frogs. I am even scared of small frogs.
@burtle (213)
• New Zealand
Frogs, now theres an interesting one, have not had much to do with them myself, however I imagine they could be a little bit creepy!
@luskas (3430)
• Portugal
Well i think is nothing but a paranoia like you said... I mean of course they´re fearless animals and with all respect you shouldn´t be worried about it. Then again i´m supposed to think that you don´t go swim to the shark bay do you?
@Solja420 (2508)
everybodys scared of sharks....
@burtle (213)
• New Zealand
yeah everyones scared of sharks, but I am so scared I wont go water skiing in the sea because I think a great white shark is going to come along and take a nibble. I used to windsurf and I was so freaked I never fell off.
@pumpkinjam (5567)
I think it's normal for almost everyone to have a phobia of something. It might be irrational but it's not abnormal. A lot of people have the same kind of fear of spiders. Now, if you compare a spider to a shark, I think your fear is a lot more rational! However, with most phobias, there is usually an underlying reason for them eg. a childhood memory of a bad experience.
@burtle (213)
• New Zealand
Well I have seen a few sharks out at sea, however have never been part of their dinner plans so far. To me it just would seem the worst way to go, eaten up and spat out by a sharp toothed fish!
@SarahJaya (412)
@tibido (4081)
i don't know