I have had an adventure - anyone surprised?

@Trensue (5247)
I am not fond of thunder and lightening storms. Okay, I am terrified of thunder and lightening storms. Last week the clouds began to build up and I went around the house and for whatever reason this time I unplugged everything. The computers, both fridges, both stoves, all the tv's - anything I could unplug I did. My brother was home ill and was chuckling. A rather loud clap of thunder came and he hollered downstairs to see if I was alright. I said in my wimpy little voice I was fine. About five minutes later there was a very bright light and such a loud noise that I made it upstairs and by his side in three strides. I am very short and there are 22 steps (I just went and counted them.) We timidly looked outside. There were downed power lines in the yard. One of the lines had wrapped around a semi on the road next to us. We called 911. They responded rather quickly. The power company on the other hand kept asking me if it was an emergency. I selected number two - the emergency option for a reason. Is anyone else having life adventures?
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yikes, no life adventures like this. Two weeks ago, when you posted this, I was getting ready to go on vacation, on a camping trip to the redwoods. No lightning, thank goodness...
@Trensue (5247)
I envy you. I would love to see the redwoods. Maybe someday.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
It was pretty gorgeous. Meanwhile, if you want to see pictures: http://rddcn.multiply.com/photos/album/277/redwoods
@Canellita (12058)
Why do I get the feeling there is a lot you have left out of this story? Did lightening hit the power lines? Did the transformer blow? Was someone in the truck?
@Trensue (5247)
Oh I probably did. Yes the driver was in the truck and the sheriff and rescue crew got him out and into the ambulance. The lightening hit the power pole right next to my window and then the glass looking little things on the power lines going in both directions for about 1/2 mile broke and those lines fell - There were a whole lot of people with no power for awhile. I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining at all. Anyway - everyone lived and all is well.
@Canellita (12058)
That was quite an adventure.
@mommaj (22711)
Thank goodness I am not having anything as exciting as that. My daughter hates loud noises so thunder and lightning at my house is always followed by at least one scream and an "It's okay." yell from me. LOL We are having our own little adventures. My daughter's teacher thinks I am too wimpy and should take things away from her. Last week we had to go back to school or at the least return to the classroom before leaving the premises four times. I was really peeved about it. The teacher was telling me about the science experiments to do in the kitchen and to take them away from our daughter if she couldn't get "it" together. I told her I don't like take educational things away from her. I got a lecture how school and home should be treated equally... BLAH BLAH BLAH. Needless to say we disagreed a little on that. I think education is more important than say watching tv or playing some of the games on the computer. Those I will take away from her. This week we will get a "treasure" if we can keep it together all week. She is trying so hard. Bless her heart she just isn't organized or fast enough.
@Trensue (5247)
Man ~ this teacher needs to get an education. Home is a learning place, but not a school. A home is designed to nurture first and teach 2nd. How old is your daughter? Is there a treasure or reward for effort?
@mommaj (22711)
I am giving her rewards if she can go a week at a time without leaving stuff in the classroom. If she tells me before we leave school she gets a reward too. If I have to drive back to school or find out on my own that she forgot something she gets a million questions and a lecture on trying harder. The teacher also recommended her for gifted and talented program. I didn't know why until I found out she is reading between third and fourth grade reading levels. Of course, that may be normal, I'm not sure. The AR books she is tested on are between 3.1 and 4.3. I don't know what to think of the teacher or my daughter. LOL
@ptrikha_2 (7444)
Well, such things do terrify us. The power of nature is too powerful for us at times. Have a good time ahead. Regards
@Trensue (5247)
I doubt I will be spending much time dancing in the rain for a couple of weeks!
@vhings_88 (294)
I hate lightning and thunder storms too, I'm really afraid of those. Its quite an adventure but not exciting for me, it seems frightening and lucky you're ok. Others struck by lightning never survived. I saw lightning struck the ground just a few meters outside the house and it created a really loud noise. I was young when it happened and I could not remember the real story.
@Trensue (5247)
It does make a very loud noise and bright light. I hope to forget about it all soon!
@oldchem1 (8144)
That sounds terrifying!! I am quite scared of thunder and lightening myself so I can imagine how you must of felt, I'm glad that you weren't hurt.