Favorite Part of the Country Fair

One of the activities I try to do with my daughters every summer is to attend the country fair where we used to live. Living rural was a joy and something I hope to do again in the not to distant future. Life in the country has its own pace, the people seem different somehow and it just feels right to me. In any case, when the annual fair would take place, all the kids would get a Friday off school and families would attend the fair together... taking part in food and craft competitions, showing and selling their animals, along with having fun on the rides and taking in the entertainment. It was a long weekend to really kick off the summer! Have you been to a country fair? What is your favorite part? The midway rides? A big cone or bag of cotton candy? Sampling or buying delicious homemade treats? I find it hard to choose just one... the country fair is just great fun and it's over all too soon!
@JenInTN (27565)
We went to the country fair last week. I guess my favorite part is the rides. My girls love them too. I like walking through the exhibits too. I almost entered one of my paintings this year but I didn't get around to it. Maybe next year. Oh..I like the petting zoo too.
I used to love the rides, as well... can't do them anymore but it's still fun to see my daughters having a great time. We've been pretty lucky to have some good entertainment at the fair also... bands, singers, dancers. Makes for a good night after spending the day on the fairground. I hope you'll enter a painting next year... I'm sure it would be fun to compete. I wanted to try entering one of the baking or canning categories, myself, but never ended up trying. I sure do appreciate everyone else's talents and contributions though :)
@katsmeow1213 (28715)
We have many fairs around here... one is very very large.. it's the Great NY State Fair.. it would take more than a day to see the whole thing.. we try to go at least once a year, but it costs us a lot of money. There's a lot of food we want to eat, lots of games to play, lots of rides the kids want to go on.. we could spend an entire paycheck there and still not feel satisfied! Then you have your weekend carnivals here and there.. and a few county fairs. We don't always go to those.. if we have money and know of it in advance we'll go, but it's not something we make sure to get to. Then there's our fall festival at the end of September. It lasts the whole weekend. There's an arts and crafts tent, some rides, not many games, a bit of food. We always go to that. It's not really impressive.. but it's still fun. It's held in our very small community, so we know most of the people there and I go mostly to socialize with friends... and my kids get to socialize with their friends also. I do like the small town feel to our fall festival.. but it's also fun to go to the big NY fair as well.
OMG you're right about the cost of some of the fairs, katsmeow1213. This year, the fair I was referring to switched to a bracelet for the rides. Every other year, it has been tickets. The bracelet is expensive but a much better deal if the kids go on a lot of rides. I can't go on the rides anymore (ever since I had kids, my whole equilibrium is shot) so I don't spend any money on that part for myself. I understand what you mean about your fall festival... we used to have something called "Field Day" when I was growing up. It was put on by the local homeowners' association. There was a little "stage" area for music and dancing, games and races for the kids, food stands, etc... but no rides. It was definitely a social occasion where people met up with their family and friends at the end of the summer. Sort of the time to reconnect. It was a blast as it was held in a huge open lot right near our house. It was also held at the same time as my birthday so, for me, it was like a really big birthday party courtesy of the town LOL
@savypat (20248)
I love to see the animals, all the homemade goodies and above all else the tractor pull.
Oh yes! The tractor pull, demolition derby, even the greased pig contest for the kids... those are a lot of fun to watch! I like to visit the quilt exhibits (those are some talented ladies!) and I love to wander around and see the animals, too... especially the horses. I wanted to own a couple of horses while I was living in the country but had to move to the suburbs unexpectedly for a number of reasons and had to give up my property. The people that bought it from me converted the extended garage into a stable. I saw of photo of it and it was an amazing remodel. Six very nice sized stalls. Maybe, by the time I'm able to move again, the house will be up for sale... LOL... one never knows. They've already put it up for sale one in the ten years I've been gone. Funny how I've never forgotten and still check on it now and then.
@Canellita (12059)
We don't really have those, but occasionally churches or schools do something similar on a smaller scale. I guess when I was young I would have said I like the rides. Now I suppose I like the quaintness that reminds me of yesteryear.