Are you scared of dark?

@rmnrmn (583)
I really feel scared of dark. My friends and siblings make fun of me that I am a kid that scared in dark. I don't know how to solve this problem of darkfobia. Could you suggest me something so that my problem is solved.
i am nearly 62 years old and am really scared of the dark. Not outside, i enjoy walking on the beach in the dark or taking the dog out late at night. but indoors, brr, really scary. I have to have the hall light on at night, cannot deal with a totally dark room. when i was a child i had to have a little nightlight and now i am an adult i still have to have light. I have tried very hard to sleep in our bedroom with the light off, but if the door is open and there is that dark hallway, well, my imagination runs riot. yes , i do watch and enjoy horror films, but the dark indoors really freaks me out. Many years ago when in my teens in my first job, the filing system was down in the basement and it was my job to file. yes you have guessed it , someone, ( i never found out who) turned the light off and i was in the pitch dark, not a happy memory,so you are not alone in being scared of the dark. Can't stand heights either !!
just read the response before mine and that triggered a memory, when i was between 8/12 years old, my friends mum suggested that instead of being scared of the dark, every time i went into a dark room, i imagined Jesus or an angel behind the door. Someone behind the door ?? wow even worse !!doesnt matter who it is!!
@rmnrmn (583)
Thanks a lot to share your interesting childhood experience of dark fear :-)
@Neo333X (171)
I used to be when I was smaller but only after I watched a horror movie.Now it hard to get scared, maybe a chill I enjoy after a good horror movie :)
@rmnrmn (583)
Thank you for your comment :-) yes horror movie sometime make bold people to be scared.
I probably won`t be able to help you there because I, too, am scared of the dark. It's just the thought that I won't be able to see if there's anything nasty or scary in the dark waiting for me. Chills my blood. I admit I never outgrew it.
@rmnrmn (583)
Thanks for your comment :-) yes its very difficult to me too to vanish my scare of darkness.... but one thing help me to handle my scareness is remembering God in that tough situation.
@JamesKYTan (1607)
Scare of the the dark is called scotophobia, nyctophobia, achluophobia or lygophobia. Such long words. How to pronounce these words, eh? When I was in primary school I was really frighten of the dark. During those times when I went to the bathroom at night I sang aloud nursery rhymes to give me courage. But now I am a senior citizen, I am no more afraid of the dark. Nevertheless when we discuss on the subject of the devils my hair stands on ends, I call the Precious Name of Jesus. I feel courage. You I try this.
@rmnrmn (583)
Thank you for your advise:-) I will definately try it to vanish my fear of darkness.
@shia88 (4582)
Hi, I do scared of dark especially during night time. When I was a kid, I scared to be alone at home at night time. I just have that kind of weird feeling to stay alone at a house. If during daytime, then it is fine with me. Last time, when I go to bed, I will have a dim light in my bedroom as I scared of darkness,but now I do not need any dim light when I go to bed. I will off the light and sleep in the darkness,I can fall sleep easier when the room is in darkness.
@rmnrmn (583)
Thanks for your comment :-) Yes daytime is ok for me too.
@frishy (222)
i just scared in the dark if i watch horror movies, i can't really sleep i end up open my lights 'til morning i'm like a child.
@rmnrmn (583)
sme goes to me.....we have same problem. My mylot friends suggest me to remember God when I scared or divert my attention to other activities like listening to music or face he fear of darkness to overcome it. I think this advise might help you too :-)
I don't have any idea how to solve your problem, i think all you can is to face your fears so you can overcome it. Or else have your flashlight always with you lol. And besides there's no such thing of ghost. :)
@rmnrmn (583)
Thank you godslove25 for your encouragement of facing my fear of darkness to overcome it :-) I never seen any ghost in my life.....but when i saw horror movies I feel ghost is near me.......
I'm not afraid of the dark because any bad things that have happened to me have been in the day time. When I was young I was afraid but I have outgrown it now. I think you will over come your fear and definitely pray about it =) That always helps me when I'm scared. I'll pray for you as well.
@rmnrmn (583)
So sweet of you :-) Thanks lilangelspreschool for pray for me. I also pray for you that Gad bless you my friend!
@sk66rc (4261)
Acutally, I'm quite fond of the night time & darkness. It calms me down when I'm sitting or laying down with lights out at night. Try having some relaxing time by yourself in the dark. May be listening to music you like, talking on the phone.
@rmnrmn (583)
Thank you for your advise :-) I will apply it too to solve my problem of scaring darkness.
@ruthsm (222)
• Thailand
I used to be afraid of the dark too. It's not a good feeling. It's crippling especially when I was visiting relatives in the province where there's no electricity. I couldn't be left alone in the dark. My mind would go wild and I would see all kinds of scary images forming in the dark. The only time I overcome it was when I submitted myself to God. I started believing that God is with me and He loves me and that He would not let any harm befall upon His beloved. I then started to recite Psalm 91 until I memorized it. It's a short chapter and it helped a lot. Please, if you don't have a Bible with you right now, you may search it online to see the verses that could free you from this bondage. I'll be praying for you...I hope you get over it soon.
@rmnrmn (583)
Thanks friend for sharing your exprience with me :-) Yes I also belive in God and recite Surah to overcome it...Yes remembering God help me a lot overcoming my fear.....
• United Arab Emirates
I am not scared of the dark. but i will be fooling myself if i say i am not always scared. there are times when it was dark and i was scared bcos of a loud sound or noise.
@rmnrmn (583)
hm..same incident happen to me many times.....thanks for your comment :-)
@koditza (235)
I sometimes have problems with darkness. If I happen to be alone in the room and I hear noises, I freak out. Or if I'm thinking at that moment at weird, creepy stuff, or a scary movie I saw. And also if I walk at night in really dark areas I freak out if I'm alone. One suggestion about not being scared can be thinking that there is nothing weird and creepy going there; imagine that everything is just as it is in the light, but now you just don't see them. And don't ever think about weird sounds. and if you hear them , try to find a logical explanation so you won't be scared :D
@rmnrmn (583)
Thanks a lot for your advise..... hope it will help me to overcome my fear of darkness ... but in darkness unusual sounds or shawdow make me nervous that i cant think logically...
@jamuls (530)
you can't cure that fear if you avoid it. how old are you? and why is the dark scaring you? darkness has never been an issue with me. hmmm...
@rmnrmn (583)
I am 22 years old lady. I donno why I scared in darkness.... I feel somthing wrong will going to happen in darkness.....I will be harmed .......
@adhyz82 (36263)
i think when iam mature, i am not scared anymore with the dark :)
@rmnrmn (583)
Good you dont afraid in darkness..... I wish I feel the same way..