do you think beauty pageants are really for the kids or for their parents?

seems like when they have pageants you always see these obsessive parents and when it involved kids it seems like the parents are more into it than their kids!! if the girls are older like teenage it seems like its more for them (the girls) because they have more control.. do you think that pageants are more for the kids or parents? or do you think it depends on age? do you think the prizes even come close to making it to where they even break even with all the costs of the outfits and etc?
@syankee525 (6295)
i would say for the parents, some push the kids way too much to do good
oh i know its so horrible!
@redhotpogo (4398)
A bit of both I would say. For the kids it's their chance to dress up and be a princess. Every little girl's dream. But mostly I would say it's for the parents. They get to live their dreams through their kids, have something they can brag about, and make money off of them.
i dont see how many parents make money since the outfits and travel expenses are so much but if they are good enough to make money then why not if the kid enjoys it.. but jeeze what they pay is insane for those outfits etc
@dpk262006 (56170)
I think beauty pageants are for those, who are taking part in it, no doubt respective parents also get involved in it and want their kid/daughters to succeed.
yeah but i think it really depends on the age of the child.. a baby or young kid i dont think would really understand and appreciate it but yet a teen i could see pushing their parents to let them do it
@damned_dle (3944)
You mean like Little Miss Sunshine? I love that movie. That will explain everything about the issue. It really depends on the kids, if they really want it. But the parents should not force them to do it or not even encourage them if they don't want to.
i watch some of those shows that follow the parents and some of them even tell their kids they need to win so they can have the new car or pay their bills etc! its like they are using their kids as a cash cow and the kids are too young to realize it! a 6 year old shouldnt feel they need to win a contest so their family can afford their bills when its their parents that spent so much on their pageant crap that made them go into debt
I think it is for the parent's pleasure. They plant this idea into their children's mind that it is for the glory of the kids but little girls as young as 8 should not even be so worried about hair and make up. It's parents like that , who teach their kids the "importance" of lookds, that destroy our nation's true morals.
whats scary is when they start them off as babies and all those kids know is pageants!
This has always seemed to be the case from what I've read, heard, and seen in movies. But I think in a respect, some kids really do enjoy it, and the parents only want them to do it because it makes their kid happy. And that's really the way to go, in my opinion. I find the whole pageant thing to be a bit on the sadistic side, don't you? Judging young girls - who are fragile and usually not used to society's unattainable "norms" for beauty, and I just don't really think there are any valuable lessons to be learned from it all. But I guess if I had a daughter (which I don't), and it made her happy..Well, more power to her then for pursuing something that she enjoys. I can't imagine a parent seriously trying to live vicariously through their daughter or son. That seems really ridiculous to me. But I've seen it in movies, or TV, I think - where the mom is pushing really hard for her daughter to win because the MOM never got to win, or never got to participate. This is such a weird concept for me. I don't know. As far as expenses go, I would imagine that you wouldn't really break even unless she won some kind of money prize, which only the 1st through 3rd do, right? And even then, I think sometimes they win a scholarship or trust or bond/CD instead, and not green money. So, financially speaking, it might be a "wasted" experience but at least your daughter got the experience out of it, so not a total loss.