You don't make a million friends without having a few enemies!

I was walking at the mall yesterday and I read this new adage printed on a tarpaulin near Starbucks. You don't make a million friends without having a few enemies. Or perhaps everybody knows this already except me. But it really got me thinking about my accumulating friends in mylot. There are some who totally disagreed with many of my opinions. But I never honestly thought of them as enemies. We just don't jibe, I surmised. Oh, I remember one who I am really peeved at because he kept on feeding false info and destructive criticisms. So this adage must be true. What do you think? Have you earned enemies in the process of socializing in mylot? If so, perhaps we must ask admin to add Number of Enemies in our profile, too. JOKE!
'Friends' in myLot have a totally different purpose and it is left to us to make the best use of this category. If we find that someone acts nasty we have the freedom to just walk away. I too have come across those that make me uncomfortable as their responses/comments have nothing to do with the topic in question and when that happens I size them up and leave them alone. They too have a right to be here and do what pleases them. Even if they revisit my page I just ignore them and move on. I don't see any problem here as they are strangers with masks.
@mac_fish (723)
The attitude of allknowing expressed here to handle with those "enemies" here si really Chinese style,that I'm used to be.To be modesty and tolerant,no need to be so serious, much less in sim world.....
mac_fish, that is a universal philosophy. It is called human kindness. allknowing, I don't wear mask. My real name is my avatar. And that is my photo showing me without make-up.
Good for you if you are comfortable revealing your true self as normally we are discouraged from doing it in the virtual world!
@thanks1961 (7049)
Hi dear, I don't know it is like you. I have created enemies only when I started this kind of work. I had a great deal of good and trusted friends, who are worth anything. Except a few behind, all become my life time enemies only as I send some referrals and asked them to join with some of such business. I made all of them angry and cut-off my relationship for ever. They lost even money and made me to moral obligation to their loss. In my past 6-7 years I crated hundreds of such enemies by referring their name to some of the business and helped them for a huge losses. The result is that I cannot send any referral or anything to anybody. Once my name is reflected anywhere, they will just delete. This is the companies done for the public as they are working for the company. Many of such companies duped and run away from the market taking away our money and we became helpless when they are asked for it. However, I have only 1 referral to myLot and he is not registered also. But I didn’t asked them to continue, because the ultimate answer is not with us, if anything happens at any point of time, I will be the victim and culprit. So, done so much good for all, and I don't have any one around when I am in need of anything. Regards, Thank-s
thanks, be careful, I also don't want my name given just to anyone. I do hope you've learned your lesson. You can begin anew though.
Hi dear, Thans for your advice. Best of luck and have a nice day. Regrads, Thank-s
That's the spirit!
@ybong007 (6659)
That's interesting but if that's the case i still have a long way to go (reaching a million friends) before i have enemies. But seriously, i learned to veer away from potential enemies in my friends list. The longer we stay here we will acquire a sense of perception as to what kind of person a member is based on his posts. From experience, i learned to have a perception that a certain member is not open to debate or looks like a ticking time bomb based on how he expresses himself through his posts. That gives me a clue whether to respond or not to respond. If i have to respond, i make sure that my comments are not offensive. If if i have the slighest hint that a friend wants a heated debate then i won't post anymore to the thread. But still i could be wrong because my mylot rating is still a 9.
Hi 007, I understand your reason and your desire not to offend anyone. I work on principle though. If I think the post is not true or erring, then I say so. I cannot deceive anyone or pretend I am kind. If the mylotter gets peeved, so be it. Truth must prevail at all times.
@ybong007 (6659)
No wonder you why you have a few enemies . But i don't think it's worth the trouble as far as i'm concerned. I'm here to enjoy and earn on the side. Having the thought that i may have offended anybody only add to the pressure and may even affect my willingness to go back this site.
I cannot concede my faith. And the enemies become inevitable. So I let them come. Mylot had become my mission. If I could make a difference to at least one or two people, I would have been happy knowing that than to have done nothing at all. In the process though, I do get to enjoy mylotting. For one it relieves me of my stress and for another I do get to bully someone. Sincerely, mylot had been a worthwhile leisure.
@nangisha (3504)
Hi Eileen!. I have not got enemy yet in mylot. I hope I will not have one in the future. I have few people that I don't like in real world who totally rude and selfish. I don't make conflict with them, I just avoid them and make a minimal contact with them.
@nangisha (3504)
Its cross to my mind too. I can see you are active in making discussion , not like me who enjoying responding it than making one. do you know who they are?.
I don't think I've earned enemies here. In real life, probably, but not here. Or maybe I'm speaking too soon, Not any THAT I'M AWARE OF. Sometimes people just don't like eachother. It's not that anyone did anything wrong, certain personality types just don't mesh well, so they clash.
I somewhat agree with you. Forgive me, but there are some people that you dislike for no apparent reason. You can't find something wrong with that person but somehow you do not like to be with him.
I get that feeling all the time, op. And for feeling such, I think I have garnered lots of people who just don't like me, for3.
@ladym33 (11009)
I think I only made one enemy here on mylot and that was a few years back. We disagreed with each other politically which can of course always cause problems with people. Normally I stay out of political discussions and I will usually just knod if I disagree because I know how passionate people can be about politics, I find it is best to only talk to people about politics who believe the save as you do unless you are looking for a fight, but in this one instance this person was spouting off so much and his information was not even correct and it just made me mad so I responded to his discussion. I was polite but pointed out the errors of what he was saying and of course he responded. It started out reasonbly polite, but it kept getting worse and worse, until he ended the discussion by calling me a name then I was done. I have not really seen that person on here since.
That is not nice. Did you request for deletion?
@Tresaqwe (376)
I believe that no matter how nice or calm or sweet a person is, people will still hate them or disagree with them even if they put out the opinion they are stating in a kind way. Enemies come and go, but really, there's no use wasting time on someone who shouldn't really bother you in the first place. This reminds me for the new movie coming out called the Social Network, about the creators of Facebook being sued for invasion of privacy and all of these other things. The slogan for it is "You don't make 500 million friends without making a few enemies." So, just wanted to add that along here with what I think of the quote! Haha. XD
Wow, that must be the campaign message at Starbucks. People go there not just for coffee but most likely for the internet.
@tomitomi (5441)
Hi eileenleyva! One enemy may be just too many. But we simply can't avoid that because it's very hard to please anyone. And for keeping a million friends we may end up having a few enemies or as you said people we don't jibe with. We either make friends or otherwise here in myLot. It's hard not to as everyone of us is different. And it's even harder not to comment either whether we agree or disagree. Love your suggestion, anyway.
Hamartia! No way out, ha ha. Very true.
When I first started on mylot. There was this jealous person mad at me because I was posting so much. She went around and started telling people I was making up stories on mylot. I had it out with her on mylot too. Later she came to message me to say sorry. Why could she not say sorry where everyone could see it. She is not here anymore.
I experienced that when I was a newbie. One commented I was losing the credibility. Someone even challenged with Don't push it. I was appalled but couldn't fathom why they wrote such things. And because they had friends like them, they came in droves. I fought back and they left me alone.
• Bangalore, India
good,i have a lot of dissaprovals too and i have a look at the profile of them and i reply at then with the reply of fun so that they have a thought of real friendship with me and as like that i have got a lot of friends now in mylot and i am not too popular in mylot but i wand to reach my aim to have a good relation with all the lotters here and that is my small idea too..there are a lot one have to go with the world happenings and in ny way i trust in true friendship and love..i never forget my friends..have fun..eileenleyva..!!
I am having fun, vishnumuthu, and I hope you are, too. Just be who you are and you will never go wrong.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
I guess we all have made enemies on mylot & in life rather we meant to or not. One good thing about mylot u can delete the undesirables, too bad when we can't do tht in real life.
Yup, that is really a problem.
@suryachalla (1370)
Thumbs up! - This photo shows a "Thumbs up" implying "Keep it up" or "All the best".
Not only that, but the few enemies you make would be powerful! Though it sounds just like the cliche: You can't make an omelet without breaking an egg, what you said is true. One who gives false info and scathing personal criticisms cannot mix in an atmosphere of information-exchange and playful banter, like mylot, or in any other atmosphere for that matter! Just ignore such guys and proceed with your own convictions and "likes". Speaking of enemies, no. I don't go to that level; only to the level of feeling irritated with their childish prattle and peevish mentality. I then avoid them and continue writing on interesting discussions and interacting with insightful mylot friends. All the best!
I got a bit disconcerted in the beginning but I learned to live with the eccentricities. To each his own, I guess. Mylot, after all, is a social networking site. I live with the Desiderata maxim There will always be greater and lesser people than you are...even the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.
@ElicBxn (60142)
I've never had a problem with "friends" not being friendly - they sometimes come on board and don't DO anything, but that's not too bad - the only ones I delete are either not around for AGES and AGES or PM me money making sites unsolicited...
You are a good captain. You know prospective flotsam and jetsam and you throw them out.
@tedifa (1235)
I don't agree with Starbucks. For me one enemy is too much, and a thousand of friend are not enough. It's difficult to get a good friend that the enemies. In mylot i think i don't have a enemy. They're all my best friend.
tedifa, I like enemies. Most of the time, they tell the truth about who we really are. We don't like it and we tend to get hurt but we also live good lives. Enemies help us weigh our choices. Friends are blessings. They are special people who would be there for you even if you are gawky and cross.