Time to get Up and At 'em

We are up early this Wednesday morning for the beginning of another school year. My daughter is in second grade this year and to prepare for the day, we set out her school clothes last night and this morning I had to climb up the stairs to get her out of her warm, cozy bed. That brought me to the entire point of this discussion, how do you get ready for school in the morning? Do you set your clothes out the night before so you can sleep a little bit later, or do you rush in the morning to get ready and get to school? What other things do you or your child have to do in order to get ready for school in the morning?
@Ruby722 (798)
The thing is I get up early for my work.You know in this city people start work from 7.00 what a crazy! No i still want to sleep..poor me..
I am not now and I have never been a morning person. I couldn't imagine having to get up extremely early.
@cher913 (25890)
wow, your school year starts early? when do the kids get out? my kids dont go back til the day after labour day, but they dont get out til the end of june. my girls are old enough to figure out what to wear (though i did do that when they were younger) and i start making their lunch the night before and they make their sandwiches in the morning.
If everything goes right, they will be done with their school year on the week before Memorial Day. However, in her first two years of school it has never worked out like that because we've had a lot of snow days during the course of the winter. People around here just don't know how to deal with snow.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I do everything on the fly in the morning, but I have a good memory and I give myself enough time to get everything done. Only time I get messed up is when the kids start fighting or something.
Either that or on those days that the children just really don't want to get those things done that they know they have to get done before the school day starts.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Or they forget...
Yes, definitely that too.
@bounce58 (17524)
My older son has gotten used to finding his clothes near the stairs in front of the washroom. Usually, when he wakes up in the morning, he is still half-asleep. And it is just easier for him to have his clothes ready there. We've tried the rush-rush before. The stress is just not worth it. Specially if you yourself is also half-asleep.
Isn't that the truth about the rush in the morning. We are trying this year to do a lot better about not having to rush in the mornings. I realize that we are only four days into the new school year, but so far we are doing pretty good. This might not, however, be the situation in a month after we've been in the routine for a while.
• Goa, India
I am not married neither do i have children. I do get up early enough so that i reach on time to work. I always make sure to get up at least an before the leaving time from my house. I don't iron my clothes but keep all the other things ready for the next day before hand. Ironing of clothes is for the day itself.
My husband is the worker in our family and he doesn't have a set time that he has to be at work in the morning and because of that he simply rolls out of bed when he wakes up in the morning and then will get dressed and wake up for a few minutes before he goes to work.
hi dorannmwin I used to wonder about my son when he was a teen as in the summer he would sleep late, but he was good to go the moment my husband said, Robbie time to leave for school. He went to a p rivate school for gifted teens. Now I think back to my own working days, I had to be at the library at ten to nine am and got up at 7 ate, dressed and caught the bus down the street 12 blocks and still was the first one there, so had to turn off the alarms. I was always there by twenty to the hour and the rest wou ld straggle in after me. But I bathed at night, set out what i would wear, had my lunch made the afternoon before and thus was always on or ahead of time.
A lot of the things that you used to do ahead of time are things that I also like to do ahead of time. I really stink at waking up in the morning and my daughter is following in my footsteps to a certain extent.
My kids are all grown up, but two grand daughters are in second grade and fifth grade, they are living in a city in south india with parents, where my son works. Well my daughter in law makes them ready by 7am, packs their lunch box too, the school bus comes at 7.15am Glad to know about your daughter, blessings to her.. Thanks for sharing. Welcome always. Cheers. Professor
Wow, that is really early. Kathryn has to catch the bus at 7:40 in the morning when she rides the bus in the morning and if she isn't riding the bus on a particular morning, we have to make sure to walk out the door from our house by 8:10. School actually starts for her at 8:25.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I get up a half an hour earlier than getting the kids up. That way I can wake up a little myself and have a cup of coffee before I start getting them around. I cannot just jump into care giving for my son in a wheelchair when I just get out of bed. I need to be awake.
I can completely see why you would need to be up ahead of time. I imagine that if I had a child that had special needs I would need to get up a lot earlier than I do now.
Hello fellow 2nd grader mom! I'll have a DC in Kindy too! I don't usually pull out the clothes the night before. I usually set up outfits appropriate for school as I do the wash. Then I have them either stacked or on a hanger and those are the outfits she can pick from. I also have a check list on the front door of things they need to do and have before it's time to leave.
I really wanted to work hard on getting Kathryn to bed at a decent time before they started back to school, but it didn't work out at all because of the fact that she ended up spending the night with our neighbor because her friend just started high school and that means that their time together is going to be very limited from here on out.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
My kids are early risers and almost always up before me. On a normal school day they're already fed and dressed and waiting at the door to go to the bus before I emerge from my bedroom. Heck, on a normal school day my oldest will have left before I emerge from the bedroom! The bus stop is right out front of the house, I tell the kids to wait inside until it pulls up, and I can hear it from my room so I know when they've left... just because I'm in bed doesn't always mean I'm sleeping.. just wishing I was, lol. On the first day of school I will tear myself out of bed around the same time my oldest is supposed to wake up, just so I can be sure everyone is on the ball... though like a normal day he's usually already in the shower and already eaten his breakfast. We do not set our clothes out the previous night... we might pick them out, because I'll want them to wear the nicest outfit or something.. but we don't usually set it out. I did when I was younger though just because I was so excited!
When we first started with school two years ago, we weren't really big on sitting out clothes ahead of time. However, there were a lot of times that Kathryn refused to pick out clothes in the mornings and whatever I'd chosen for her was never good enough, so I started telling her that she always had to pick out her clothes for the following day ahead of time.