As an adult, do you still love reading childrens books?

I have 2 young kids - and we buy oodles and oodles of childrens books. My 5 year old has always been a bookworm and my 9 month old is already attracted to books. But I also happen to collect childrens books - so I don't mind giving in (to my selfish needs - hee hee) to buying them or reading them to my kids (or to myself)!! I love how illustrations and words work together. I enjoy a short and simply told story. Childrens books are wonderful little treasures I will cherish no matter how old I get. Do you love childrens books? Why do you enjoy them as an adult?
@tomitomi (5441)
I do read my children's books. And I've enjoyed as much. But it's not something I would be looking for in the library or one I would be seriously reading on.
Same goes for me, I love reading children's book for my daughter.
I could still read childrens books as long it is interesting to me
@tomitomi (5441)
I know the feeling. Like the cooker-monster you would just read anything you can lay your hands on, right? Great!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Hm, must go back and reread Oz books. :-) Don't know why I love them, I just do.
Oh yah! I must admit I haven't read them all, but I love love love the old printed books. I love the illustrations in them - and I am intrigued by the pumpkin head character (as it's not shown that way in the movie, which is the typical version of the story most of us know).
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Books of Wonder has reprinted them all with the original illustrations!
i loved reading my kiddy books back then when i was a kid but now i dont read those stuff anymore. i go for medical books those related to my course. but i still like watching cartoons cuz as a kid before i didnt really get to see much cartoons. my favs are tom n jerry show, phineas and ferb, powerpuff, spongebob etc..hahaha!!
Oh gosh, I don't think I can read medical books - hee hee!! I've always held on to childrens books - all my life I've read them no matter how old I was. So still I read them, and now I can read them to my kids. I loved watching cartoons as a kid, but these days they don't show them except on certain cable channels - which we don't get . . . so my kids may one day say the same thing as you (although they see tons of it on video - hee hee).
@jennyze (7045)
Oh yes, I do read children books. They are entertaining and make us not to loose any hopes.
Many childrens books are filled with hope . . . makes you feel good all over - I guess that's why I love them so much!
Yes I still love reading the children books. The story is short, simple no need to think hard, interesting drawing or colorful illustrations, tell the good morality messages etc... and help me much to give my kids a bedtime story.. :)
We read to my daughter before she goes to bed too! She's already loved books more than toys and it seems my baby son is going in that same direction. I love everything about childrens books - the writing, the pictures, the messages . . . it's also a comfort thing for me too.
@loveaan3 (35)
oh i love childrens books,l love stories.i like Alice in wonderland best.when i was a little gir,my moe always bought story books to my,for every night before i went to the bed,my mom would tell my one of the stories.by the way,i also love Harry Potter.
I loved Alice in Wonderland too (still do!). We read to my daughter every night before she goes to bed too (she seems to not be able to sleep unless she gets a story - ha ha). I'll bet my son will be the same! They are both too young for Harry Potter (my daughter thought Harry Potter was scary when she caught on tv a few months ago) - but I'll bet they'll love the series when they're older! I've only read the first one, but I loved it!
I always love reading children's books. Some people may think it stupid for an adult to read children's books, but I don't think so. Many children's books are not just written for kids, but also for adults who can learn a lot from those books. The most typical example is Alice in the Wonderland which draws a lot of adults' interest. It's even better for an adult to read childrens' books if he/she has kids, just as yourself. Parents and kids reading books together helps to promote the harmony of a family.
Oh yes, some people think also think it's easy to write for children - and it's actually not. They're not just simple words put together . . . it has to hold a child's interest and that's not always the easiest thing to do! And if it's written well, and adults can have a lot to gain from childrens books too. Oh, I love Alice in Wonderland . . . hee hee, but I will say as an adult I could read into it more than I did when I read it as a kid (the story IS almost for adults!). As a parent now, I truly agree reading together promotes family harmony.
I have always loved children's books and we bought quite a few before we first married. I worked with children in a preschool and I have worked in elementary schools. I continue to enjoy children's books and I am delighted to have grandchildren to share them with. I am working on a Christmas Children's rhyming story. I need to get the illustrations done.
I've collected childrens books for a long time, so my kids already had books well before they were born (although of course they were really MY books - hee hee). That's wonderful you can share your books with grandchildren - I hope to experience that someday!! For now I enjoy with my young kids. I aspire to write and illustrate childrens books too (I'm an artist, but haven't ventured into it yet) . . . that's great you're working on one!!
@jpso138 (7868)
My son is already 7 years old. I bought him some books to raise his interest in books way before. I read to him and now he reads from time to time. While I was reading, I remembered those fairy tales and stories that I was able to read when I was still a child. I did enjoy and its quite enjoying. The great thing is that my child now is also enjoying and we have a good bonding time together as we read the books.
I love that bonding through reading books together! My daughter has always loved books and my baby son is showing signs that he may be a super reader too. I love reading to them both - not only do I get a kick out of their reactions, but it takes me back to a special time too.
@jaiho2009 (39001)
Yes,very much. Actually when my kids were younger and every school opening,i am too excited with their new books esp with reading. I love reading books,not just adult but also children's book. I like the kiddie story,i don't know but until now i am still fascinated reading children's book. Even my kids,now that they are young adult,they still read children's book and reminisce their younger days when they were still babies doing same thing that they've read from those children's book.
Hee hee!! My daughter just started kindergarten and I'm interested in small books she brings home too (even though they are just thin "paper" books from workbooks). I'm in my 40's and I'm still reminiscing my youth by reading my collection of childrens books over and over again.
@jillhill (37383)
I have a small granddaughter and really enjoy reading to her.....one of her favorite books was one that her daddy had when he was growing up! But usually there is one that we have to read everytime she is here. Her mama tried to read it to her once and she told her mom to quite and let grandma do it....I do love reading her books at her house too....I guess they bring back memories of a time when I was younger...maybe that's why I still like them.
That's so neat that childrens books are timeless . . . many generations can enjoy them! That's great your granddaughter likes a book that her daddy did . . . my daughter and I share some favorites too. Your granddaughter must like the way you read - that's super sweet!
@Angelwriter (1956)
I love children's books. Haven't ever outgrown them and don't plan to. Although, I tend to mainly read books written for older kids. Middle school to young adult. But, I can enjoy a good picture book as well. As for why I enjoy them, I think it's because there's a sense of hope in most of them. Sure, there are some books with sad endings -again, in the ones for older kids- but most of them, even when things are difficult at the start, there's a sense that things can get better or you can survive. Also, there's the sense of possibilities and newness since the characters have futures ahead of them because they're just starting out, unlike adults. Plus, there's an indescribable quality that's hard to explain. But, I call books that have it "magic books". I don't mean they're about actual magic or tricks, just that they give you this wonderful satisfied feeling and you just know they're special. Most "magic books" I've read are all children's books.
I like that term you used - "magic books". I know what you mean. Many of them have a sort of fantasy-like quality to them - where anything IS possible - no what obstacles are in the story. Most of them are feel-good stories and topics. I guess that may be a big reason why I love childrens books . . . it takes me away from reality! I also like some "older kid" books, but mainly my collection is composed of young childrens books.
@devijay78 (1575)
Hi. I have a three year old and I buy books for her. I do enjoy reading all her books too, along with mine, because it takes me back to my childhood and the happy memories I had.
Isn't it wonderful to read books to little ones? And it's great when you can enjoy them together! I get tickled with my little ones get excited about a book I liked as a child (or even now) - it's very special. I used to get lost in books - an escape from reality - so yes, it brings back a lot of memories for me too! Enjoy reading with your daughter!!
@lkbooi (16101)
Hi much2say, during my son's childhood I read a lot of children books even when he was in his primary school and had great fun to read himself those interesting children educational or scientific stories and fantastic fairy tales as well as parables. As I know kids like sharing the interesting scenes they come across when reading. They never felt bored to ask questions which they had doubt with about the parts they had read untill they are satisfied with the answer given. This happened every now and then in their elementary primary school days especially. To helping them I always tried to finish the books a bit earlier than they did. to us it's quite simple and easy as well to finish reading those children books with big and conspicuous characters and vivid images Although the kids have grown up and could read and understand whatever books they have read I still have interest to read children books for there are children of my colleagues, friends and neighbors like listening to whatever I have acquired from the children books read. It's always a great pleasure to see their happy appearance and lovely expression while listening to the telling of stories. Happy posting
@tinym8 (403)
Hi Much2say, Yes, I really love children's books too. When my son was little we used to go to the children's section of the library at least 2 or 3 times a week. I still remember a lot of his books and some of my own when I was a child. I like them because they bring back memories of my son's childhood and even my own. They are so colorful and full of pictures....unlike adult books. Characters look right at you when they talk to you. You feel you are with them on their adventures.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I was talking to someone about a book that was read to me by a teacher - can't remember which one tho. anyway, when I went to the library last weekend I picked it up to re-read it. It still holds up, tho as an adult I could've wished for more depth to the story - but since it was being presented as non-fiction, I guess I just have to live with the facts... It is called "Paddle-To-The-Sea" and is a really cute little book - look for it.
I really do still enjoy children's books. I like the old favorites from when I was a child and I also like the new favorites that my children are helping me to discover. I like the fact that you can get through the whole story in a short period of time and I also really like the fact that there are so many good lessons in them. I understand that the majority of the lessons are meant for children, but I also feel like there are things that adults can learn from children's books as well.
I don't have kids yet, but most of the books on my to-buy list are young adult books. I read a Roald Dahl once in a while and I have a book of modern fairy tales that I have yet to finish. :)
Hello Much2say, I have always loved children's books ever since I was a kid and even now as I have grown old. I have tons of children's books that my kids had the pleasure of reading and since my elder daughter is now a young adult and working my younger daughter gets to read the books. We love to read these books over and over again and I believe the love for children's story books will remain in me for many more years to come. Have a nice day!
I really enjoyed reading books with my kids when they were little. Actually, we still discuss them often. But when I went to school I took a children's lit class and found I love young adult books. Actually my favorite are historical fiction. (among those is a book named "Brady") I enjoy most of the Newberry award books