Should I worry

@p1kef1sh (45640)
Here in the People's Republic of Britain, the Great bit broke off some time ago, we enjoy a wide reportage of what is going on in the World. Now let's get this straight at the outset - I like Americans, it's just that sometimes they can appear just a tad bonkers. I read an article at the weekend about small groups of so called militia who are forming up to defend themselves against... well.. against America! The Constitution gives them the right to form a militia so they've high tailed it into the wilds of mostly the Southern states there to await the onslaught by the forces of the democratically elected Government. They aren't politically partisan, they simply object to anyone that wants to tell them what to do. When for instance, someone turns up to demand payment of fines for something that they don't agree with, compulsory health care for example, then to quote "If he's an American officer we'll shoot him; if he's a civilian we'll hoist and hang him". The numbers of these militias have doubled since Obama was elected demonstrating a real paranoia. But what puzzles me is simple. If everyone is shooting everyone else isn't that anarchy resulting in the rule of the best armed rabble. With todays advanced weaponry I can only imagine the chaos. Billy the Kid had nothing on these people. Democracy anybody?
@andy77e (5165)
Just another Waco Texas group. Pay it no mind. Every group talks big, because that's the only way to get more recruits to their fruity run-through-the-forest-in-fatigues group. The chances of them causing anarchy, at least in the current situation is pretty low. They usually put their flag in the sand, at some point the government couldn't care less about. Generally even thought the group has grown in total number, most of the members are rather transient. Aside from some military drop outs that use the group to try and relive the supposed glory days of the past.... most are teenagers and 20-somethings, who think it's cool, and like to pretend they are standing up to the 'man'. Eventually shivering in pup tents, and eating dry surplus military rations over some burning twigs, gets really old, and they move on to actually get a life. These groups typically won't join together into anything close to a dangerous force, because militia is competing over the same limited number of fruity people that find joining appealing. At the same time, none believe in aggression with anyone that doesn't violate "their rights", which is typically the right to be left alone to run around in the woods in fatigues. So even in a state of complete anarchy, they likely wouldn't fight for control of anything more than the specific woods they operate in. So unless the Chicago Militia drives down to Texas, we're safe from an inter-militia war, even if the federal government disbanded. To me, they are nothing more than a rather sad pathetic side-show. Little boys who think they are something special because they got a deal on bad looking army reject clothing, and have a bunch of friends that are just as silly looking.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Thank you for a " how it is" perspective. I am sure that you are right. What is alarming to those of us that live elsewhere in the world is the apparent ease at which Americans are able to polarise themselves in an apparently quasi-militaristic fashion. Perhaps the fact that your country is so vast means that people inevitably become parochial in their outlook on political matters. Every society generates its share of cranks it is just the idea that they can be armed that is alarming!
@mythociate (15604)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Mostly what those laws are for is to put out a punishment for one getting CAUGHT with a weapon ("Nothin`s a crime `til ya get caught!")
@nannacroc (4049)
Democracy? I think I'm old enough to vaguely remember that. The American constitution gives me a headache.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Me too. So I stopped beating my head against it.
@nannacroc (4049)
Sometimes you have such good ideas.
Hi p1key, Its seems like the old wild west but worse, don't understand much about it at all, lol! hugs. Tamara
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Yee Haw Marie! LOL. XXXX
@DawGwath (1044)
If they were a threat to the government they wouldn't stand a chance. Probably would disappear in a couple of days. I think it's good for the people to keep the government under control but forming militia groups when it's unnecessary is really quite stupid in my opinion. But just because a few Americans are "bonkers", that doesn't make them all bonkers.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Absolutely. There is a determination to "resist" and it ought not to be underestimated. Of course not all Americans are bonkers any more than all Britons are... on second thoughts!
Well. let just wait and see :)
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Very true.
@urbandekay (18312)
My surprise is that you are surprised by this! all the best urban
@p1kef1sh (45640)
There's nowt queerer than folk as they say in these parts.
@BarBaraPrz (20126)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
SWAK
@p1kef1sh (45640)
mwah