The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I am just about to finish this book. I really enjoyed reading it though at sometimes it was hard to follow. I found quite a few times I'd be reading about the present of the narrator Paul, and it would slip back into the past, or vice versa. It's been an enjoyable read and one I will read again once I forget what the book is about! I found a look to an interview with Ivan Doig about this book and others he's written. You might find it interesting, and it may explain things better then I could about this book. http://www.harcourtbooks.com/WhistlingSeason/interview.asp (NOT A REFERRAL LINK) So has anyone else read this book?
I haven't read this book but in reading the article it sounds like something I might like to read. I will put it on my list and check it out on my favorite book buying site, Amazon. He sounds like an interesting character. I wonder if there are any bios in the works. Thanks for sharing this with me.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
I bought my copy at gohastings for four dollars or less I believe. I know amazon has books for 0.01 sometimes though, but thought I'd throw in where I bought my copy so you can compare prices. I hope you enjoy reading it!
I appreciate that! I usually get several at the same time on Amazon and save quite a bit. But I will check gohastings just in case.
@juneramir (335)
Through his wonderful prose, the writer was able to bring me back to a time and place where technology hadn't yet gotten its hold on society. A quiet, lovely time, when people spoke to each other engaging in real conversation. A time when courtesy and manners was expected and given without question. Rose and Morrie brought a beautiful spirit to the Milliron family, bringing out the best in everyone. The story engaged the reader and somehow made me long for the days of the one room schoolhouse and all that that entails. I highly recommend this book to everyone! Have a nice day to all :)
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Yes it really does make me imagine the time when technology wasn't rampant, and people got around on horseback or just by walking. A time when people did engage in real conversations and didn't know anything about text speak. A time when people were more simple, they did their days hard work, came home to eat, and off to bed for another early day!
@Memnon (2173)
This is not my usual material. I am much more likely to read factual books, or those associated with the Napoleonic wars, or fantasy. Thanks for introducing me to a different author, and giving me the opportunity. A favourite of mine is David Gemmell.