Does lack of money CAUSE depression?

I woke up on the floor, and pushed myself onto my side and answered the last rings of my cell phone. I think it was a Sunday, and as Sundays go; wasn't all that eventfull. But that was about to change: For two straight months, I had done all I knew how, to get a job. Anything. Craigslisted, like a madman. Put up flyers to be an elderly caregiver all over Mattoon and Charleston. Applied over in Tuscola, to not less than 25 stores; brought the applications home and filled them out over two days of at the kitchen counter while watching a marathon of Smallville. How was I to know that one of my responses to, "Driver needed", in the Craigslist Ads, would put me in touch with a couple of Amish Network marketers? Crazy, huh? Anyway, somehow we came to different opinions; they hired another driver who was more willing to be, "teachable", and all that jazz - who had a much better vehicle than my $500 Toyota Camry...which seemed to be on its last legs. - And I again, found myself wandering the small space of my mom's apartment, drenched in my own sweat - Illinoise heat is a killer; especially if your air conditioner is on the fritz! - whiling away the hours, watching my favorite T.V. series, "Smallville", and taking numerous baths to stave off the unbearable heat. Today, I got out of the apartment - finally. It had taken me three whole days to get up the courage to go outside. My mind was filled with two things: My cell phone bill, and my auto insurance. Both needed to be paid within just a week or so, and I still hadn't heard back from that training class that I had applied to. This training class was supposed to prepare me to make $18 dollars per hour as a road, construction worker. I had spent 45 dollars to get a hold of my MD birth certificate; studied for my IL driver's license - as that was a requirement to get into the class, and then used my birth certificate and my insurance bill as proof that I was who I said I was. I drove 22 miles out to Mattoon, keeping a watchful eye out for my gas, and passed the test. That was about a week ago. And just a couple of days ago, I was sitting in the bathtub with the shower on cold, streaming down on me, curled up, leaning against the wall, crying and feeling like I was defeated...like there was nowhere to go but down, and that I knew I didn't have the necessary courage to up and wash windows to make a little money. Feelings of rage, bent by frustration, and hopelessness, swelled within me. I was swollen with guilt over not being able or not being willing to help my mom, who has cancer; swollen with such a low sense of Self and a feeling of castration or disgust. Now, here I sit, typing away...not so down as I was a few days ago, but still flatlining. I ask the question, yet probably already know the answer: Does lack of money CAUSE depression? And I believe that the answer is no. I believe that depression is caused not by lack of funds, but by a jaded outlook, and distorted thinking, which leads to feelings of powerlessness. I scored very low on a test for optimism, that I took out of a book by Segliman?, "Learned Optimism". Yet, here I am, bouncing back. I may not have worked up the courage to go do those windows - my side business - but I am still moving around, going places, and trying my level best to put doubts and fears of the coming future, if not to rest, at least aside for a bit.
@lacieice (2065)
Very well written...it held my attention. I think lack of funds is a contributing factor to depression. Worry and stress drain energy which give depression a foothold. I suggest you continue to fight back, doing whatever it takes to hold on. Go wash those windows. You never know where one action may lead.
Thanks, Lacieice...how do you pronounce your name? I'll take your praise as high, indeed, since I see, here, that you're ranked a nine stars! I take those people pretty seriously. *smile*
@lacieice (2065)
It is Lacy Ice. Just a user name, and thank you.
@calai618 (1781)
I believe at some point it does. This is because it contributes to other factors like sadness, inability to do things or to acquire stuff, etc. Having all negative things occuring into your life, it isn't impossible to have depression.
what is depression, calai618? I mean, I know what people SAY it is, but what is it, really? I'm thinking back to when I walked in the door of this Gypsy woman. Young, vivaciousness, with eyes that haunted you....made you need to take another look. Maybe she caught me staring. Was that a beginning of a smile I saw? She began reading my tarot...turning over, first one card, and then another, peering intently at each one. What she said next, sounded a bit ridiculous. She said there were evil forces at work in my life and that they had been holding me back. How amusing that I should be accosted only moments after leaving her little shack, once I had crossed the road, by a man wanting to take my money! But this little omen stayed with me for a long time, afterward. I couldn't help but wonder, "Is what she said - is there any truth to it?" I had long known about the bible and it's conviction that any form of sickness - mental or bodily - came as a result of some sin that we had previously committed. Had I somehow sinned and attracted these "devils"? Think of lust, greed, vanity, sloth, gluttony and the others. Are these actually "Demons"? Are they spirits? Could depression be a spiritual malady?
@rosebinas (181)
You have the potential of becoming a very good writer. Your piece spellbound me- really. Why don't you try writing a story and show it to publishers? You'll never know what could be waiting for you just around the corner. You don't need to wait for big opportunities to come by to make both ends meet. There are so many people out there who are in an even worse situation. Hola! You have bills to settle.... Go and momentarily wash windows until you get some good responses to all your earlier actions. Good luck my friend!
Rosebinas, do you know how long a person waits to hear such words? I've been away from mylot for several years. I started writing on ML when I was still living with my dad and his girlfriend. Back then, I was even more afraid to take action. How, then, was I able to drop everything and head out by myself to the shores of CA, with no contacts, no job waiting, and only three heavy suitcases to drag around the city? A very good question and not one easily answered. I wish with all my heart that I could write a story. I've lain up late at night and tried to come up with something which my inner critic wouldn't immediatlely shoot down. It was hard. I've never done a full-blown story. Journals, yes. Poetry, yes. And beginnings of stories, yes. But never completed one. I believe in the Law of Attraction, and sitting here, having opened up ML on a whim and seeing all these responses to my discussion, floored me. It also showed me that the LAW works. Somehow, I have to get out of my own way and let the urge to create take over. How do I do that? How do I stand aside and dunk my critic in cold waters whenever it shows its ugly face? Why is it so hard to believe that I COULD be good? Why is it so hard for most of us to recognize our own gifts and talents, and then seize the day by taking inspired action? So many questions that I don't have the answers to. All I can say is that I sit here, nearly every day, after taking such a long hiatus from writing, and type away like a madman. When I don't feel inspired, I type anyway. Something weird. Something dumb. something that may never see the light of day. But still I type, because I know that within me is a story...I just have to chip away at the doubts and fears and the gunk and the rust which it sits in. Kind of how Michaelangelo said that he just had to find David, within that hunk of marble. David was already in there, just waiting to be found! Thank you so much for your encouragement. It means the world to me, Rosebinas! *smile*
@velentina (893)
• Mauritius
Yes I think lack of money do cause depression. When we do not have enough funds and we are unable to pay our debts it does cause depression....we are human and when we are desperate we get depressed.But any problem is not permanent it is temporary even money problem may be solved in due time.
You know, velentina, you bring up a good point: The idea of permanance: In fact, in the book I was recently reading, "Learned Optimism", the Author has a test to rate how opitmistic you currently are, and one of the tests involves the idea of whether a person leans towards "this will be the case forever", or "this is only a temporary setback; I'll bounce back in no time!" Good point!
@dodo19 (16971)
• Montreal, Quebec
I'm sorry about all of this. I do think that lack of money can cause stress and depression in some people. However, I don't think that it's necessarily the case for everyone in this sort of situation. I think that it does also depend on the individual and the situation that they are in, and such.
Could you comment more on that, dodo19? What type of individual? And what situations? I'm not arguing or anything; just like to hear people's perspectives? Since I was a kid, I was intensely interested in people's stories, opinions, desires...that kind of a thing. That's why I ask.
Of course lack of money does not lead to depression definitely, but I think to some extent, low funds can cause depression. Some of my friends, they worried about hopeless future just because they don't have enough resources or money to support their confidence, then they become depressed most of the time, and sometimes they bounce back at salary payment date. However on the other hand, many people are also depressed although they are not lack of money, they don't know what's the meaning of life other than making money. Additional, I believe you have a good mentality that I appreciate very much!
Thanks, Harrylee. Good mentality can be hard to come by. I developed mine over the years by reading inspirational books and some biographies. Although, I have to say that I've been slacking in the latter department, lately. I was thinking about writing a thread about how you can make something using current resources. I have this idea that it is not the money that you want or that does you any good, simply because it is only a mass-common-agreement held by this particular culture for the time being. And that agreement can be canceled at any time. But, the laws of commerce and economy that led to that agreement will never die.
Depression can be caused by many things, from stress to a chemical imbalance in the brain. When events start to pile up and stress becomes a factor, even the smallest thing, like going to the mailbox, can send a person spiraling down into depression. Things called "Trigger Events" can cause depression as well. A trigger event is something that happens or is seen, felt, or heard. It is an event which effects the person on a subconscious level, reminding them of an earlier event in their life which was connected with great sadness, stress, or other strong emotions. In today's society, emotional crises are very common, and especially depression. I would say having lack of money doesn't cause depression, but it can be a Trigger Event for many people.
Wow, catriana13, you seem to know a lot about this! Where did you learn so much? I used to be homeless in Boulder, CO. I helped start up a grass-roots foundation for the homeless called, HOME. I forget what it stands for, because it went through so many revisions. Anyway, there was a woman at the day shelter - Joy Eckstine, who helped me see that I might have some mental, emotional garbage, held from when I was way younger. She talked about Bi-polar disorder - a slight version of it; and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This woman helped so many people on a day to day basis, and still does. I'm surprised that she has any time for herself. And I see her posting on Facebook all the time. How's that possible?! Well, I believe the more that you can learn about something; the more you realize how many different options there are for treatment.
@chayapathys (2114)
I feel that money is never a cause for depression. Many poor people are happier than the rich.I think it is only the rich who get depression and main cause comparison with others who are richer or better placed in life.Avoid comparison you re happy. Contentment can really cure depression.The contended man is thousand times happier than others.All religions preach contentment but few follow.
@reckon21 (3488)
As I read your post...it seems you have the talent of writing. You could be a great author one day if you just try. I did feel your pain because the words you used to describe your pain is so potent that I almost can touch your skin. You write powerful words and the emotion is evident in every lines. However in spite of the feeling of utter helplessness I can sense some strong courage to survive in the way you write. You strive to get ahead and stay afloat...you have strong desire and that is all that matters. The lack of money is surely not a reason to get depressed but it will if you have mountains of bills to pay.
@chinoxads (255)
I think that when someone doesn't have enough money to pay the bills and those things that is necesary, you can be depressed because you don't know where to find that money, as you say, you try everything to earn some money, and nothing happens. Almost all the thing for not to say all, involves money to buy, services, education, entertainment, places to go, kids, food, health, and is very stressful thinking all those things.
@sjlskl (3385)
Everything in this world need money. Food, shelter, electricity, water etc etc. Without money will means deprive all things, essentials or not. So, yes, without money will and can cause depression.
@Angelgirl16 (2178)
Hi, Having enough money to take care of your everyday needs and desire gives a person a sense of peace. Having no money to take care of your responsibilities, will definitely cause a person to feel worthless and falling into a depressive state of mind. More and more citizens are going through depression because they cannot find decent work. Even though they are trying to find work, there just doesn't seem to be many companies hiring new employees right now. The key is not to give up and something will turn up in the job market for you. You can be proud that you are not just sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, you are out there looking and wanting to work and help your mother. You must be optimistic, this too shall pass. You will get a job.
@monkeylong (3147)
Yeah, as far as I am concerned, I think sometimes the money does influence us a lot in our daily life. So we may not be short of money in my life. If sometimes we are short of money, we will feel not so confident to go outside to play with our friends.We nay just want to stay at home that may needs little money to spend. have a nice day!
@krkavsy (192)
Yes lack of money causes depression. In todays world money plays a very important role. Even to get things done from people, we need money. We need money to lead a comfortable life. When you are without a job or dont have a job you deserve, it causes depression.
Yes, it actually does. It causes insecurity and it causes a person to feel powerless. Not having a enough money can cause people to feel bad, feel guilty, wish that they have saved more. Lack of money can be depressing.
@urbandekay (18315)
No, though it may be a reason for it all the best urban
For some it really what causes their depression...it begin with they cold not afford to buy their wants
@deve_annrn (1857)
hmmm.., you are right it's not the lack of finances that can really precipitate feelings of depression but it's all in our head.., our mindset and perceptions are the ones that lead us to it.., if we think negatively.., then our outlook will also be negative thus making us feel so low and hopeless.., but if we think otherwise.., look on the brighter side of things.., you can actually see the difference.., and it can also help us focus on solutions rather than the problem itself..=)