What do you do with leftovers?

@Suggar (3612)
Bulgaria
My boyfriend is always laughing at me, because i don't like to put on the garbage our leftovers The old people in Bulgaria don't like to put food in the garbage. They say - if it's food you have to eat it. And they serve it to the end of the dish. This is my understanding for the leftovers too. We are not so rich, to throw food out, and every time i eat the last mouthfuls of everything. This is when he say "you are the same as my mom and my grand mother" My family was very poor years ago. At the same time his family had money to buy a lot of things. They had restaurants and he was able to eat everything he wanted to eat. I remember when i was little girl, i was always sick. And my mom was buying me vegetables, because if i was sick i felt so bad that i didn't want to eat at all. She was trying to tease me to eat something good, what will make me feel better. At the other time, when i wasn't sick, she was doing miracles. There was one period, when she was making home bread, because we had flour, but nothing more. This is kind of habit from my childhood, if i got one portion i'll eat it, even if i'm not hungry, just don't want to throw it out. So what are you doing with the leftovers? I'm asking about the portions, which nobody wants to eat.
@anne25penn (3310)
I have no problems with leftover portions because we have been taught as children to get only what you can eat and eat everything on your plate. Growing up as a child, we were also very poor and I remember a time where we really had nothing to eat. That's why I hate seeing food go to waste. Now that I am working and can buy food that I want, I also practice what I have been taught as a child. Only get what you can eat, and finish it up. Its hard to impose leftovers on someone. If I am holding a party at my house and leftovers cannot be avoided, my cats will have a feast. Then the food that is not consumed I ask relatives to bring home. This way nothing really goes to waste.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
That's good lesson - to be poor and then to have more of what you need. Now i don't have more, but i have enough, and also the help of our parents so this is really very important for me. Being poor is learning you to survive, and having more is making you feel really blessed. Thanks for that experience you shared here. I feel you really close to my mind.
@ruzzel016 (241)
If we have left overs my grand mother put it the refrigerator, and in the next meal she will made it another lovely food coming from our leftovers so that no food will waste..
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
May be i have to write another discussion about ... is everything i put in the freezer good for eating, after that. I know about some things like meat, or some vegetables dish, but i don't about many other things, like something done with more eggs, or cheese, or as example white beans. Today i had to throw out one plate of white beans, because in the refrigerator for 2 days, it wasn't good for eating. I love white beans really much, but we didn't have vinegar last days and today when i bought, the dish was screwed So is it possible to put white beans made in gruel in the fridge?
@Graceekwenx (3163)
oh i eat the leftovers. You wont see small plates of food in our ref! hahah! i honestly feel it as a waste. And by the way, this can be a good opportunity for you to practice charity and give the leftovers to your needy brothers.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Here people are that kind, that they don't show their needs, may be they feel shame of that. Only people who beg on the street for little coins, take food, but they usually prefer coins, because a lots of them make business that way. If i have something like chicken bones or like that i give ti to cats or dogs out.
There are so many ways to be creative with leftovers, and sometimes the leftovers added into something else tastes even better. So yes agree with everyone freezing is a great way to save for a later date also.
@JOIEMARVIC (2342)
My parents have raised us with respect for food and for the money spent for this items.As much as possible I try to measure the food I cook to avoid having left overs. But when we do have leftovers, I save them and try to make something creative out of it for the next meal. But sometimes I do get really lazy and re-heat this leftovers instead of making something better out of it. Nonetheless, I avoid wasting leftovers. I consider food as a blessing so I try not to waste it.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
To know what is respect is really important in the life. We need to learn to respect everything we eat, we use, we buy, we meet and with talk with. That would be really good for us. Childhood is really important for the way we feel in whole our life.
Even though I'm not rich, I usually throw away the leftovers. Because if I keep it, it's going to smell in any moments, and I'll throw it anyway. But if I eat it, I'm already full. I don't really like to eat food, but it's a different story with snacks, coz I love'em.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
It smells when you keep the food out of the fridge.
@ladysakurax (1163)
I grew up the same way. When my mom came to Canada, she had nothing because of the war. Her first step here was barefoot and she was given 5$ to start her life. It was difficult and when we had leftovers, we wold eat it the next day. I even remember when school distributed lunch for us. She said to not throw it away and to bring it home...food costs alot of monney. My boyfriend also had an easy life and we throw everything that was extra until his parents had to move wihout him. Sometimes you need to go through difficult situations to understand the true value of something. Now back to subject, i would bring that extra portions at school for lunch. Leftover bbq is my favourite. When there is extra fish, I would make a seafood sauce for spaghetti. Other type of meet is easy thrown into soups. the same goes to vegetables. We eat alot of hotpot. It's like you have a boiling broth and you cook your food in there. the extra broth left is soo healthy and i never throw it away. i would add rice in there. Fruits is the more difficult part. We always have leftovers apples, bananas, oranges, etc. With apple, i make applecrumble...cheap and easy. the rest of the fruits could be made into fruitsalad or added in yogurt with leftover cereal.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Good for you that you know how to use leftovers. I started to cook really little portions, so we can finish with every dish with one or two times eating of it. That's easier. Soon we had only white beans and i cooked one package 3 times, one after other. That package finished and for our happiness, we got money now to buy other things. But i cook it sensibly. That way nothing goes out of our stomachs
@ladym33 (11008)
I usually send the left overs that we have with my husband for lunch the next day. So he eats up most of the left overs that way. That is unless he does not like what is left over but that does not happen very often. If it something that I really, really love then I will usually eat it for lunch myself one day. If there are a lot of left overs we will have left over night and I will put everything that is left over out on the table and everyone takes what they want and heats it up in the microwave, that is a good way to get ride of most of them. I sometimes end up throwing things out if no one will eat them, but I don't like to do that and it does not happen often.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
I always eat what we have eaten earlier. My boyfriend like different kind of food, than me ... Sometimes i really wonder what to do with some of the leftovers, because i got too much of something and have to eat it alone ...
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
Poor or not one should never waste or throw away food into garbage. I normally pack everything into the fridge and use it the next day.There is no question of throwing anything...I sometimes make something new with left overs, esp rice which can be made into so many things...If I really am left with a lot of food and if I am going away for a few days then I give it to my maid , so that she can eat it with her family...All the best, have a great weekend
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Thanks for your wish for the good weekend, it's fine so far. Not so relaxing and interesting, but fine is good word too It's good that you have someone to give left food to. Here people take it like humiliating, if you give them part of your dish. You can do it, only if you invite them for lunch or dinner. It's not shamefully if you are poor ...
Everyone should do that. "Serve it to the end of the dish," I like that. When my mother cooks I always take some of the leftovers so I can take to work the next day and there are times when there is a good amount of food left so my mom just serves the same thing the next day and cooks something else with it. I don't think anyone is in the position to be wasting food right now. I'm not rich and I don't think I'll ever be but If I was rich I don't think that's going to change about me. There are a lot of people out there who don't even have food to eat and to throw away food like that just disgusts me to tell you the truth. So I always make sure to take leftovers to work the next day and it saves me money as well, which is another advantage of using the leftovers.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
I think that the world really need rich people, who has been good, positive and bounteous before they become rich. But anyways .. usually people forget where were they in the past, just enjoy their life now, if it's getting better and are willing to buy for themselves everything if they could do it. So in future, if they got that chance, they won't think about the good poor people, who are working honestly for coins. Sometimes i just hate that world.
It really depends on the leftover. If it is something my mom cooked, we would keep it in the refrigerator, reheat it next day and eat it. If the food is bought, either, my mom would eat it or the "helper"(she's not actually our helper, she's just always around, helping around. Her husband is the carpenter that currently works on our house.) Or this "helper" would bring it at home to feed her dog. Her dog eats home food not dog food. So nothing was really left.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
I love my mom's dishes, she is doing wonderful things with the leftovers, but she cook since 20 and more years so she got really good experience in that.
I tried my best not to have leftovers because I think of the people who work hard just to have a descent meal everyday. Some people only eat once or twice a day. I'm blessed that I can have a complete meal even deserts and snack everyday. Even God never wastes. When He feeds the 5 thousand people he said to disciple to gather all the leftovers.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
I like that comparison with God's thoughts. Thank you.
@Rainegurl (2158)
We do not throw away leftovers As long as it is still good, we reheat it and eat it. So it is possible that some dish would be there during breakfast, lunch and dinner We try not to be wasteful. Have a nice day!
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
That's good. I do the same. Never mind what time is it. Our first eating is in the afternoon, so for lunch everything is possible for eating. Just the breakfast is little hard, but sometimes we eat the same, what we had last night.
Your mindset is correct. Actually we should not be wasting food. Even if there are leftovers, we should keep it and eat it the next day. My family is like that. Nowadays, a lot of people throw leftover food away, which I don't really bear to see. That's why, when I wanted to throw away leftover food, I'll be a bit guilty and would also think about those who don't even have food to eat and water to drink. When that thought comes to my mind, the leftover food will also go into my stomach. LOL! To people out there who are wasting food, please think twice. Think of the people in Pakistan and africa.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
It's the same way with me, i always think about people, who doesn't have food to eat. Also for animals, who live out of our building, because i love dogs and cats.
Hi! :) I have a small family so we always have leftovers after every meal. I always transfer it to a clean sealed container and place it in the refrigerator or freezer. I usually reheat the leftovers the next day or try to recycle it into another dish. Leftover pork and vegetables can be sliced into small pieces for omelets, and leftover chicken and fish can be added to soups. Hope this ideas can help you, thanks and have a nice day! :)
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Thanks for the good ideas. I'll try to do it, with the soup or eggs with meat, i've never tried it before. And i'm sure it will taste good. But i'm never sure which of all can stay in the freezer and usually i eat everything at the end.
@peavey (16473)
I don't waste food. I use leftovers in other dishes or eat them just like they are. I freeze them sometimes, and I freeze vegetables and meat if there's just a little left over and then combine them all for soup, which always turns out good. We never wasted food when I was young, although there were times when we could afford to.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
Here we say it's kind of sin if you throw out food. Thanks for sharing your experience. I understood that all smart women act that way and i'm really happy that i don't get the things wrong
@cher913 (25893)
we dont waste food around here. if there are left overs, i will send them for lunch with my hubby, if not, i will put them in the freezer and mix with something else.
@Suggar (3612)
• Bulgaria
It's the same with me, next day i cook something else with what i have from the past day.
@sender621 (14956)
I feel like i am always saving leftovers. i don't like to waste anything and throw it away. We usually have a leftover night at my house for meal times. I do my best to get my leftovers used in a sensible way. There are times when my leftovers don't get eaten, but that is not the case too often.
@elims15 (67)
i dont put it in the garbage can. il just give it to our pig. It save me a lot for their feeds.
we simply put the left overs in the ref.. then we just reheat it..