Do you only REPORT violations from new Mylotters? Thats real easy to

do since you dont really know the person and you consider it your duty to help out. But what happens when a Veteran mylotter violates the rules? Do you report them? Do you feel bad about it? Aren't you glad reporting is anonymous?
@owlwings (38091)
• Cambridge, England
Yes, I'm glad reporting is anonymous but not really because I want to slink around in the safety of anonymity. I have never made any bones about reporting anyone, even seasoned MyLotters, because I don't see reporting as sneaky, 'grassing' or vindictive. We are all subject to the 'rules' here and they exist, by and large, for our benefit. It is mainly due to the Guidelines, in fact, that MyLot is the great and generally friendly place that it is: I have seen some really ghastly forums where cliquishness and flaming are the order of the day! There's no reason whatsoever why you or I (or any other veteran) should be given the 'kid glove' treatment any more than a rank newcomer should be 'overlooked' because they haven't bothered to understand the Guidelines. I don't think I've had anything deleted in quite a while - mostly because I post very few discussions - but we are all liable to make a slip from time to time (and I am no exception).
I understand completely, well said. I used to start way more discussions in the beginning. But after coming close to breaking the rules AND getting posts deleted, I now reply more. I dont consider reporting sneaky either since it does benefit us all. I do however think twice and consider the motive when its a veteran poster. Sometimes its not what you say but HOW you say it.
@Aaleexix (2291)
Violation is violation. There is no deference .... If I find violation in any discussion I instantly report those. How old in mylot is not a matter for reporting any discussion. I just put my interest on the witting. I am not glad in reporting any of discussion. But I feel that reporting of any violation is our duty. I am not reporting for pleasure but I do that thinking that as a duty.
And you are good at doing your duty! See same comment above. I am glad you dont get any pleasure from reporting. That IS good to know and thanks for your comment.
@Aaleexix (2291)
It is really sad that discussion by someone will be deleted for my reporting. It is not a matter of pleasure. But as I feel that rules are violated so for the grater interest of the site I report those. For the batter environment we need to take hard step. It is very unpleasant feeling when we report any discussion. I am not reporting in the feeling of enmity. Some of our friends may loose their discussion because of our reporting, though it look little rude but I feel this as a important duty.
I was complimenting you because I can tell from your writing that you are sincere. We need people like you here on mylot. You even take the time to consider others losing their pay. Keep up the great work.
I personally have not reported violations, instead I have depending on how I motivational level will assist on the discussion is asking for then throw in that the discussion will be deleted as it is a violation. I will even type in the exact guideline rule so that they can understand, this I have found to be positive feedback. What I loath with a passion are the discussions, which you referred to as "veterans", that happily and intentionally spend a great deal of time scouring and looking for discussions to report. I mean, REALLY, do they not have other things to do. Maybe I am too sensitive or maybe call me nuts but REALLY??
I used to try and help the violater with a few words of wisdom only to have the discussion deleted. Now since I dont visit mylot that much, have to use my time more wisely so I dont reply to those posts. On the "scouring" issue, I wonder if you get paid for reporting quotas.
@owlwings (38091)
• Cambridge, England
No, nobody is paid for reporting (or compensated in any other way) except very indirectly by the process of division of the revenue amongst the discussions that remain. I believe that that has always been made quite clear by Crash and GoAskAlice.
Apparently if this is true than my theory that they have way too much time on their hands is true. I mean seriously how many of us log in with the intentionally of spending all morning, just to report. I read so many discussions like this at least weekly. It perhaps is a thrill of some sort, I totally ignore and evade myself as I get no thrill out of intentionally looking for violations nor do I get a thrill on carrying full discussions about it. I would think if they cared that much they go ahead and report and then not gloat. Ugh.
@voldrox (7205)
No, i don't do the reporting stuffs, i just ignore them, lol. If the newbies do it then there is nothing much to say, but if the more experienced one does it, it should be a shame on their part.
Perhaps your way may be best. If absolutely no one replies to their useless posts, the violaters will eventually get tired and leave mylot.
@sagar21 (1583)
ignore... yep..I do that most often...but sometimes I just warn them...even after knowing that my response will be deleted with the discussion thanks.....
@voldrox (7205)
When i come across such discussions i give a one line response that their discussion is viable to get deleted.
@Catana (736)
I don't pay much attention to a person's newbie or veteran status. A violation is a violation. And Mylot veterans should know the rules. I don't report too many violations because I don't spend a lot of time here each day, and would rather be finding interesting conversations to read. But I do a few reports most days because I know it helps the site. And maybe it helps newbies pay attention to the guidelines when they find their first conversations being deleted.
Wow, a firm believer. No swaying on your part. Good for you. I dont spend much time here either and have to make good use of that time. Heres to finding good discussions!
@calai618 (1781)
Thinking about it, I dont really remember any instance when I reported a user. I havent really seen any grave abuse. there are actually those users whom I dont agree with but I dont find that a reason to report them. This is a discussion community and people shouldnt be reporting people just because those people dont believe what they believe in. That's what I like here in mylot, there are a lot of views and a lot of types of people which let us learn. I just hope people dont abuse all the freedom we have. So far, I find mylot to be very healthy.
You sound like a very open minded person. What a refreshing point of view, although I think you missed my question a little. IF you had to report a violater, would you report a veteran and not just a newbie? From all the posts above, it seems everyone feels its their duty to report violaters.
@Aaleexix (2291)
In this context i ant to say that disagreement is not a violation. I may not be agree with any person in any matter. Abuse matter and violation is completely different thing. I don't like someone's comment doesn't meant that he is wrong. Everyone has their own individual opinion in any matter. it is not possible to be agree with everybody in every situation. We have different views. So we are in discussion. Mylot has really a good healthy environment. In fact some violation may occurs occasionally. And every one need to play the role of watchdog against violation to keep mylot healthy.
well, newbies usually gets bump along the way. i know i did when i was a newbie, too bad the former upline never bothered to help me. as for me, i didn't care if it was a newbie or oldie. as long as the person violate the rules, i wouldn't hesitate, just like the people who reported me.
Hello Sergeant TROM! Actually, I do report my own post. recently, I've been having these double post problems in another discussions, and that frustrates me. not just discussions but also in some topics that i created. if the browser loads too slowly and i kept refreshing them i end up having two the three same post in one discussion. i do violate rules too, but the admin seems to have been eye on me. so, i would know if it's wrong since they will delete it.
I had that very same problem and a brand new mouse fixed it for good.
@LittleMel (14059)
well mylot keeps anonymity just because otherwise people will be more of defending themselves than actually discussing things LOL after all, reporting doesn't guarantee a post is deleted it's just bringing it to mylot's attention and admin does what they think best I reported responses on my posts that just don't seem right such as Hi, hello, LOL while the thread is asking advice or feedback also if it is out of context such as "you are a fool" or swearing at me I got such answers in discussions about animals, giving things to pets whether people think I'm a fool or not is not my concern LOL if it's such a stupid discussion then only stupid people responding to it...
Wow thats never happened to me before. I do however get spammers pushing their site when discussing another site. Why do people waste their time on those types of stupid posts? No, youre not a fool! Thanks for comment.
I don't really feel obligated to report discussions because if I see one that will probably be deleted, it ends up getting deleted.
@sagar21 (1583)
Do I need to?? I don't do.. I find it difficult to distinguish, spammers and newbies.... some start here with good attitude but fail to stand to rules... thanks for the topic... have a great day/night....
I guess it depends on what kind of environment you want on mylot whether you should report or not. There USED to be a whole lot of spamming in the mem forum and I hated looking thru all that garbage just to find a good post to reply. Most newbies are spammers. Just kidding. You have a good day too.
hi sergeamtrom I will report rule breakers no matter if they have 20 points or 2999 points, the thing is we are all supposed to read the guideline, the TOS, the questions and answers, new comer or older comer I do not feel bad as mylot admins asks us to help them when they have overlooked a rule breaker. Of course it is anonymous to protect all concerned and to not have a war on their hands every day. I do not go around hunting them down but when the person has broken a rule or has really flamed and insulted my friends here yes I will report them, and if I had broken a rule I would wish to be reported so I could see where I went wrong. What the heck does knowing or not knowing got to do with people who refuse to read and learn the information and so flout all the rules? friend or not , a rule is a rule. I feel bad w hen its apparent some are too ignorant or lazy to follow the rules as they will be the ones c rying mylot is a scam they dont pay me for my work w hen their wo rk was all deleted because they did not even know the rules.
I somewhat agree with you except we never know when and how we break the rules if our post gets deleted or no one tells us. As you can see by all the different views above, its not always about knowing the rules as we all interpret them differently. How can one learn if no one tells you? I have yet to hear anyone screaming mylot is a scam.
@de_toya (2434)
I report violation rarely. I just avoid respond to discussions that seem to be violated guidelines. I think mylot admin will deleted all discussions that violated the guidelines. Actually, I want to help mylot admin by reporting violated guidelines discussion to them but pity, I have no much time and my internet connection is really really bad. Even, I could reach my target this month . I can't make more than 20 post a day. I hope my internet connection will be better soon.
Actually I've never reported anyone on Mylot before. When I see something that violates the rules I just assume the Mylot staff will catch it, they always seem to. I don't think they need my help.