Dr. Laura and Sister Sarah - An ODD Couple Indeed!

@anniepa (27162)
As most here know, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, better known as simply "Dr. Laura", made the headlines recently for repeating the "N-word" eleven times on her radio show while on a call with a young African-American woman who complained her white husband and his friends and family sometimes treated her in an offensive way due to her race, sometimes even using that word. She also told the caller she was "hypersensitive" and had no sense of humor and that perhaps she shouldn't have married outside her race. A few days later, Dr. Laura announced on CNN's Larry King Live show that she was giving up her radio show at the end of the year, saying her freedom of speech had been violated. Enter "Sister Sarah" Palin who immediately sprang to Dr. Laura's defense, tweeting the following: "Dr.Laura:don't retreat...reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence 'isn't American,not fair')" Then she added, "Dr.Laura=even more powerful & effective w/out the shackles, so watch out Constitutional obstructionists. And b thankful 4 her voice,America!" Notice her usual combative choice of words..."don't retreat...reload" and how, according to some, she added fuel to the fire of those sensitive to racism by mentioning "shackles" as though Dr. Laura were somehow shackled like slaves once were! I know, some of you who adore Sister Sarah are going to jump on me for saying that but which is it - is she totally ignorant and stupid or is she totally insensitive? She clearly knows nothing about the Constitution because Dr. Laura's right were in no way infringed upon. She had every right to say something totally stupid and ignorant and others had every right to call her out on it. By the same token, according to the free market the right loves so much, consumers had the right to boycott or threaten to boycott sponsors of Dr. Laura's show and the sponsors had the right to pull out. It may not seem to be unusual for one far right woman to come to the defense of another; that is, unless one was aware of what Dr. Laura had to say about Sarah Palin two years ago right after she was chosen by John McCain to be his running mate. The following is from her blog from September 2, 2008: I am extremely disappointed in the choice of Sarah Palin as the Vice Presidential candidate of the Republican Party. I will still vote for Senator McCain, because I am very concerned about having a fundamental leftist, especially one who is a marvelous orator, as President… I'm stunned - couldn’t the Republican Party find one competent female with adult children to run for Vice President with McCain? I realize his advisors probably didn’t want a “mature” woman, as the Democrats keep harping on his age. But really, what kind of role model is a woman whose fifth child was recently born with a serious issue, Down Syndrome, and then goes back to the job of Governor within days of the birth? I am haunted by the family pictures of the Palins during political photo-ops, showing the eldest daughter, now pregnant with her own child, cuddling the family’s newborn. : http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/joan_walsh/politics/2010/08/18/sarah_palin_defends_dr_laura Hmmm...do you suppose Sister Sarah didn't know what Dr.Laura had to say about her two years ago? Has she forgotten? Or is she truly THAT forgiving of a sister "Mama Grizzly"? Annie
@artistry (4154)
...Hi annie, My thought is that no one should be surprised at Sarahlee running over to put her nose into yet another pile of you know what. If you listened to Sarahlee's father when he talked about her college years, it was a bit apparent that Sarahlee had a few issues with people of color who as I remember she referred to as "those who didn't look like me" or something on that order. She called Obama everything except a child of God on the campaign, from a terrorist to gosh knows what else. So her siding with Dr. Laura is not out of character for her as far as I am concerned. Forgiving, I think she wants people to think that she is being forgiving, but the PR that come from such an act fulfills her ambition. She may not be smart but she is very shrewd, just like with the marking of that stupid hat. She knows the simple minded press will come running with flash bulbs popping. Take care.
@Taskr36 (13926)
Facts really aren't your friend are they? Seriously, couldn't you comment on the discussion without making up lies to attack her? She never called Obama a terrorist and your little quote saying "those who didn't look like me" was completely bogus. Seriously, try to research things once in a while. You'll look less ignorant that way.
@Taskr36 (13926)
If you do want to learn a little about the type of racism she faced in Hawaii, just do a search for "Kill Haole Day". Haole is a racial slur for white people there. My wife grew up in Hawaii and the racism towards white people there is pretty extreme. Can you imagine the outcry if there was a "kill N####r Day" or a "Kill Mexicans Day"?
@artistry (4154)
...Task I get really sick of your barbed remarks calling me a lair in so many words. I heard the woman with my own ears calling the man someone who associates with terrorists and we don't need terrorists running the country. Please! You can take your criticism of what I say and you very well know what you can do with itkl. Please don't ever write anything to me about what I say as I will write you back with one word. You can guess what it will be. "o) You are a one side only person so I would not expect any better. I can't help it if you can't take anyone talking about your lovely idiot friend Saralee of which Dr. Laura was correct in her assessment of why she couldn't believe they could find a smarter person to be on the ticket as Vice-President. Did you write Dr. Laura to complain? There are some people who realize Sarahlee is a stupid person even if you are blind. If you want to find an ignorant person try looking in the mirror for a really long time. Cheers.
@Taskr36 (13926)
Have you been away for a while? I really expected to see you post this a week ago. Seriously though, when she came to Dr. Laura's defense I was pissed. Not only was freedom of speech never violated (nobody filed any kind of charges against her), but I'm pretty sure people almost universally agree that Dr. Laura acted like a moron. But then, I've had a few friends from Alaska. They really don't understand race relations between black and white people. They genuinely don't understand how offensive the N word is since there are almost no black people in Alaska. I once had an argument with a friend of mine over the word because she just couldn't fathom why saying it, in almost ANY context, was inappropriate and offensive. She herself didn't say it, but she was defending someone else who had used it referring to a white person "acting black". Either way, Dr. Laura is just as free to say stupid and hateful things as she ever was. The radio station is also free to fire her, and people are free to stop listening to her. Freedom goes both ways. As for her conversation with the woman, if she would have just used N-word instead of "n#####r", it wouldn't have been any worse than her typical behavior. Instead she chose to rub it in the girl's face. She had one and ONLY one good point. Black people saying it repeatedly as they do on HBO makes white people think it's ok. My wife and I already had to talk to my father in law about that word because he was a huge fan of the Dave Chappelle Show where that word is used every five minutes and he started to think it was ok for him to say it.
@anniepa (27162)
I agree, it's wrong for anyone to use that word, at any time, in any context. I get where people are coming from when they say blacks sometimes use it to take away its power to hurt or however you want to say it but that doesn't make it right, not in my opinion. I've never been to Alaska and I've only briefly met a few guys from there one time and race was never mentioned. However, I believe it's probably not as diverse as the "lower 48", although my own area is predominantly white. The things that got me the most about this is how so many people, even people who really should know better, tend to be confused about the purpose of the First Amendment. There are so many times when someone claims their freedom of speech has been violated when it hasn't be AT ALL. Like you said, if a radio station chooses to fire someone, they can, if listeners decided to change the station, they can and if sponsors want to pull out, they can. That's not the same as someone from the government stepping in and saying someone can't speak their mind. Another thing that confuses me is how Sarah Palin could possibly defend Dr. Laura after the rotten things she said and wrote. You know I'm no Sarah fan but I was angered when I saw that. I don't recall hearing about it back in 2008 but I think it was an insult to all women that she shouldn't have gone back to work after having her baby, etc. but that's what Dr. Laura does, she insults working mothers all the time although she's been one herself for years. Annie
Yes, Anniepa, I'm one of those who like it used as a way of "taking away its power." Back in 2004 I had a White female coworker who used it. "My N-word-ah" she'd say and I wasn't bothered by it. Yet, yesterday my cousin mentioned how he talked to some young "gangsta's" who use the word. He told them the history of the word's offense of how cruelly the word was used as the master dominated his slaves. The young Black's who use that term or who see people like Dave Chappelle use it, don't comprehend the significance of it unless they meet up with a bad policeman.
@RobtheRock (2485)
Maybe she can see Dr. Laura's house from her "front" yard. But seriously, perhaps we should ask how well Sarah remembers things. She might have really forgotten.
@anniepa (27162)
You're right, she might have. It also could be that she's one "Mama Grizzly" that's quite selective in her attacks, even when it comes to defending herself or her own "cubs"...remember how she demanded Rahm Emanuel's head on a platter after he'd used the word "retarded" during a private meeting and yet shrugged it off as "satire" when Rush Limbaugh repeated it over and over on his radio show? Annie
@spalladino (17927)
Sister Sarah is, as always, completely oblivious. She clearly didn't understand the issue at hand when she Tweeted and I'm betting that she has no idea (still) what Dr. Laura wrote about her. Palin needs attention and she saw an opportunity to get some by sticking her nose in this one. Personally, I vote for totally ignorant, stupid and insensitive.