How would you define personality?

Hello friends, In Cambridge Advanced Learners' Dictionary the meaning of the word personality is given as, [i]the type of person you are, which is shown by the way you behave, feel and think [/i] In psychological terms, a personality is defined by, [i]Personality refers to our characteristic ways of responding to individuals and situations. [/i] These two definitions of personality are similar and commonly considered by most of us as elementary. Each one of us has his own understanding of personality. The way I define it may not be the same as the way you do. It mainly depends on individual perception and the experiences one has in one's life. Some features protrude more than others. Some stay dormant, some are quite stark. What is your idea of personality? How do you define personality? Thanks in advance for your participations. God bless you
@Jotomy (6351)
Hi getbiswa, according to me personality is the motive power required to run life effectively. One's personality involves factors like his intelligence, career, outlook character. Good personality is the individual's totality of all these characteristics. It is not just the outlook. Personality is the vital force that plays each and every activity of an individual. It signifies the behavior. Have a great weekend.
Hi, I don't know what to say. I am more than impressed at this response. Yes, personality is a combination of few things. You can identify personality in one's action and behavior. Sometimes it is difficult to tag a person good or bad, as there are little bit of both in everyone. So we identify the psychological traits and evaluate them individually. Then again we compile and combine them to draw a refined picture of the personality as a whole. Thanks so much for this response. God bless you.
@dpk262006 (56531)
Hi get! As per the dictionary meaning of the word personality it is said that one's entire qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a person. I think how we behave and how we conduct in our day to day dealing with our near and dear ones, defines our personality. We have basically two personalities, one is our private personality and one is our public personality. How we behave with our close family members defines our private personality and we behave differently when we are at public place or may be at our work place. I also started a discussion about 'personality',may like to see: http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2345664.aspx
Yeah, I went to your discussion and posted my opinion there. Please check it out. Thanks.
@saphrina (31739)
• South Africa
I would define personality as to the person itself, sweetie. It is what's making each one of us unique in our own way. Without a personality you would be nothing. TATA.
@dpk262006 (56531)
Well, I think that personality is those characteristics that we have as individuals that impact who we are. I realize that this is a somewhat cryptic definition of it, but to me it makes perfectly good sense because of the fact that there are no two individuals that will have the exact same personality. You see, it is our personalities that really make each person truly individual. For me, I am many things and no one in my family is all of the same things that I am.
Personality is what defines a human being, and this can define animals too (my cat, Lucky is living proof of this). It's the way that you behave, talk, think, feel, and just everything that you do. Everyone has a different personality, and some have more personality than others. My personality can be sarcastic, charming, outgoing, friendly, feisty, and nurturing. I also have a tendency to be funny, especially when I am being sarcastic.
@mspitot (3833)
For me, personality is the sum of all our actions.
@Lore2009 (7388)
There was a time in my life when I stopped believing that personality even existed. I thought that we are just reacting to things in a given situation and our reaction was based on the way we were raised and the environment we were in. But then, now I think, all of that is our personality and it is pretty much how we tend to react to different situations compared to other people.
@bloemart (222)
For me, personality is the way how you react to a certain thing, and the way how you handle the situation. Personality is our soul. If you have bad personality, you are also a bad person. Just I think
To me a personality, I compare to a person's character. It could be define as a good one and a bad one. Character for me is how one reacts and behaves.
it is the mirror of your behaviour !!!
@mentalward (14695)
Having been a proofreader and copy editor most of my working life, my definitions of most things are what you find in a dictionary. My work demanded that I stick to the established meaning of words. It became engrained into my psyche. So, 'personality', to me, is the way a person behaves, feels and thinks. Of course, that does include personal characteristics and traits.
@rappeter13 (5298)
Personality is the sum of the actions and reactions, feelings and thoughts that you do or have responding to a stimulus from the outside, and the frequency of these actions, reactions, feelings and thoughts. If you are scared, you tend to act the same way, every time. So this repeated reaction is a part of your personality. And this is true to every life situation. Personality is your way of responding to outside stimulus. Hope it is clear.