Chiropractor for Kids

@teamrose (1499)
My husband wants to take our kids to a chiropractor and get them regular adjustments. I think it's completely ridiculous and a giant scam (especially for kids). I need something to show him that at least casts major doubt on the whole chiropractor visits for kids. Mind you, my kids are 3 and 1! I can't believe he believes everything the chiropractor spewed at him...
@dragon54u (31636)
I disagree with your husband. Your children's bones are fragile, still growing in a natural way and a chiropractor's manipulations could cause them to grow abnormally. I think chiropractors do a good service but only after the bones are completely formed. If your child has a curvature of the spine then perhaps an EXPERT chiropractor could help it grow more normally but he or she would have to be a specialist that has studied for years and even then I'm doubtful. I may be completely off base here but I'm just using my common sense. A growing body, as long as it is healthy, should be left to do so naturally.
@teamrose (1499)
On this we agree. My pediatrician is going to help me talk to my husband and get him to see the light.
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I know of people who go to chiropractors all the time. They never seem to fix the problem, just maintain it short term so that the patients keep coming back. It horrifies me to hear of how often one friend in particular has to keep going for visits! I think that teaching the kids stretching and yoga moves early on will be a great practice for them to build inner strength and flexibility which hopefully they will be able to keep up for the rest of their lives and avoid chiropractors. I used to be in pain all the time with lower back pain and upper back/shoulder pain, but since I have been doing regular yoga and stretching routines, I have improved my posture, am more flexible and have more core strength. For the first time in my life at 37 years of age, I can bend down and touch my toes with straight legs and feet together. I also managed to climb a fire pole at a playground using only my arms to pull me up. I could not even do that as a child!
@teamrose (1499)
I love the yoga idea. Thanks.