Sparks!?

@diutay (1315)
Philippines
August 30, 2010 9:42am CST
I just approached my room mate and when I touched her back to call her attention, I felt a spark or whatever you call it. It was like a bolt of electricity or something. That's not the first time it happened. The same thing happened before. I don't know what causes it but it can be quite disturbing. I immediately pulled my hand back. It was like I'd accidentally been grounded. In her case, it hurt a bit. Has that ever happened to you before? Do you know what causes it?
1 person likes this
3 responses
@SomeCowgirl (32266)
• United States
31 Aug 10
Others have explained what it's called and what it is, but another word for it is being "shocked" which is basically the static electricity jolting you for a moment. Rubbing a baloon, dragging your feet on a carpet for awhile... If you rub a balloon on your head I think it makes your hair cling to the balloon if I'm not mistaken.
1 person likes this
@diutay (1315)
• Philippines
31 Aug 10
Actually, it just happened again. I don't know how we can avoid it.
• India
31 Aug 10
Static electricity is mostly harmless. But here are some tips to avoid getting "shocked". 1. Try wearing leather shoes. 2. Check if the carpet you are walking on or sheets you use is made of Nylon. If yes , change it. Rubbing with nylon leads to rapid accumulation on charges on you. 3. Moisturising the skin can also help to avoid getting zapped. 4. Wearing a metal thimble in contact with your skin can help a lot. 5. carry a coin with you and use this to touch metal surface often to transfer charges painlessly. Hope these tips help.
• India
30 Aug 10
Meet Static Electricity. It refers to the built up of electric charges on surfaces of objects. Its a commonly occurring phenomenon.And yes, you are right, you were grounded. Its like this. Everything is made of atoms and atoms consists of protons electrons and neutrons. Flow of electrons constitute electricity. Electron usually get accumulated on surfaces of insulators due to constant rubbing of surfaces(insulators - materials that do not conduct electricity like blankets, cot, bed,sofa, duvet etc on which your friend may have been sitting). When you touched your friend, you and your friend completed a conducting electrical circuit from the insulator to ground there by achieving a flow of current through your body. Which you experienced as the slightly ticklish spark.
@diutay (1315)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
I guess that explains it.
@sjlskl (3384)
• Singapore
30 Aug 10
This is call static electricity. And it is pretty common occurence, not only human to human but human and metals like door knobs. One of the reason could be the air con. As for your friend, maybe you or her is dragging your shoe while you walk and this can cause the static electricity to build up.
1 person likes this
@diutay (1315)
• Philippines
30 Aug 10
Aha...we're staying in an air-conditioned room. that might be it. She was actually just sitting down working on something on the pc when I approached her.