Was it right that the father turned his son in to the police?

My friend asked me to ask this for him. he is waiting to read what you write. Ok he turned his run away son in to the police last night. He ran away from a group home a few weeks ago. The police was parked outside of his house lots of times. The father asked his son to turn himself into the police many times. Now the son is calling the father a snitch. Now my friend is feeling bad about this.
@ElicBxn (59911)
your friend did the right and responsible thing, the son is an immature brat, so of course he thinks that way BTW, the roommate's brother is also an immature brat and he's 46
@lilybug (21182)
No he should not feel bad. There is obviously a reason why he got sent to a group home and his running away from that group home proves that he still needs to be in it. I think your friend was totally right to turn him in.
@sjhaeki (798)
hi giftsandbagscom, i get that your friend is feeling bad about it. it is always hard to do the right thing (considering his son did something unlawful and deserving to be punished) especially if it has something to do with our family. his son may hate him now but soon he may come to realize that what your friend is doing is just what's best for his son. sometimes, to rear a prodigal son you have to be hard to both yourself and your son/loved one at the same time. hopefully what i share was at least of little help.
@cream97 (29175)
If his son was into some kind of trouble with the police that was very dangerous, then he did the right thing by turning him into the police. Why did his son run away from the group home? If his son did something very bad, then turning him into the police would have been the right thing to do. I know that he may be feeling sorry about it. If his son did something wrong, he is bounded to be caught and held liable for the crime that he has committed.
don't fell bad his father is looking out for his son and maybe it will do him some good to see the consequence of his actions
@icyorchid (2566)
Missing parts of the story, what was he in the home for? I think if the kid did something extremely wrong like shooting someone or armed robbery or rape, then yes the parent has the legal obligation to turn their child in. I would want my child to learn a good lesson from it if that was the situation. Although it would be extremely painful to turn him in, I would do it.
My sister ran away from a place for kids with problems and we don't know where she is. She has a warrant out for her so we are waiting to see what happens. I think your friend did the right thing. In this case he is the father and he decides what to do with his son. If his son is underage he needs to understand and do what his father tells him to do. It's the best thing for him because who knows what sort of trouble he is getting himself into out on the streets. I wish your friend the very best with his son. Trust me I understand completely what he is probably going through.
he said you gave a good response and it was nice. he said he did not think there were sincere people out there like that. And that his son resents him right now and he knows he did what he did to help his son.. Thanks
• Marion, Kansas
These kids act impulsively and cause so much grief that it makes everyone sad. The father would feel bad either way. I hope he and his son can make it up someday when the son is older.
I think when his son is older GardenGerty is right that the father and son can hopefully repair the relationship because then hopefully the son will have matured and will understand more why his dad called the Police!
@syankee525 (6298)
ok a father. and my kids learned this early in life, if they did something to break the law i will turn thier butt in a heart beat. as parnets and ive been thorugh this with family memembers where their kids had broken the law. my middle brother did turn in his own son, and my older brother wouldnt do it. my older brother kept saying he will learn. no he wont. your friend have to remember what he did was right, because if he didnt turn his son, then he would either be visting his son in jail for along time, or he would be bury his son. its hard i know. but yeah his son is mad at him now and hofully one day when his son is grown his dad did what he had to do to save him from the life of crime or whatever because he cares and love him so i told tell your friend to tell his son, yeah you are mad at me now one day when you grow up and look back i did this because i care and most of all i love you, so you can be mad at me now at less you are alive to do so.
This is just what is going to happen. Time will tell for these two. I know the son is headed to prison if he does not get his act together. He can't come home now on the weekends but this is his lesson he has to learn. His sister is home and doing well.
@carmelanirel (21108)
No your friend should not feel bad, he did the right thing. Though I don't know the details, your friend obviously felt his son needs help or to pay for whatever crime he committed. And tell your friend that his kid will say things like that, but in the end, once his son knows what his dad did was for his own good, he will appreciate it. (Now it may take 10-20 years, but it happens)
His son ran away from a group home and hid from the police. So the father called and had him picked up and taken back to the home..
Yeah, I got that part, but why was he in a group home? Because he did something, right? Then the father did the right thing..
@jonnifc (1021)
I think it's just right what the father did. It's called tough love. The son is just mad because his father isn't condoning the wrong that he's done. The father is just trying to teach the son the lesson of accepting taking responsibility of our actions, just as a father should. Everything we do has consequences and we should accept them, hard as they may be. He may not be old enough to understand but someday he will thank his father because, although he doesn't know it yet, it's the best thing for him. I hope the son realizes how lucky he is to have a father who wants the best for him, no matter how hard it was to do. I hope they patch things up in the future.
I think lil ernest will come around when he gets his self together. His father has already been there through the hardest times in his life and never turned his back on him. Why he would do this would be a mystery to me forever.
• Marion, Kansas
He obviously has problems that have caused him to be put in a group home.I think it is right his father turned him in. If he got into worse trouble and the father had not turned him in, the father could be just as guilty as the son. Sometimes kids do not get things their own way.
His son is headed to prison and his father just wants to save him from that route. he is in the home now and I know when he took his firtsh shower he was feeling good. The boy was a filthy mess everyday.
@sedel1027 (17868)
If his son was running from the police because be broke the law, he did the right thing.
Yes he did and I told his father to get over this already.
I think that the father of this child did the only thing that an honest person could ever do. The reason that I feel this way is because as a parent we always want to look out for what is best for our children and because of that, if we find out that they've ran away, it is natural that we would report them to the police for their own safety. Yes, the child might be upset with his father right now, but in the future I think he will understand what his father did for him and will thank him for it.
@Polly1 (12650)
Thats tough love. The dad was very brave and loves his son very much. Thats one of the hardest things that a parent is called to do, turn your kid into the police for their own good. Hopefully the son will get over it and forgive his dad. But the dad did the right thing. Thank him from us for wanting our opinion, you now we like to give our two cents.
@KrauseHome (32350)
Personally if it was me, it would really depend on whether that is the easiest way to handle this, or would I try and have a talk with my son first and if it was really serious try to get him to turn himself in, and face the consequences himself. You would not want a son to hold a grudge against you if you were the father unless the father in the end was trying to protect and help his son. Overall I hope that good things can eventually come from this.
If it is for his son's well-being, then what he did was correct. Otherwise, I will hide him from the police. On another note, if my son did something that is disruptive to the community, then I would be the one to send him to the police. Because it would only show what kind of parent I am if I tolerate his behavior.
I honestly think that your friend did the right thing by calling the police on his son. His son of course is probably angry and not really caring about what happens to him but his father will always care and give his son his unconditional love. His son may not see it that way right now, but once he gets older and wiser and gains some more maturity he will realize why his dad called the police, that it was tough love, and that his dad did it because he cares.
@sid556 (31018)
Hi Gifts, That's a hard call really. I once turned my daughter in but it was a last resort and after I'd given her many many chances to do what was right. The fact that he is in a group home tells me that he has already been in trouble with the law. If the father continued to lie and cover for him, he would end up in trouble too if the cops discovered that he was covering. If the kid had a valid reason for running away then the father should advocate for him. If he just ran away because he doesn't like to adhere to the rules then it sounds as if he still has some growing and learning to do. I'm sure the father feels bad but really...the kid brought it on. He put himself in that spot by running away. He can blame his dad if it makes him feel better but sooner or later the kid needs to realize that he is responsible for his own actions and the consequences.
@dodo19 (26637)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
The law is the law. As much as it's difficult to do something to your children, I don't think that it's wrong to do this. He did the right thing, in my opinion. He was doing this for the best of his son.