the elderly can still be productive

Today I met a colleague who retired years ago and we got to talking. Rather, she talked I listened. She was shedding steam and burden...the husband was the object. My friend still works (in another company now) while the husband is retired and stays at home and does practically nothing. My friend feels he should help in chores, the husband says he is writing a book (which my friend never saw, not even the drafts.) That's the background. I friend it was the husband's attempt to retain a semblance of self-respect and dignity. And added he might try to find some community work he can join in the neighborhood to keep him occupied and find meaning still. And I thought, we (at least in my country) don't pay much attention to our elderly citizens. They feel worthless, useless and a burden to the family. This affect the psychological and emotional health of the whole family. Yet, barring illness, they could still be productive in society. Just sharing a thought. You may want to share your thought on the elderly. Thanks.
I am a believer of this.I myself don't want to retire.I experienced a few years ago how it is to live without any source of income.honestly it drove me insane.that's one of the reason why I don't want to retire completely.also, a lot of studies proved that elders who work and own their own money is free from depression and diseases prevalent in elders who don't work.
Yes, I agree. Much of the diseases of the elderly is brought about by depression and insecurities. They feel they are no longer wanted. I remember my mother who felt she was no longer useful and was depressed. I had to reassure her she was still needed by the family. I would ask little things from her so she would feel she is still wanted, needed and loved. So unnecessarily depressing to witness that from the elderly, then and now. Thanks for your response.
@megamatt (14329)
The eldery can have some valuable lessons to give. Especially considering the fact that they do have more years and more time to make mistakes, that they learn lessons from. A lot of the time, they can ramble on for sure, and on and on, really talking your ear off. Still, much of what they say within the rambling, is very valuable. Even if it does not make much sense at first, it really does later. So yeah, it might seem like nonsense, but sometimes I just like to listen to the older people out there. Grandparents and otherwise, they can really give us some valuable information that can make our lives just a bit more enlightened and rather interesting. There are times where you just got to step back and give these people a listen. You would be rather surprise with how valuable their insights could be. Many of their minds could be going, but sometimes they say something that is oddly enlightening.
So true, they are a treasure of experiential knowledge. They also represent history which is passed on from generation to generation therefore creating a link. Something which we neglect. It is so sad really. Specially nowadays, we get detached from our lineage we no longer know our own history.
@zapatee (477)
most elderly people i know are still productive. they say, staying otherwise would only make them stagnate and feel more older. unlike some younger people's perception that these elderly people only want to stay at home, be served, and stagnant--i find these untrue for most that ive come across. they like being productive. they want to work, but sometimes it's the younger people who wants them to stay at home and do nothing at all. that actually makes them sadder than anything else. let them do what they want as long as they still have the energy and interest to do those things. as long as they feel happy about being productive, let's give it to them.
@mikeowl (200)
Somehow I do respect those elders as they are somehow more experienced and knowledgeable and would always try to teach us youngsters. It's just most of the time that we youngsters doesn't have the patience and energy to spare to hear their stories. Most of the time we really doesn't bother much. But truthfully, although I respect them, they are some which I don't quite like in my country especially those beggars. It's not like that they are crippled or handicapped. If you got hands or legs, why don't you work for your money rather than begging in every corner of the shops. I will only give money to those beggars who cannot afford to gain money themselves. Why I said so, this is because of the true story of our country beggars. Come here begging for money at night drive a Mercedes Benz. How ridiculous is that? And the fact that this is the truth happening in my country.