Would you let your sick kids go to a birthday party??

I am a bit livid tonight. We were invited to 4 year old's birthday party for tomorrow. It's a very small party, and 2 of the guests (siblings - and happens to be my daughter's good friends) who were invited are still sick. So I assumed they wouldn't be there. Not a big assumption, I would have thought. So I get this email from the sick girls' mom. She said that the host really, really wanted the girls to be there - and didn't care that they were sick. So the mom asked me how I felt - that did I feel "ok" that they'd come even though the girls still felt awful. I WANTED TO SLAP BOTH THOSE MOMS. How irresponsible. The host's kids got over a cold just a couple weeks ago, so it surprised me she'd say she didn't care if she had sick guests. Thanks for thinking of everyone else - NOT! How does she think I felt . . . I have a daughter starting kindergarten on Monday - and a 10 month old baby! The host later emailed me and said she canceled the party but for another reason. Good. And I emailed back the sickies' mom and basically told her I personally wouldn't feel right taking sick kids to a birthday party no matter what. I wanted to give her some angry words, but felt it best to keep it brief and civil since I have to see her regularly. Do you think it's wrong to let your sick kids attend a birthday party? I sure do. Now I have given these moms a negative rating . . . too bad there isn't a star with a number in it next to them like we do in myLot - ha ha.
@Foxxee (3653)
All parents make a poor choice sooner or later, so I won't judge these mothers. Parents should stick together when it comes to things like this & sometimes one of us parents will do something that the other parent will be livid, but instead of rating other parents a negative, maybe just offer some good advice. As for me sending my kids sick to a party... no I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to get anyone else sick. Sometimes we have to miss parties & even big holidays because of sick kids. The smart thing would have been for her to say she just can't come, her kids need rest. Simple. But who knows what the mothers were thinking. At least it was canceled, right? :)
@gdesjardin (1938)
I definitely think it is wrong to bring sick kids to a party. I actually think it is wrong to let sick kids out of the house! It was very selfish of the mother to want to take her kids to the party. Why as a mother would you want to get other people sick! How heartless can she be. Not to mention, I am sure with all the running around at a party, those children would get sicker.
@RachelleNH (1408)
And this is why my kids are always sick..in our school-they're pretty much allowed to send em sick..my son was sick last week-he told me kids were vomiting in class. I'd be avoiding that party if I knew that sickies would be there. Happy Birthday-here's a cold for you :(
@spazz435 (323)
No I don't think that I would take my sick kids, or if I was throwing the party, have sick kids come to my party. For reasons that bringing them to a party would give the other people there risks of getting sick as well. If a child is sick then they need to stay home and rest. Even though they may really want to go to the party, or the hosts really want them there. There is no reason that you need to be doing that. If their child is sick, they need to think of what's best for the child. Not what's best for the party. Happy MyLotting :)
@mflower2053 (3227)
thats sad. Her child needs friends that bad that the mother would risk getting her child and other children sick. I would not let my kids go to a birthday party if they were sick unless its family then I could kind of keep them away by going put them in a room to rest. Its best for kids to rest when they are sick.
My kids were almost never sick, so IF they were sick it was so unusual, I kept them home and in bed. I would be concerned for their health as well as for the well being of all the other party goers.
@aurorastorm (1136)
I absolutely would not take a sick kid to a party. Last year my son had been sick a few days before his own Birthday party, the night before his party he still had a fever. He begged me to let him still have his party. As much as it broke my heart to cancel it, that is what I had to do, I would not want the kids coming to the party to get sick.
@sissy67 (225)
Nope, I wouldnt let my kids attend a birthday party if they were sick. I just think of the other kids there and the fact that my kids would be spreading the germ. I wouldnt appreciate it if other moms let their sick kids attend
@chona0912 (104)
hi , yeah i agree with you it is very irresponsible for moms to permit sick children to go to a party . In the first place this children are sick , so their immune system is down and going to a party might aggravate the sickness. Second , other children might get the virus or the bacteria so everybody in the party would get sick too. Lastly its too stressful for sick children because of the noise , the crowd etc. So its better to let your child rest till she gets better.
@cripfemme (7715)
I wouldn't let my sick kid go a party. They'll get sicker from all the playing and trying to keep up with their friends, as is in kids naturally do, out of competition, even though they know it'll make them feel worse in the long run, Mot to mention, they make the other children and their households ill as well.
@syankee525 (6294)
i think i would. i wouldnt want someone thier sick kid to a party at my place and take the chance of making everyone sick
Yep, I wouldn't want a sick kid coming to my kid's party - particularly if it were in my own home (even a public place it would be bad). Not only could kids spread it to other kids - us adults can get it too!!
Maybe it depends, whether the sickness is spreadable or not, and if my kid has the energy to really enjoy the party. But since they're mostly kids in that party, they're prone to catching sickness, I wouldn't let my kids go.
I think the problem is many people don't know when the contagious period is . . . so they figure if they feel good or have energy, then they are fine to go. But that's not exactly true - one could still be contagious even if they "feel good". I wouldn't let my kids go either.
@redhotpogo (4422)
No. I would not let sick kids go to a birthday party. They'll get everyone else sick, and then everyone will have a fit. The parents will spread rumors, and then no one will want to be their friends, or yours.
This winter everyone was sick - there was some stomach bug going around - and it is still circulating. Well, besides the birthday parties, I think it was going around school and work - so everyone wasn't exactly thinking of others about the germy deal this season. Stay healthy!
@thedaddym (1737)
I probably would not because the child should be home resting and I would not want my kid to get other kids sick. The only way I might is if it was at like the end of the sickness and the doctor has assures me that what my child has is not contagious. Otherwise I would not bring a sick kid to a party out of consideration to everyone else and because a party is too much excitement for a sick child.
@SViswan (12071)
Of course not. I wouldn't send my kids to a party if they were sick. If it was something that wasn't contagious, we would go a little before the party started, after the party was done or even the next day sometimes...give the gift, wish the child and leave immediately....sometimes get a bit of the cake (if anything was left over of it)...and some moms gave the kids some more goodies too. But all this only if it's an immediate neighbour and it's something non-contagious.
LOL at the star rating for mothers. I definitely know a few mothers that wouldn't have any stars at all beside their names. That said, I really think that when it comes to a sick child at a birthday party it is a matter of judgement. I wouldn't knowingly take my sick child to a birthday party if I knew that they had something that was contagious. However, if they did have an ear infection or something like that and they had been on antibiotics for a little while I really don't think that there would be any harm in it.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I would never send sick kids to a birthday party. That is just a bad way to keep things spreading around.
@chertsy (3804)
I'm amazed that the parent of the birthday child said it was ok for the sick kids to come. I can understand that as a parent you spend a lot of money for a child to have a party. It's just not worth it when your kids and others gets sick. I'm glad the party got canceled, even if wasn't because of kids being sick. At the moment I have a sick child, and I wouldn't want her going anywhere that she could give her cold to. I'm actually upset, because a kid at her school did a poor job of covering his mouth when he coughed and now she's sick. I wish parents today would stop thinking of themselves and pay more attention to their kids. If they are sick, keep them home, so the non sick kids won't get sick.
@fran429 (503)
i wouldnt let my kids go to a party sick... why would a parent allow their kids to spread germs? I mean, they SAY that you're contagious up to 2 weeks before symptoms show and by the time you show that you're sick, you're no longer contagious... BUT that's obviously with virul situations and not bacterial situations. Bacterial you need 24 hours on meds to no longer be contagious... however, who listens to what they say? I'm way more cautious than that! I mean, just because *I* dealt with a sick child doesn't mean I'd allow others to have to deal with it!
@eihdra (3116)
What was that mom thinking?! Maybe she was more concerned on having a big flop party that's why she insisted on bringing even the sick kids Of course, I wouldn't allow my sick kid to go to a party! One reason is that she/he needs rest and birthday excitements wouldn't do well for my kid. Another thing is, I'm also concerned that my kid would only spread the viruses and in turn make the other kids sick too eventually. And then all the other mothers would despise me for allowing a sick kid mingle in the party.