Do you clean out the inside of your computer?

@megamatt (14331)
If you don't, then you really should. There can be a lot of dust that can accumulate in the cleanest of rooms, that causes the fans to stall and overheat a lot of the time. So you want to open the computer and spray that stuff out once every two or three months at the very least. I use a can of compressed air in a can. Its at Walmart in my area, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere. So how about you? Do you do this very tedious, but important part of computer maintenance?
Well, My response to this is if i did clean out my computer i would probably break it. Yeh i get what your saying, when i dont clean out my computer it get's overheat so my Friend who's a Computer Engineering told me this steps. 1. Shut down your computer 2. Leave the computer unplugged. 3. Disconnect all peripherals into the surge supressor. 4. Spray Compress air on fan blades. 5. Gently dust off the remaining dust. 6. Replace and cover and reconnect the peripehrals. Hope this help anyone. Roxas Knight
@halimbd (124)
• Bangladesh
Computer clean up is an important task for it's user. I think your instruction to clean computer is easy and simple. It will be good reminder and helpful for other myLot members. I did not care about computer clean up before. After this post I will try to clean my computer. To do this computer cleaner like mini vacuum cleaner, brush, soft cloth etc is essential. So Before start to clean out computer it is necessary to collect them from a nearest computer shop.
@megamatt (14331)
I agree those instructions are simple. It should really help anyone who is a bit reluctant and unsure about how to go about cleaning up the components of their computer. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
I never clean our computer ever since we bought seven months ago even I am seeing lots of thick dust in the fan and in other parts inside our computer. Maybe this is because we are do not knowledge how to dismantle it and also we are not brave enough. And the other reason, the computer still in its warrant period, we do not want to accidentally tamper it and the warranty will be void. But in worst case that it needed to be cleaned I think we will go to the service station were we bough it so it will be taken care off by a professional.
@megamatt (14331)
Sometimes if you're uncertain, it is best to be taken care of by a professional. It really is something that depends on person to person. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
Actually cleaning inside the computer is very important because the performance of the computer is affected when it is dirty. It hold be done every quarterly of the year.
@megamatt (14331)
Indeed the performance is affected. It does seem to run a bit faster when it is cleaned. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
I try to clean it out whenever I can because I know that it will run slow if I don't. It can be tedious, but it is totally worth it. Also, dusters make is so much easier.
@megamatt (14331)
Yes, its worth it. Trust me, its more tedious if everything breaks down because it overheats it. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@aaronfyzeon (1920)
yes. recently i just had my computer fixed and got cleaned inside and out. It has been like two years since my laptop has its internal cleaning. when i myself saw it has being cleaned inside i was like very shocked that it has like full of cob webs and lots of dirt. It has also a small spider that has been trapped inside. I was like very happy my laptop is up and running after it has been all cleaned up. and my computer is like new again and ready to be used 24/7. have a great week ahead of you.
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, its shocking what can build up in there after a while. It is rather mortifying to say the very least. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
Yes, I do this every few months and I realise the importance of doing this. That dust can be a real nuisance when it accumulates on the fans especially over the processor. I use cans of compressed air myself and I found a company whereby you can buy them in packs of three or four and it's relatively cheap as well. I guess your professionals probably go for something like the antistatic vacuum cleaner which you can use in the inside of pcs, they can be quite expensive though. Your everyday user just doesn't realise the importance of opening up their pcs in order to remove the dust and subsequently they face major problems later on. Now that I come to think about this I guess it's time to be opening up my pc again. Andrew
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, the vacuum cleaner is something that I heard about. However the compressed air will work just enough if you keep up with on a regular basis. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
I've never done that...but yes i observed the dust when i opened it and cleaned abit but not thoroughly...and the computer got cleaned when i had taken it to the maintenace person because my computer wouldn't start due to a virus...yes that was the time when it was cleaned otherwise never. i think I should start the clean up act before anything major happens...thanks for bringing the topic up and for your valuable inputs.
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, it is important to do this. Dust can clog the components and make the computer lock up in certain circumstances like every hour or less. That is not good at all. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
uhh yeah, we clean it, hehe i have an experience and knowldege on how to clean the computer especially with its internal parts. of course, by the use of a mini vacuum cleaner, some clean cloth, cotton buds, a soft brush and a small duster for cleaning. First you need to unplug the power supply, and then remove or unplug the other parts like keyboard, mouse etc. then open the rig carefully and you may start to clean! plug out the memory chip, the hard drives and the disk drives, do not remove the motherboard~ and yes, i think maintenance is important, just like humans we need to take a bath, computers needs to be cleaned also. you should remove all the visible and tiniest dust in your unit, because sometimes it may cause problems :)... we do maintenance in our computer units once or every two months. happy mylotting!
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah its good that you have the knowledge of that. Apparently, only about ten percent of computer users know that they should do that. At least that's what I heard from a technician. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@carmelanirel (20979)
No and thanks for posting this, I wondered how often I should clean out the inside..Problem is, I am afraid I'll disconnect something important and then will be without a computer..:( I have had this computer for about 6-7 months now, I guess I should be brave and very careful..lol
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, you got to be very careful. I am sure there are step by step guides to do it. I remember when I learned that I had to do this. It was a computer issue and we had to call a technician here to fix the problem. All we had to do is to spray out the computer. I wanted to crawl into a hole because of that simple situation. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@lucas5 (459)
• Sao Paulo, Brazil
yes I do, every week because I let my PC open, it is on all long day and sometimes it be hot, and so, I have to clean it up every week.
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, there might be some circumstances where you might have to do it that often. Of course, I never really did it that often, but some people have. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
I agree with you so much,especially board.many people bought a computer from up to retirement are not cleaned up their board,in fact clean-up board is not the motherboard in order to maintain the surface clean,the power supply ,memory and graphics cards and other inernal plug-in also is important,many motherboard failures are due to poor contact caused by motherbord slot,so the user is under the home environment.codition for a period of six months,rugularly dust
@megamatt (14331)
Yes, there is a lot of things to consider. It is important to not take these things for granted and to keep on the uptake of the computer. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
I seldom clean my computer like that. At most what I do is just clean the outside---the keyboard and cover, that's all. I can choose to open the computer but it's very inconvenient for me. Well after listening to what you said, I think I really need to start doing that! Thanks!
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, its an overlooked but important part of computer maintenance. However, it is something that is extremely important that this is done, to save yourself some nightmares at the end. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
you are right. Before i was not use the clean my laptop (processor area). And the result was frequesnt crashed and now my laptop works as a charm. No crash, nothing.
@megamatt (14331)
The simplest situations like cleaning your computer work rather well all things considered. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
• Bulgaria
I personally every two monthe to thoroughly clean the inside of your computer.Whit the vacuum cleaner is easy and does not take long
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah that is always good. Get that taken care of. It doesn't take as much time as one might thing, if you keep up with it. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@qianyun6 (2069)
Yes, the inside of our computer can be extremely dirty with tons of dust. Once my computer didn't work. The monitor didn't display anything. This problem usually caused by a poor contact of RAM, so I opened my computer case and was totally shocked. So dirty!!! So I cleaned it immediately and felt much better after I finished it.
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, you'd be surprised how many computer problems can be solved by this simple solution. Its very staggering to say the least. Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
Me too i don't clean the inside of my computer, because I'm afraid ill disconnect something and my computer will not work anymore, i think it is almost 2 years now ^_^ the inside of my computer will surely like hunted house now full of spider and dust ^_^ my technician brother is the one who cleaning it always but now he is Busy of his online work and no time to help me clean my computer. I wish I have a computer who is ready to do it anytime I ask him.
@megamatt (14331)
Yes, it can build up pretty well with a number of months. Never mind a couple of years. Thank you for your response, it is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@sinaj292 (602)
no never... i afraid to do so with my computer... i think it is better to clean with the service man...
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, if you are unsure, sometimes professional help is the best. Even if it does cost a bit more. Still, it really depends on how you feel. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@MsTickle (24962)
I've never done this. I use a laptop and I dust it regularly but it's amazing how grotty they get and how much stuff gets spilled on them. My current laptop seems to have a different sort of key that inhibits junk from getting inside. It sounds good theoretically, I hope that is the case. I've never seen that air in a can. If it is available over here in Aus then it's probably very expensive.
@megamatt (14331)
Well, if your laptop is preventing things from getting inside, I wouldn't really mess with it, unless it starts to start locking up or overheating it. Of course, laptops may work a little differently than PCs. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
• France
I do that quite regularly. When I did that for the first time (happened around 2 years after buying the PC) I was shocked to see the inside. Loked like a horror movie scene. The idea that you breathe all that stuff in everytime you work makes me sick. Since then I try to clean up once a month. Normally I use a hover. 2 minutes and my PC is clean and shiny.
@megamatt (14331)
Yeah, when it was opened by the technician the first time, it was quite horrifying. I wanted to gag. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.
@jinghan (133)
i think i have formed a good habit that i would clean out the computer every few days. i agree with you ,the conputer need our care,do cleaning is very necesary.
@megamatt (14331)
Yes, it looks like you are on the right track. Every few months is a good rule of thumb, in general, but it varies. Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated and it contributed to the topic well. Have a nice day and thanks.