Why is Gov. Palin the focus of the the left and media attacks?

@bobmnu (8160)
When I think back to when Gov Palin was named as Senator McCain's running mate and so many people liked her and an equal number were upset with her. One of the comments made about her was how could she even be considered when she graduated from a small college, University of Idaho, and not an Ivy League school. Now a Blog has focused on a new idea and that is that she threatened the Status of the people in power. You see similar attacks on other "outsiders" decide to run for public office or are becoming politically active. http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/15616.html It is something to watch in the upcoming election. Are the candidates attacking the person or the policies of the person?
@spalladino (17925)
Candidates have been attacking the person for eons, bob...both sides do it. If any candidate stuck strictly to the issues and policies he/she would automatically be put on the defensive since the opposition is most likely to be waging some kind of personal attacks, which cannot be ignored and left hanging in the air. No candidate for any office wants to be in that position. As far as Palin goes, I don't buy the notion that she threatens the status of those in power. As has been said many times in many venues, she is very divisive...too conservative...too far to the right in a country made up of right, left and middle. She also comes across as viewing anyone who doesn't believe as she does as the enemy and that turns folks off.
@bobmnu (8160)
If she is so far out of it why do the Democrats and the Liberal media have to keep attacking her. You do not attack an enemy who is no threat to you and she is a threat to them. She has come on to the national stage and shaken things up and forced changes in people's thinking. She is a top fundraiser, a top draw at a political gathering, and her endorsement is very important. She is invited by candidates, unlike the President who is asked not to come and don't talk about me because I want nothing to do with you. The media is obsessed with her and they are scared out of their minds because she is a threat to their establishment. We knew more about her in the first 2 weeks after her nomination than we know about the President now. Tom Brokow admitted it on Election evening when he said we have elected a President and we know almost nothing about him.
@spalladino (17925)
It seems that the words "attack" and "ridicule" are interchangeable when referring to Palin and I don't know where you're getting the enemy reference except, perhaps, from her. Yes, she has her base...the hard right conservative Republicans...but they are not the entirety of the Party. As a matter of fact, she is partially responsible for the division within the Republican Party, where moderates like myself are viewed as "the enemy" and endure attacks and name calling (RINO) because we don't toe the far right conservative line. Thinking for yourself is not permitted in the realm of conservative republicanism. The far left Democrats don't do that to the moderate ones who don't agree with them on all issues. I agree that she can draw crowds in select areas of the country. She keeps herself in the public eye...she is a celebrity much like Paris Hilton...but, again, she is unable to bring others to the table because she is so far to the right and there is no room for compromise.
@bobmnu (8160)
If you look at the History of this country you will see that the direction of the country is changed by out spoken people. Moderates on both sides were willing to compromise on Slavery and say we do not like it but this is all we can do and keep everyone happy. We did the same thing with Civil Rights we change this a little and modify this law. It takes someone to be outspoken and push the fight. Right now as I see it there is a fight between Free Market and Government Control of the economy. The TEA Parties are the protests against big government and government control of the economy.
@jb78000 (15173)
not sure. also not sure why she's so much admired by the other side. in both cases however it is almost certainly what she wants, she gets more attention than the actual leader of the republican party. i was only half joking a few weeks ago when i suggested that most people didn't even know who this was, or even if it had one. it is always obama and/or palin. not obama and wotsit.
@bobmnu (8160)
She has political clout and she is at least speaking out and saying what many people want to hear.
@LaurenInLA (2272)
Hate to pull out the woman card but I think that a woman who aspires to an office like this will always draw more criticism than a male who aspires to that kind of position. I don't honestly think that going to a small college had anything to do with it. Do we attack people rather than policies? I that is status quo for what we have allowed politics to evolve into today. Those in power have one motivation and that is to perpetuate themselves and to perpetuate their party. I think that we have gone far beyond the office seeker who really wants to do good for the country.
@bobmnu (8160)
The stratige is if you can't win on the issues attack the messenger. She is everything the liberals stand for except she does not beleive in their ideas of government control. Look at what she acheives and she is married, raised a family, raising a Disabled Child (which most of the liberals feel she should have gotten an abortion). And worst of all she and her family are so much like everyday americans. Their family income was the lowest of any major candidate and more in line with middle class America. On top of that she can speak and she is nice looking and very pleasnt.
@anniepa (27238)
Bob, You're a good friend and a reasonable guy so I think I can be blunt here; I resent the statement that "most" liberals feel Sarah should have had an abortion rather than give birth to a Down Syndrome child. I'd say "most" liberals - AND conservatives - that also happen to pro-choice believe everyone should have the choice in that heartbreaking situation. Each individual situation is unique and some of us don't believe we have the right to judge EITHER WAY what someone in that position which we've never been faced with does or doesn't do. I remember shortly after Sarah was introduced and her story told I posted here that I admired her for having had Trig. I'm not sure if "admire" was the exact word I used but it was close. Anyway, I was harshly criticized for "praising someone for not aborting her baby". Clearly this is a very touchy and sensitive issue but the way I feel is while I give her credit for what she's doing I also wouldn't have held it against her AT ALL if she'd done differently. Sarah's role as a mother has nothing to do with my opinion of her as a political figure. Annie
@Rollo1 (16686)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Smell the fear. Immediately they will snap back with a too-hearty laugh "the left isn't afraid of her" "no one takes her seriously" and "she's the one who keeps trying to get herself in the public eye". But the dismissive words are said in a breathy panic. They are desperate to keep people from taking her seriously, they are desperate to make the majority of Americans hate her as much as they do. Where do they attack? Sure, education - because just being a conservative should be enough to make you appear stupid, but it seems that not everyone realizes that. This is why the Tea Party must constantly be referred to as "rednecks" and why they intimate that Sarah Palin couldn't have cut it at another college, she had to go to a smaller institution. They're attacking Palin on the areas they wouldn't normally even consider admirable - motherhood, raising a special needs child, stability in marriage, having a large family, even her hunting and fishing ability. All of these and more are attacked in the Vanity Fair article by Michael Joseph Gross (notice three names, just like most assassins)as his "unnamed sources" regale us with stories about how Palin is a terrible wife, terrible mother and a terrible tipper (anonymous waitress). They attack in these areas because they perceive that the average American admires her for handling a large family, making tough decisions and also having successfully pursued a career. And yes, the attacks are spreading to other candidates and they are using the same tactics. They try to make them look stupid and far to the right of the average American. The problem is that the media haven't figured out the fact that most Americans are far to the right of the media, and definitely right of center. Let them attack the "outsiders". The American public is full to the teeth of the "insiders". The outsiders are the ones who are going to get elected.
@bobmnu (8160)
It seems that the media jumps on her every move and tries to find areas to criticize her. Then take a look at Michael Moore and the wild comments he makes on various issues and the majority of people just see him as a far left kook who is looking for publicity. When Gov Palin is attacked she gets more support. That is what makes her such a threat to some politicians.
@Adoniah (7515)
People tend to Hate first and think up reasons later when questioned, Why? Palin is Different. She would be disliked even if she was a man. They are attacking the Person not her politics or policies. She will always have an uphill road if she ever wants to make it in politics because of this. Shalom~Adoniah
@bobmnu (8160)
She is a force to be reckoned with. Look at those she endorses, many are winning because the people like her choices and dis like the status quo.
@goldeneagle (6775)
They don't like her because she is conservative and she has the guts to stand up and tell it like it is. They are scared that she is going to make them look bad if she is successful in office, and we all know that the democrats don't need anyone else making them look bad...they do a good enough job of making themselves look bad. They surely don't need any help...
@bobmnu (8160)
I agree.
@bestboy19 (5482)
I believe many on the left and in the media are afraid of her. If they didn't consider her a threat, they wouldn't be knocking themselves out trying to find fault with her.
@bobmnu (8160)
You attack the ones you are afraid of and ignore those who are no threat.