Placemat purses.....quick and easy project!

Placemat purse - Purse I quick put together for craft sale!
@jillhill (37384)
I made a few of these for my craft sale this weekend....so easy. You just buy the placemat...sew up the sides and across the bottom to make the bottom and add a handle....I am putting up a picture of one of them. Have you made any of these? Did they sell at your craft sale?
@carolbee (16241)
This is an amazing project. Great job! This is just an adorable purse and hope you sell tons. I wish you much success this weekend. Please post another discussion after the craft sale and let us know how these sold. I still say you are absolutely amazing.
@jillhill (37384)
THanks Carol and I sure will let you know how they sell...all you have to be is a beginner sewer and you can do this project!
@carolbee (16241)
I am below a beginner in the sewing department. I suck to be honest. Did you do it by machine or hand?
@jillhill (37384)
By machine.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
It looks wonderful and I think that even I could do this one. Haven't sewn in years but I was reasonably proficient as I did make my wedding and bridesmaid's dresses. I hope that I am not being intrusive but what kind of profit do you make. about 100% If yo are not comfortable answering this publicly then perhaps you would kindly consider sending me a pm. Blessings
@jillhill (37384)
It depends on how much you spend for the placemat and handle. My sister gave me a bunch of handles that she got on clearance.....and the placemats I also got on clearance...about 75% mark up I think...something like that....I also bought purse organizers to go inside but I am selling them seperately.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Thank you for the info. I have to do something to earn extra money if my boss sacks me. I am only half joking as he sometimes terrorizes me sometimes. I always like to have a plan B in place.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Jill, I had to swing by and check this out. I can't believe that was a place mat, it looks really good..You did a wonderful job, I am sure you will sell many at your next craft show..:) In fact, if you start now, you can make really cute Christmas ones..:)
@jillhill (37384)
That's what I am waiting for...so far haven't seen any Christmas placemats but I am sure they will be popping up soon!
What? Really? I guess you wouldn't and too bad you don't live closer, I am sure I have Christmas place mats here somewhere that I never used..
• Grand Junction, Colorado
That's truly amazing looks very simple to do, yet not to simple to carry. Just curious what exactly is "placement"? I'm assuming your using a sewing machine to sew the sides and the bottom. Does the place ment already come with the handle holes and metal attached? Is this like a complete project that comes in a bag and you put it together? How much would something like this sell for at a crafts fair? It's really a nice purse, great job. I'm really interested in knowing more about this craft.
@jillhill (37384)
A placemat is found in the dish towel department...or kitchen department. I set the grommets..and used clip rings to attach the handle...It is not a project that comes in a bag....you start from scratch.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
Oh like a placemat? Something you set at the dinner table? It really looks amazing. I had no idea you could make something like that out of a placemat. I love learning new things. Great job, much luck to you at your craft fair.
@KrauseHome (35026)
These are cool. Did you use a Sew machine or what for the sides? Did you buy the handles in the craft section of a store? These do look quite interesting, and since I Love making different types of purses for my Craft shows and such this actually might be something I might decide to experiment with myself.
@jillhill (37384)
Yes....I got the handles at JoAnn's.....and then the placemats...but you sew the bottom too....easy and quick...and so cute!
@carolscash (9501)
This sounds like a neat idea. I wish I had a sewing machine as I could do so much more stuff like this if I knew how to sew. I think that my daughters would really like these. Do you sell them onine? I might be interested in a couple later on.
@jillhill (37384)
I don't.....I only sell them at craft sales and by special order. But thanks for the interest. They are quick and easy..
@venshida (4837)
The bag is really nice. You did a good job.
@jillhill (37384)
Thanks so much!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
What a neat idea, Jill. Hope u sell a bunch of them.
@jillhill (37384)
Me too! LOL
That is such a good idea. And it looks incredible.
@jillhill (37384)
Thanks!
@Opal26 (17691)
That is really incredible! I would never have known that was a placemat! It is very pretty and I like the handles. You are the "Craft Queen" in my book! You make all these projects sound so easy. And I also loved the cards too, but I know that those definitely take alot of time. Don't know where you get the energy! lol
@jillhill (37384)
REally I don't watch alot of tv....so use my time for doing things like this...and this one is really easy. The cards are actually more time consuming!
I've seen quilt purses before and those are usually one of a kind. I like your idea of placemat purses. I'm a guy so buying one won't be in my future but I think you have a really great one of kind thing going there. Good luck!
@jillhill (37384)
Thank you!
How lovely I just left a comment directly at the picture. You are very creative friend, imagine how much more you can do with other patterns. Nice work!
@jillhill (37384)
Thanks you!
@cher913 (25893)
i actually saw a rag rugs at a garage sale that someone had made out of those rugs that you can get at the dollar store. it looked sorta neat.
@jillhill (37384)
Cool!
Jill, that is soooo adorable! You come up with the best idea's for sure. I don't sew well but that looks like something I might be able to do. How did you attach the handle and what is it made of? It's so cute! You are just the best, lol! Good luck at your craft show and I hope you make lots of money!
@jillhill (37384)
THanks....you can attach them in different ways....I got a grommet setter then some snap rings to attach the handle...you aren't going to believe how easy they are!