If you can cancel one festival, what is it?

Guangzhou, China
Perhaps I want to cancel the Teacher's Day. Nowadays I think this festival brings heavy pressure to the parents. It seems that this festival is a good chance for teachers to receive gifts. I think the teachers shall be honest and try the best to teach students. The education should not become to be a profitable department.
@ajithlal (14568)
One of the toughest question to answer. I would prefer to cancel the strikes. I think the strikes prevent the students from going to schools and colleges. I think there should be classes in some festivals and other days and the holidays on festivals should be limited that the portions of the teaching can be covered without any problem. I also agree that education should not become a profitable thing.
Nobody will like the strikes. If things don't go so bad, people won't go to have the strikes.
@tigeraunt (6331)
dear youless, id like the "remembering of the martial law" be taken off. why would i like to remember it when i know it was the cause of the start of human abuses and the removal of our personal rights? I prefer being free from military distatorship. ann
It is a nice idea.
@qianyun6 (2069)
Hi, youless! I hope I won't offend you, but I don't agree with you on this point... Even the Teacher's Day had been canceled, other festivals would be "good days" to send teachers gifts. Parents give teachers gift because they except the teacher will pay more attention to their child. If you don't have this exception, you can do nothing without any problem. Actually I think our Chinese parents have exaggerated the teachers' effect too much. They think if the teachers pay more attention to my child, my child must be better than others. I think the fact is not like that.
If you are a parent and when you see other parents give gifts to the teachers, will you be nervous? Even if I don't expect the teacher will pay more attention to my child, but will he have a different treatment since I don't give the teachers anything when other parents give the teachers presents?
youless the teachers should be paid enouogh that they do not need gifts and they should teach because they love helping children learn and not to make a huge fortune. but again teachers are like all of us they have bills and must feed,house and clothe their family just like the rest of us.They should not be treated like ministers as they are the people who will mould your kids minds and you want teachers who are paid a living wage so they do not have to worry about where the next meal is coming from.they can then devote themselves to teac hing your children.
In fact today here the teachers have good salaries than before. And everything is good for them already. So I think it is really not necessary for them to get anything from the students and their parents.
• Marion, Kansas
I would cancel New Year's Eve celebrations. Where I come from it seems to just be an excuse to do a lot of heavy drinking.
@zandi458 (27954)
I agree with you that teachers day should be scrapped. Not that we don't appreciate the services of the teachers but each time when the day comes my kid will pressure me to buy presents for her teachers. If she has five teachers than I have to fork out money to buy five presents for her teachers.
You are right. This is how our parents feel. It gives all of us the pressure.