What is the dictum now for common courtesy?

@eileenleyva (10964)
Time was, there's a proper way of introducing people to each other, depending upon the age and stature in life. Last night though, at a restaurant, my daughter's Accounting professor sat two tables away from us when my daughter saw him. So my daughter stood up and approached him to acknowledge his presence. He chose to stand up and meet me and my other daughter. But I just sat on my chair and said hello. I suppose I couldn't make up my mind whether to be as courteous because I was looking at a young man with gelled, spiked hair and tight fitting black shirt and pantaloons. My daughter looked more teacher like than her prof. Oh well! But I did ask him if he cared to join us. He politely said no because he has a friend with him. Oh well, I guess even professors are allowed to look hype and in.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya eileen, I would just take him as I find him not that I would not be a bit put out. But then I have seen a couple of teachers that are like that too. Nothing really unusual it´s how they teach that matters well it would matter more to me anyhow.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i THINK TEACHERS, COACHES ETC. SHOULD SET A BETTER Example myself. I f ge goes to claases like that he should be talked to. We have some of the same here in all the schools. They are professionals & should look the part.
@nangisha (3504)
Hi eileenleyva!. I think I prefer my professor to look more trendy and young. Because its make them more approachable, so its will more easy to talk to them if you don't understand the subject because you will feel them like matured friend. I think thats why your daughter wiling to approach him too.
he he of course college professors g et to dress in grungies when relaxing. Your daughter should have introduced him to you as she knew him but I am not u p on the common courtesy thing for introducing people. And too if I had seen a young man with spiked gelled hair in pantaloons I would also have stared. You did alright as I pelieve manners state a man stands to introduce himself to a woman who remains seated.I was thinking about what you said when a while back I saw my doctor whom I have had for years. walking across Larwin Square in a worn t shirt and tan shorts, his bald head gleaming in the sun. All the times I have seen him he was inpeccably dressed in black trowsers and the inevitable white doctor coat.
Eileen, I think it could be looked at either way. Since you are the older person, and female, he should have come to meet you. Going on position, since he is the teacher, it could be you would be expected to defer to him. I still think, however, that you being a lady and older, it is more appropriate he rise to greet you.