Do you feel bad for oveweight people?

I mean those people who you see in the super market with junk food in thier carts. Eating big plates of food in restarants or like I saw a huge man sitting on a bus with a super sized meal and soda. I strugled with my weight for years. I even got ot the point I did gastric bypass. But,I see people who have no real reason for being in the shape they are in. I can still gain weight being I have graves disease which causes weight gain. I am off the weight gaining mental meds thank god. But,there is a lot people can do to help themselves.
I try not to judge people, but, yes, you can definitely tell why some people are overweight. Even if you have a health condition, like I do, and struggle with your weight, eating unhealthily and not exercising will make it much, much worse! So, you still have some control over your weight and health even if you have something that will make it hard or almost impossible to lose weight. You don't have to make it worse. But, it's their body, so I don't really think about it.
• Marion, Kansas
Mostly, I believe that is where I am as well. I can see what they are doing, but it is their body. My own family members make some of these same mistakes, and I do from time to time. I am hopefully beginning to make it better.
All it takesis a try to turn things around. I am talking about people I know who are doing nothing to help themselves. I can see it your way as well.
@cher913 (25893)
no not really. i would say that 90 % of people have gotten there by their own hand but i do know a lady who has thyroid issues and that is why she is quite large.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I do not judge them. What would you think if you saw a skinny person with the same items? I have had friends that barely ate, that was big. My son gains because of the meds he is on and the fact he is confined to his chair, yet his favorite food is a salad. As you said, you have been there. You know how hard it is to be a bigger person. I don't want people inspecting what is on my plate, and to each their own.
@sid556 (31006)
I was always underweight and could eat tons of food and not only did I not gain...I lost. I struggled to maintain 100 pounds!!! Then I got older and i got on some meds that actually caused me to gain some weight. At first I was very happy with it but then I gained more than I had anticipated. Trust me...I quickly saw the other side. Losing is just as hard as gaining!! It may not be as common to have to gain weight but it is equally as difficult! I don't judge anyone for superficial reasons and weight is superficial. We don't know why they are overweight and it isn't our problem. for all we know they are buying the food for someone else. I don't eat fast foods but maybe once or twice a year but I go there often for other people. It's pretty simple...mind your own business and don't judge.
I took meds before that caused me to gain a lot of weight. It is so hard to get it off for real. I did buy a treadmill and walked on it as well as doing my dvd's. I know personallly some people who just sit dwn and eat all day and complain about how bad smaller people look in their clothing. Even after losing the weight i lost I still have to feel the way I do being some people are not tryng to help themselves. I am eating salads more and find I like them. Your son is smart to like them as well.
@djbtol (5500)
To not judge them is huge. Thank you.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I do but not in a judgmental way but in a way of knowing that if they are not experiencing health pain and problems now, they will if they continue to be that size. I have seen friends and family struggle with something as simple as walking and as one who like to be active,I can't imagine what it would be like to not even be able to walk without pain.
The pain aone is enough to get up and do something about it. I would cry when I had to walk down the street. The doctor gave me shots in my feet once. Just for me to make it home. I knew then it was going ot kill me if I did not do something. I was a a cook out recently and all the big big people had plate after plate of food. When I went and made my little plate you should see how they looked at me. I felt bad and soon left.
Oh reverse judging? That is as bad as judging someone who is fat when someone judges one for not eating a lot. I mean I take it these same people are ones who knew you before? They should realize that you don't want to go back to that painful existence. If not, they are not your friends..
@Andyvil (793)
I don't feel bad for those overweight people since it is their choice to be overweight. I mean most of these people who eat too much and don't exercise know that they will be overweight if they continue to do what they are doing. So if they don't feel bad about themselves then I see no point in feeling bad for them.
@djbtol (5500)
Maybe the starting point is to release those who are not obese from any obligation to feel bad for those who are obese. Those who are not obese certainly have their own life issues to deal with, so it is not reasonable for them to have any more concern for an obese person, than they would for a person with a different kind of life problem.
@offkey (313)
I do feel bad for some, I know people who don't over eat and are very active and just cannot lose the weight, for people like that I do feel bad for them because they are doing something to try and better their health. I think some just need a little extra help, especially if they are emotional eaters. It is hard to feel bad for someone that eats unhealthy and doesn't exercise or try do anything about their weight, yet complain about not being able to do anything about their weight even though what they are doing is nothing.
Yeah i feel bad for some of them if they want to lose weight and find it hard they have to find out why they put on so much weight if it is just over eating and exercising or medical reasons or a mix of both, I really feel for kids of over weight parents who force the food in to the kids becuase its the way they eat not alot of fresh foods and they do not go out to do things becsuse they can't so the kids get fat and its not thier fault its so sad.
@sedel1027 (17855)
I do and I don't. I know some people can not control how they look. They caneat veggies all day and work out all they want and they still look the same. However, there are folks that love to eat, those people I have no sympathy for.
That i cna truly understand as well. Like my friends mom who has two fridges in her tight kitchen and stay wishing she could lose weight.
When I see overweight people walking on the streets, I do feel bad for them because I can see that it really is a strain for them walking or when it's hard for them to squeeze into a crowded public transport. There are a lot of health risks associated with obesity and for some it's their choice to be that way. They can always start to curb their appetite when they want to lose weight. But some people have medical conditions that make them overweight. It's really hard to judge because we don't know what they're going through or how their lives are. I just try to stick to my own weight-watching. :)
I am happy sticking to mine a well.
i dont feel bad for all overweight people,what i mean is if you where born like that and always had prob with it even if you tried to lose weight but could not i feel sorry for them.i dont feel sorry for people who eat what ever when ever and then complain they are getting fat it is there fault they need to stop eating so much.but if people cant help it it is understandable but i have seen this one guy in the store on one of those wheel chair carts because he was so big he could not hardly walk but he was getting noting but chips candy soda ice cream and i am not lying about this i could not beleave it how someone could eat there selves to this.
I can really lose my self in thought when I see shopping carts full of crap like that. I was watching this lady walk down the street her childsbag of chips fell to the ground and she got it back for the whining child. Then we ended up in the same office building that day. Would you believe another lady had a bag of dry cereal and fruit forher child. it is a sad situation when parents make thier kids fat too.
• Marion, Kansas
It is not my place to judge others about their weight. It is hard not to, though.When I go to a buffet type restaurant, I always notice that many of the people there are very large. Often they have to use a cane to walk around with. I know that they are hurting because of their weight, and I am trying not to get there. That is why I do not do fast foods at all, and we have really cut back on eating out.That is why I am trying to put more movement in my lifestyle. I also notice that it is often people who are very overweight who use the electric carts in the stores. I wonder if they are unable to walk, because of their weight, or if they have gained a lot of weight because they cannot walk. I feel sorry for people who cannot walk, whatever their size, and I am trying not to go there, either.
I can understand how you feel being I could not walk before and know the pain.
@ElicBxn (60771)
my insurance doesn't cover gastric bypass, but I have seen people who have to know that the reason they are overweight is the huge plates of food they eat oh well, nobody made me eat that piece of candy either...
I am sitting here eating jelly beans.
@jonnifc (1021)
I don't look down on them and judge them for being overweight. Because there are so many reasons why people become overweight. And some people are just mildly over their ideal body weight so that's okay. I feel bad when it's obvious that the person is not comfortable with his weight. I see some overweight people who seem so tired, unhappy and sullen. I see this mostly on obese persons. When it's obvious that a person's weight is not good for them, then that's something to feel bad about. It's even worse if you see them not eating healthy.
Like the people I see eating super sized meals at the fast food places make me sick. I can't take it and thank god I don't buy burgers and things anymore. It took a life style change for me to get my self healthy. I know people who had surgery and gained back all the weight not caring about anything but eating junk.
@CTHanum (8254)
when i see them it will always remind me not to be so and it such an advice to me to stay healthy and have a good diet so i don't have to be that one.same goes when i see the skinny people.i will say to myself that i am not going to that way too.it's a great reminder and example to me to not to be like them.
@cream97 (29169)
I don't feel bad for overweight people at all. If they don't want to get rid of the weight, then I can't feel sorry for them. If they want to lose the weight, then they should stop eating just about anything. I saw a man that was as big as a hog. All I could see was skin and fatness. It was just terrible. I give my praise for overweight people that want to lose weight. If they are trying then that is great. If not then, it is very sad.
Being that I am overweight, there are a lot of times that I do feel sorry for people that are more obese than I am. I think that it does make a difference knowing that I can try and succeed in losing some weight, but there are also the pounds that refuse to come off and those are the ones that really bother. Now, it does make me agitated to see someone that is overweight and that is eating more food than a person should eat in a day at a single meal because those are the people that give overweight people a bad name.
@djbtol (5500)
About those obese people. To some, it may seem like judgment is the obvious response and there is no reason to feel bad for the obese person. I would suggest first that those who are not obese should not be placed under some kind of obligation to feel bad for those who are obese. Those feelings are not real if they are driven by a sense of guilt or duty. A good starting point is to adopt a non-judgemental attitude towards the obese person. This would be kind of like "to each his own" or "live and let live". If a non-obese person has the mind to there is a second step, and that is to have some understanding. Is it not quite possible that the obese person knows their condition and are already judging themselves? Is it not possible that they truly wish that they were different and could change their life? The answer to both of those questions is yes. The next thought of the non-obese person is obviously about why they do not do something about it. No one is making the person eat as they do. No one is preventing them from seeking the best diet and changing their lifestyle. But those who are not obese have no idea of the hold this condition has on a person. The overeating is tied into so much of who the person is. The overeating is at the same time a source of strength and coping for the person, as well as a mighty destructive force in their lives. Not only is their a tendency for such people to be judged, but our society often discriminates against the obese in social and job related situations. It is a tough road for the obese, but not necessarily tougher than many other situations people must deal with. Obviously the responsibility belongs to the obese person, but they may need significant help to overcome and change. djbtol
@suspenseful (40316)
Who I feel bad for are those overweght people who put healthy choices in their shopping carts and are still fat. It must be terrible to not see any results. I feel a bit unsympathetic if they keep eating the wrong food. I do realize that fruits and vegetables may be a bit costly but they could maybe substitute a carrot for some chips and go from there. Also cutting out the sugar and bad carbs would help, but it would not be nice for me to tell them to get rid of their junk food in the basket unless they ask me,
I don't necessarily feel bad for them, but I do feel kind of like, "Maybe you shouldn't eat that..." kind of thing. I would feel the same if I saw a skinny person eating anything unhealthy too, though. The point is health. Everyone needs to watch their health, whether you're fat or skinny. Eventually you will get to the weight you're suppose to be at. So I do I feel BAD for fat people? Not really, unless they're on a medication that causes them to gain a lot of weight, like Depakote, then that just is a really bad situation. But am I concerned for their health when I see them eating those things? YES.
@IoanaBI (494)
If they don't want they dont do anything to stop the weight growing! It is only their choise! As i heard a recepy for loosing wheight i will share it with you " eat a salad, fruits, vegetables, or instead of 10 snack only 9" In time there will be some changes!
I don't feel bad for them, I PITY THEM. =)) I understand why other people are like that, but they also have to make sure that they still have a healthy body. I'm slim but I'm happy with what I have right now. At least I'm in good health. :)