Should I feel bad moving in bags instead of boxes?

As you know I was due to move out since July. Something happened every month causing me to stay even longer. Now I unpacked my stuff and got rid of the boxes thinking I was not moving because my papaer work was lost. The landlord called and got the commissiner to help him with me getting in the unit. Well I am moving on the first and I have not a lot of boxes left. I have a lot of bags and tape. I am going to wait for the last minute and bag up what I can and tape all around these bags. i am so tired of seeing boxes its not funny I part of me feels it is not good to wait and use bags though. They won't be all that heavy for the movier to lift though.
@sedel1027 (17854)
You should call the movers and find out if they will move your things in bags. I would be very concerned about my items getting damaged. You should be able to get boxes from grocery stores and other places.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I agree with sedel, you should call the movers, professional movers in my area won't move things that are not boxed up. The reason they don't want to be responsible for damage to your belongings. Bags don't stack well either. Not sure if your movers are only moving your things or not, but some moving companies move multiple households at a time and need to be able to stack things, they also need to be able to secure things with rope, I don't think bags can be secured.
I don't know who is moving me till the day I move. social services is paying to move me so I have to go with the company they choose to do it. I will do what I can about getting more boxes. The clothes I will just bag up. Thanks
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I would call social services and ask for a list of possible movers they may use and call a few and determine what they expect. If you call 3 out of 4 that say that bags are a problem then you know what to expect and can make the necassary arangments t get a hold of some boxes. Also boxes colapse and take up much less room, they can be stored in the back of a closet, under the bed, etc....
@payout (3722)
No, yes i moved in boxes and part of it was in bags you can put your close in bags if not you can put some in a suit case if you have some. But to be honest I think most people move with bags and some boxes because the obey time you see people move with boxes only is usually in movies i don't know I'm just speaking out of my self knowledge and what I think people move out with. Honestly I don't think people are going to make fun of you or talk bad because you use bags haha
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I agree that most people probably do use some bags when moving, however I think that professional movers due to liability will require boxes for the most part. Most people who move themselves use a variety of item, as suggested suitcases, hampers, clothes baskets, crates etc... these can all be utilized to not have wated space when moving. So maybe packing towels or clothing items may work for the movers, but ther items such as bathroom stuff is probably not going to work. Again I would suggest contacting the movers. Most movers also give labels to you to attach to boxes, such as what room something goes in or to identify if it's fragile or not.
Plus I have to get rid of any and all boxes after I move and that won't be easy for me cutting them down and all. I will see about this..
@carmelanirel (20979)
No, if anything the bags will take up less space..But be careful, anything in a bag can get damaged..
it will not be anything more than soft stuff in the bags. The hard stuff I will find some boxes for. Like my dishes and glasses.
That's good..So, when is the big day, the end of this month? You have been talking about it for so long, I can't remember now..lol
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I moved in with my husband with just maybe three bags, a laundry hamper full of clothes and stuff, a laundry basket, and a fan. Of course this wasn't professional, and I didn't have very many things. I don't think it would really matter to the movers, who knows what kind of packing job others have done, if any at all. Don't worry about it, as long as you secure your fragiles, all would be fine.
I am looking at my flat screen tv thinking how will I wrap this one up.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I would suggest bubble wrap for the TV, you can get this at a moving supply store. The other thing that I have done when moving is either moving the TV in my vehicle or wrapping it in moving blankets. Another great question for a moving company. When your relying on a company it's always best to go by what they recommend so that your not stuck with a broken TV at the end of the move. Most companies wont except liability if they told you an item had to be packed a certain way, or they could even refuse to move certain items due to being packed incorrectly.
@sid556 (31005)
When I moved, I used boxes, bags and some things were just carried up by hand ...who cares? Gifts...whatever works for you. you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks. Why would you?
@cream97 (29166)
No. If this is what you will have to use to pack your things into, then so be it! If they are not all that heavy then do what is best for you. I remember when I used to move, I had so many bags that has my things in it. It was very stressful. If you have everything packed, then that is very good. I am glad that your landlord got into touch with the commissioner just so that you could be able to be in your apartment by the first of the month. I hope that you will enjoy your new apartment next month!
@iowachap (100)
Use whatever you have access too and that is cheapest/able to afford. Nothing wrong with it, just might not be easier as with boxes they can stack em on a dolly, bags you will literally have to carry. But if it works, then do not feel bad, you are doing what you can. If you need cheap boxes, you can check local stores on when they get deliveries and go there before they put the cardboard into the bin that crushes them. Sometimes you might get lucky. Hopefully all will go well with your move.. moving is never fun, well that is until you get to your new place and figure out where things will go.. packing is the worst part along with the going back and forth if it takes more than one trip. Good luck.. invite lots of friends over, or if you can afford it, check out the Uhaul page they have listed little companies that can help move. I got these 2 younger guys that were a great help they were Christian, they did accidently break the hose connection off our fairly new washing machine, but they told me right away and said they would be willing to pay for the damages, what we ended up doing was I actually ended up needing them a bit longer they helped do a little more moving and that basically covered it. They were super nice and I bought them lunch and gave them a tip just because of how nice they were and they did do a good job.
@gdesjardin (1938)
You can go to places like Dollar General, Family Dollar, grocery stores. They all have boxes and usually they will gladly give them to you. When we made our last move my husband went to the Dollar General and got all the boxes we needed from them for free. We move around alot and going to U-Haul to buy boxes gets very expensive. We had a friend tell us about going to the stores to get boxes for free. They are still in great shape because they break all the boxes done and usually the stores will gladly give them to you because it takes up too much room in their dumpsters. Good luck moving!
Not at all. I always use more bags to move than boxes. I can't stand having a bunch of empty boxes to get rid of after a move! I usually just pack my dishes, electronics, can foods and ornaments in boxes. Everything else, clothing, bedding, towels ect go into bags and anything else i can get into a bag without it ripping!
@sender621 (14956)
When we pack our belongings to move, it shouldn;t matter what we use. Packing a bag instead of a box is just as good of a choice. Asl long as your belongings arrive safely to your new destination, it is a happy moment.
@paula27661 (15899)
It is fine to use bags instead of boxes, you just have to be careful that breakables are packed properly, that would be the only disadvantage otherwise it doesn’t really matter what you pack all your gear in as long as you can find everything again when you arrive at your destination!
I dont really think it makes a difference what you pack your items in as long as you can deal with it and find what you need when you move into your new place than all is good...as for the movers i wouldnt worry thats what movers get paid for and I am sure they have probably seen worse...
Lots of people move in bags. It is often easier to fit them in places. If you undo them carefully, you have trash bags when you are done. Often, around here, we get boxes from the dumpsters at liqu or stores for moving.
This sounds like it has been one whirl wind spin for you so I would agree with you to move in which way is most easier and most comfortable for you. I see you were concerned about your flat screen TV, do not add any additional expenses so get some of your old fluffy blankets and wrap it really well. Doubling if possible then apply the tape around it. I am glad you finally go the okay for the unit. Take care and hope it all goes smooth.
@dodo19 (33604)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I don't think that you should. I have moved things in bags instead of boxes. I don't think it's such a huge issue. I don't think that we have to move things in only boxes. We can move things in whatever we want.
bags are good too.