Do you answer your phone while haivng dinner with the family?

I am talking to those who sit down to eat at the table with their family. Not like me and my daughter we eat when we feel like it or are hungry. LOL I was watching tv and saw they did not pick up the phone during dinner time. Which I think was a great thing. They let the family time come first and left the outside world outside.
When I'm having dinner with my family, I don't answer my cell phone at the table at all. Though when it's just me and my dad eating, I text message while eating. Of course sometimes my dad gives me a bad look or makes fun of me texting so much, but he doesn't stop me.
My mother gets mad when we be testing in her house. I guess it makes her feel left out. I say get with it girl and text too. LOL
Lol, seriously. It's not that hard to learn how to text so she should get with it and start texting.
your so funny and your so right too.
@sedel1027 (17855)
No, we don't answer our phones when we sit down to eat dinner. Dinner around here usually doesn't last long - maybe 20 minutes to actually eat - not a big deal to miss a phone call or text. When did you get your TV back, I thought you canceled it?
I canceled the cable and bought anantenna afew months ago. So now I watch t in my bed room.
@chaitra001 (3278)
• Bangalore, India
Hi, I dont recive calls when I am having lunch with colleagues or dinner with family or when I am out with family for a picnic or movie then also I wont pick call.. I pick untill and unless its very important call that I might be waiting for or from my parents.. if my parents calls me casually then I will say them I will call them back later..
That really makes the dinner time more special. Conversating over the day and getting into the food and enjoying it. I like that.
@advokatku (4037)
answering phone calls when eating is very annoying because can destructive appetites eat, so I really avoid it. And I'm also very annoyed to see people who answer the phone when he was eating. To me, that's not polite
yes I can see one losing thier appetite after talking on the phone. Or forgettting how much they ate and over eat at that.
Yes I am. In our family it's not a big deal to talk to someone while in dinner. I know there some that have this etiquette on table manners.
I would really not answer my phone if I were dining with friends or other family eating over my house.
@CTHanum (8254)
i have my cellphone with me if we eating outside but i don't prefer to answer the calls if its not important.most of the time there are messages in my inbox so i just let it and will look at it after having the dinner.but if the home phone ringing when we are having our dinner at home then it is absolutely a must answered calls.it must be an important calls.
For the most part I will say that I don't answer the telephone when it rings during dinner. However, there are times that it is someone like my mother that is calling or my husband's parents that are calling and in those situations we will answer the phone because it could be that something has happened to someone in our family and we don't want to not be there for members of our family if there is a time that they need us.
@lkbooi (16101)
Hi giftsandbagscom, I always place my cellphone aside while having dinner with my family. My son works in another state whereas my nephew works in an adjacent country and they might call me at anytime. I don't want to miss their call and call them back later. Therefore I always bring my phone along. They usually come back to hometime in respective time There is only one occasion which I feel relaxed to stay away from my cellphone. Yeah, it's during chinese new year eve evening. That is the time all the members of our family, including my son and his cousin will be having the reunion dinner together with us pleasantly at home Happy posting
no.. i'm not cause if i answer my phone i think it is showing a bad manner.. cause i think food is a grace to us.. so ,, we need to respect the food ,,,and i never answer my phone cause my parents will get angry to me,,,,,
good afternoon...ma'am sometimes i answer my phone while eating..together with my family..
Sometimes when I saw that the one who is calling is a very important person or a professional. But most of the time when only my friends are calling i did't answer it, the after eating i will text them, and ask them why they are calling.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me it depends the situation if how it is very important either patient that are very sick or something special for me I will answer while in the table for the dinner.
@kukueye (1761)
For me i already seldom eat with parents because of different timing coming back from home and traffic, and the old parents need to eat on time because on medication and gastric stomach and such. However , if i am with own family i will see the caller identification before answering. If sms i will read it glance throught it.Sometime i mute and put it on vibration mode.
@kjones505 (273)
Yes I answer the phone during dinner. I never understood why people considered it an annoyance. It doesn't bother me at all. Most of the time its someone from my job that needs help with something.
@sid556 (31005)
Hi there gifts, My daughter and I are really laid back like you and your daughter. Sometimes we eat together and other times on the run...we really don't have a routine set in stone. I make sure that there is food and we eat when we eat...it's all open to circumstance and no one ever goes hungry. Don't know what else to say on that one. What I will add is that no matter what is going on...whether I am having dinner with a friend or my daughter or simply visiting...I do NOT pick up the phone. I have caller ID and an answering machine as well. My kids come first of course...I always pick up the phone for them but other than that ....NO!! I do have a friend that gets irritated when I don't pick up my phone ...I just tell him the honest truth...If i have friends or family here then he best convince me on my ansering machine to pick up or else I just ignore. I always call him back later when I am alone and have time. I'd do the same for him if he were sitting here in my apartment. It's called respect.
Oh my, I would definately never do that. Family time is barely had anymore! At least keep the technology out while you eat.
@amg5009 (62)
I am guilty of answering my phone often when it comes to eating dinner with the family. Sometimes I will ignore it if it is someone I do not want to talk to or is not an important phone call. My family does not mind me doing this because they do it as well, but my boyfriend hates when I answer my phone when we are eating, yet he can watch TV while we are eating and I'm not supposed to get annoyed.
Do I answer my phone while having dinner with my family? Of course i do. I don't think there is anything gross or offending when you answer a phone call. I usually carry my cellphone in my pocket even if i'm at home. I would not want to miss out on any important call, besides many people these days connect with each other using phone, it's more like a mini computer and as addictive too. I don't see anything wrong with answering call while having dinner. It all depends upon one's perception. Usually, the ultra high class families abide by such so called etiquettes, for whom talking or coughing at the dining table would be a grave crime.
@sender621 (14956)
When the phone rings at dinner time i usually let the answering machine pick up the call. i will interrupt if the phone call turns out to be something vital. otherwise the calller will just have to wait until dinner is over to be called back.
@ElicBxn (60884)
When I was a kid with my parents, we all sat down together. I think if you have a family, that this is an important bonding time, granted, if the phone rang, we'd answer it, this was before the days of answering machines after all, but if it were a friend, we'd tell them we'd call back. I think I can count on one hand the number of phone calls that were allowed to actually interrupt a meal...