Why did my microwave just blow out on me?

United States
September 24, 2010 4:42pm CST
I just went to heat up some coffee and my microwave started to smoke and make loud noise. This was not the first time I heated up a liquid in the microwave. I had it just over a year could it just be time to buy a new one? My sister bought me that for Christmas and a housewarming gift. I am so mad now being I was taking it to my new place next week.
3 people like this
5 responses
• Spain
24 Sep 10
Hiya gifts, My Son´s computer blew up on him and the Shop does not want to know. My Microwave has just gone kaput as well it won´t heat and that means it´s cheaper to buy another one instead of trying to repair it. I won´t say the make of it but it seems that nothing is going to last two years let alone a lifetime like they say. It is maddening also as I could do with a new Fridge too.
• United States
25 Sep 10
Iam going to just toss it and live without one for while maybe around black fiday I can find one cheap.
• Spain
3 Oct 10
Hiya gifts, For me I can live without one too. But the other three here like to warm their Coffee and other things they bring home to eat so I was outvoted right from the start. Seems these Microwave Cookers have a limited life now depending on which one you buy and I don´t know which are the worst or the best in that sense. So we just bought one. I am grateful too very much so as I can warm up Dinners if needs be.
@cream97 (29179)
• United States
24 Sep 10
I don't know what to say. Maybe the fuse blew out. Maybe you can consult with the microwave company. And you can ask your sister about the warranty on your microwave too. Did she give you any paperwork about your microwaves specifications? I hope that you can get another microwave. I don't like when something that I need the most goes out on me.
1 person likes this
• United States
25 Sep 10
yes I got the entire box with the microwave. i will just get rid of this junk and live without one for a few months.
@wiccania (3362)
• United States
24 Sep 10
There are any number of reasons that the microwave went kaput on you. It really has nothing to do with the liquid you were heating, unless you left a spoon in the cup or something. If there was any metallic paint on the cup, or any dishes you often use in the microwave, that could be a contributing factor, causing a problem to slowly build. The most likely is the electrical system in the house/apartment it's plugged into. If there are issues that might be causing random surges, that can cause a malfunction on any electrical device. These days, microwaves can be bought for fairly cheap, compared to ten or so years ago. I think I paid $65 for the last one I bought brand new. It's annoying, but honestly, it's cheaper to get a new one than to have the old one repaired.
• United States
25 Sep 10
No there was no metal at all in the microwave. But a few days before we had problems with ockets not working and I had to plug other things into the socket using the micro wave plug. I am just tossing this one next week and moving on.
@bagputza (504)
• Belgium
25 Sep 10
And another time i have to salute you dear friend ( thats how i am ) woow dear friend you are really seem to bee in a verry unlucky period , the fact that your economical situation it is not in a great condition , now you had your microw&ave that is having a serios problem now , but i cannt really start to figure out why this has happenned , i mean i am always rehoting the cofee at the mmicrowaver too , and i had never oonce had such a problem as haing the microwave explode , i really hope that no one got hurt , maaybe the container you had been put in the coffee , maybe it had a fin and unseeable metal attached to it , thats the only reason i cann think of that could make your microwave explode , or maybe there was an extra powerfull charge or electricity that had broken your microwave. I wish that you find a way to fix it ( if its still fixable ) , and if you can't anymore , hope you cann find another one that is cheaper and at the same quality . I wish you once again a great day and a better week-end . Florin , Over and Out
• United States
25 Sep 10
I will not even try to fix this one. I did not have any metal in the microwave at all. The thing might have just lived it's last life.
@dorannmwin (36610)
• United States
27 Sep 10
I accidentally arched out my old microwave last year right before Thanksgiving. I had put a bowl in the microwave and didn't realize the fact that it had gold leafing on it. Anything that is metallic will cause a microwave to arch out and then it isn't good for anything any more. You will probably need to get a new microwave because it is cheaper to get a new one than to try to get the one that you already had fixed.