Do You Keep Watching?

Have you ever watched a tv series and fallen in love with the characters, only to have them killed off and/or replaced? Remember when they replaced Darren? Did you continue to watch the series or did you stop? Now, Bewitched was carried by the strength of the central characters, Samantha, Darren and Endora. Elizabeth Montgomery was adorable and Agnes Morehead wonderfully wicked. The strength of those two characters made up for the disappointment when D-ick York left the show and D-ick Sargent replaced him. But it's not always that way. Recently I got into "McLeod's Daughters" on Netflix. Lisa Chappell as Claire was a wonderfully strong character and my daughter and I loved the way the central characters played off each other. Third season they killed Claire, though. I tried watching it after that but just couldn't. It started getting weird fourth season and after two or three episodes, I gave up. Looking back, I can remember different series that killed off or just got rid of a favorite character. Sometimes I could watch beyond the loss of the character, mainly because there were other good, strong characters that made up for it. Other times, though, I stopped watching a show because of the loss of a character or actor. Remington Steele, for example, was never as good after Murphy Michaels (James Read) left the show and Star Trek:DS9 got increasingly difficult to watch after they killed Jadzia Dax. I remember being furious when Terry Farrell left the show. Jadzia and Worf had been so cute! I thrilled with the development of their unique relationship and was looking forward to the advent of their first child. But no! They had to kill her off instead. GRRRR. It took a while but I stopped watching soon after that. On the other hand, The Young Riders lost two very strong characters in Sam and Emma but the replacements, Noah and Rachel, were equal to the task of replacing them. Both the actors and the characters were excellent. What about your favorites? Do you have any shows that you have stopped watching after the cast changed? Any that you enjoyed as much? What were they?
@Fishmomma (11452)
I enjoyed Bewitched and when the first actor left the show because his bad back it was hard to adjust, but clearly a change had to be made. Its harder when the actor leaves and its not health reasons or their choice. My example is Dallas when the mother was replaced for a season because of money. The show ended up with lower ratings and they ended up paying her big money. They should have realized the older audience would tune out and support her getting paid a reasonable wage. Women really had trouble getting paid anything in the early years and still many get paid less for the same amount of time working.
Yes, I agree with you. I really have a lot of respect for D-ick York's talent. My daughter and I agree on our favorite episode of Bewitched. It's when Samantha is pregnant and Endora casts a spell on Darren to make him feel what it's like to be pregnant. D-ick York was so beautiful in that episode! We watch it over and over and still laugh out loud! It was so sad when he had to leave the show due to his health. I didn't really like D-ick Sargent as well but as I said before, the other cast members were such strong players that the new Darren just didn't make that much of a difference.
@Angelwriter (1956)
It depends on a lot of things. On Chicago Hope, my favorite character was Jeffrey Geiger, played by Mandy Patinkin. When he left, I was still interested in the show. Plus, since it was his choice, I didn't feel like he was pushed out. So, I kept watching. But, on The West Wing, my favorite character was Sam Seaborn, played by Rob Lowe. And, his departure had a whole lot of backstage stuff that soured me on the show, the creator, and most of the cast. Plus, I felt the exit he was given was so insulting that I couldn't stomach watching the show anymore. ER is kind of a special case. My favorite character was John Carter, played by Noah Wyle. But, by the time he left, I thought the show had gone downhill and I was only watching for him. So I was ready for him to leave so I wouldn't have any other excuse to stick with the show. Another show that I kept watching after my favorite actor left was Homicide. I liked Frank Pembleton, played by Andre Braugher. But, I liked the other characters, too. So it depends on whether I have any other reason to watch the show, and whether I feel the actor and/or character were treated unfairly in leaving.
Yeah, I hear ya there. While I've never really watched any of the shows you mention, I have shows of my own that the situations were all similar. My daughter and I enjoy NCIS but if Mark Harmon ever left, I doubt very much that we would continue with the show.
@romzz05 (573)
I'm a big fan of CSI so when they killed off warrick brown who is my second favorite character I was like oh man, and then Grissom resign. Oh well actors moved on.
@minx267 (14580)
• Hartford, Connecticut
I totally agree. I hate having my favorite characters killed off. And I was an avid DS9 watcher and Worf was always my favorite character (As a matter of fact I named my Dog K'Ehleyr after his first MATE) I was upset when K'Ehleyr was killed on TNG but she wasn't a regular although they could have worked her in and it would have been awesome. But I Loved the idea of Jadzia and Worf because I finally believed that they had found a female character tough enough to be Worf's mate... I also did not watch faithfully after they killed her off.. I caught the "replacement Dax" in repeats... She was cute but not Worf's Type.. it was hard to get into it. What I really hated was when CSI killed of Warrick - Besides William Peterson. Gary Dourdan Was my favorite Character.. and of course after they were both gone- I couldn't even watch anymore. Also I was an X-File ADDICT.. but when Mulder left, disappeared.. whatever... I could barely watch it anymore and eventually stopped.. I did go to Watch the movie in the theater when it came out though. The xfiles just couldn't be the same with out the main character.. How could it when you now had TWO Skeptics! Granted Dana had now seen enough to know it was fact but ... it wasn't the same. I know there are probably more I just can't think of at the moment.
Yes, I know what you mean. I never watched X files and am not familiar enough with the CSI characters(I watch it for the science) but I know just what you mean. When Zack on Bones went off and became the "Gormigon"'s "apprentice" we were really upset because he was so "adorkable" (as my daughter likes to say). We still watch Bones because, again, I enjoy the science, but it's not near as fun as when the whole gang was there. At least they bring Zack back from time to time as a guest so we don't miss him too much. DS9 was a special betrayal for me because I was in the throes of a major depression and watching Worf and Jadzia together was perhaps the only thing I really enjoyed at the time. So when they killed her, I was furious because they took the one thing that I was able to just sit back and chuckle to myself about. I understand that Terry Farrell didn't want them to kill her character, either. She "begged" them not to but they did anyway. So...why did they do it??? Do you know?
I remember watching bewitched when I was little. I dont remember now what changed. I was thinking it was a different samantha or a different little girl. I cant remember. I know that I didnt like the change but the show was so much fun that it worked anyway. If I really love the show at first I will hate the character change but I get used to it and continue to watch the show anyway.