Which do you prefer to own.....a flat or an independent house..?

In olden days only independent houses were there. But later the concept of flats came in existence.There are a number of advantages and disadvantages in flats and also independent houses.Let us consider the advantages and disadvantages of each category. Flats... .advantages and disadvantages: Flats are dwelling units built in a single structure.many families live there as if each flat is an independent house. All fecilities are provided.There is security.Many families live in flats.There is community living and mutual understanding and benefits.Many times help each other and also become friendly.They almost live like members of a single family.There may be exceptions.But a flat has no independent existence.You are owner of nether the floor nor the roof ...not even the side walls.Thus the you are the owner empty space.In case of any damage due to earth quake etc you become the owner of some undivided portion of the land.Many buildings are insured but what you get is nothing when compared to the ownership of a flat. Advantages of independent house:..You are the owner of the land and the super structure. you are on your own, and no inconvenience of any kind.The value appreciates even if the building becomes old because of the land.You are the owner of the floor, roof and side walls .You can cultivate a garden around and enjoy the beauty and relax.Kitchen garden can be a source of recreation and benefit.But independent house is not that secure as a flat.No doubt security fecilities are also provided in advance countries but not in underdeveloped or undeveloped countries.You cannot have interaction with others as much as in flats .Considering all the above which do you prefer ...flat or independent house...Why?
@inu1711 (5288)
I live in a flat. No. I rephrase: I've lived in a flat since I was born. That's why I dream to live in an independent house. I've had enough from the 'benefits' of living in a common building and I wish some day I'll be able to move into my new house. Actually we've already bought the land for the house of our dreams. We are waiting to pass the financial crisis we're going through, then we are going to start building our house.
You mean to say that you have had enough of living in a flat. That is because you never lived in an independent house.Once you start living you can know what life is there.I am also living in an independent house and earlier I lived in a flat. Because of my age I prefer flat where you need not strain much for upkeep.Wish you Happy time in independent house.
@inu1711 (5288)
You know you're right, chayapathys. I often think about how will we manage to do all the maintanance work for the independent house when we are old. But we will try to keep the flat also, and if we find we can't keep it up with all the work for the house (I know it may be hard when you're old, I can see that at my parents....) we will return on living in the flat we have. But for now, when we are stil young (sort of...), we would like to live in a house with a garden.
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
A house. I grew up in a house, so I have always wanted to have one when I start a family too.
Then you preference is independent house.I would say there are some benefits in living in a flat.
@abj163 (1038)
before 2 years my family was having same confusion about flat or independent house... my dad chose a flat and was planning to buy it but my mummy stopped him because she wasn't interested in living in flats as its not much friendly environment between neighbour there in flat if compared to independent house and we have lived in independent houses only so at that time my mummy chose to construct independent house and now we are a new house....we got shifted here before 1 year in august 2009....and now i think my mummy's decision was correct... happy mylotting
Therefore you agree with your mother and your choice is also independent house and you are happy living in independent house.But some people prefer flats. Hence the discussion. Let us hear what they have to say if they prefer flats .....
@pokumon (647)
I prefer a free standing house because I want to be able to be loud. I play piano and don't want to have to worry about someone knocking on my walls, ceiling or floor telling me to shut up. I also think that living in a flat comes with limited parking so it may be a problem when you want friends to come over. The only drawback I foresee is having to mow the lawn every week.
You have a reason for independent house to a flat.Like you every one has his or her own reason for preferring flat or independent house.Hence this discussion. Let us hear what others have to say ...