How do you handle presents at Christmas?

@asyria51 (2870)
My husband and i were discussing the way my parents versus his parents wrapped/didn't wrap presents, and things being from Santa. In my family, mom and dad gave us a present or two on Christmas eve, when we were opening presents from out of state relatives. Christmas morning, everything is wrapped and from Santa. My husbands family had presents from mom and dad accumulate in the week or so before christmas as they got them wrapped. The big item or two was from Santa, and was not wrapped, just had a bow and the child's name. What does you family do?
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
My husband and I do not yet have children, and we've not really discussed that I can recall, how we did our present openings. In my family, if I can remember correctly, We opened things on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I believe we opened things on Christmas Eve from my parents and Santa... and then we went to my dad's side I believe? and opened things there. Then at my mom's side on Christmas Day (I believe I forget though) we opened things from the rest of the family and Santa as well.
@asyria51 (2870)
My husband and I are lucky enough that neither of our parents separated or got divorced. it is harder to establish traditions when you are here there and everywhere on the holidays.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
My parents never married.. When I say my moms side vs my dads side I mean we went to my dad's mom's house to visit with family and get presents, then we went to my mom's mom's house to visit with family and get presents.
@asyria51 (2870)
ah!!! i get it. We don't have that problem because our families live 1500 miles apart.
@Raven7317 (693)
In my family, a small amount of gifts made their way under the tree, from various people, before Christmas. On X-Mas eve, we were allowed to pick ONE gift and open it. Chistmas morning, it was obvious that Santa had come and we got to open whatever we wanted. We were required to open each one slowly, noting who it was from - and to make appropriate remarks: "oh this is the one I wanted" or "this is great" so it wasn't a melee! Gifts were marked "M & D" from parents and "S" from Santa. For my own son, I put gifts under the tree that come in via mail (from out of state family and friends), and small gifts that we get for him. All are clearly marked to him from us... We do the 'santa visit' long after he's asleep, and Christmas morning, he goes to town! He's only 5 so we're still working on the melee of the situation, and he's being taught how to slow down and appreciate each gift! As he gets older, I plan on making more presents from mom and dad and less from Santa - to kind of phase out Santa!
@asyria51 (2870)
We still get presents from Santa on the years we at my parents for Christmas. This is the first year that my daughter will really pay attention to whether or not there are presents, and who knows, she is such a creature of habit, we may still have to sit on the couch have our milk and read a book before presents this year.
@IoanaBI (494)
Hello Asyria! The christmas gifts are allways from Santa and they were put under the tree in bags with his photo on it. These were the only gifts we received, and you can imagine what good children we were, to make sure that Santa does not forget about us.
@asyria51 (2870)
We were trying to establish some traditions now while our child is young enough that it is the way it is and always had been. We do have the added complication that we travel to Phoenix every other year to visit my in-laws.
We buy things for the children for Christmas and those gifts that are supposed to be from my husband and myself are wrapped up and have tags on them to the children with all of their nicknames on the tags. Then, under the tree on Christmas morning are the toys and such that are from Santa. Those toys that are from Santa are both arranged in piles for each of the two children. This is a tradition that we've carried forward from the time that I was a child.
@pastigger (618)
When I was growing up the big present was from Santa and there were other presents under the tree from mom and dad. We always put the tree up Dec 15th as to celebrate my grandma's birthday. As we got gifts we wrapped them and put them under the tree. I used to love rearranging the presents every few days, it was my favorite thing to do. Our stockings were filled by Santa as well. Sometimes he wrapped those presents as my grandma made our stocking and they were quite large. I still have mine and the first year I was married I showed it to my husband and told him I expected him to fill it (as a joke) I have never seen him so shocked. We always got to pick one present to open on Christmas eve although sometime we would pick the wrong on and have to pick again. We now have a three year old and she is really starting to get it now so we have to decided what we are going to do this year. I think the one cool present will be from Santa and the rest from us and of course her stocking will be filled by Santa.
in our family,mom and dad gave us a present every christmas.1 present is signed by my parents and present number 2 is signed by santa.both present is wrapped,present from mom and dad will be found under the christmas tree and a gift signed from santa will be found in our bedroom every christmas eve!but now that i am married and very far far away from my parents i dont know if i can have one for this christmas(lol)!
@athinapie (1152)
Hi there! Well as for my parents, they would wrap all the presents (with the same design) and label them from them or from Santa. I guess that was the time when my sister and I became suspicious that there was indeed no Santa. Aside from the presents, they would put candies and chocolates on two big stockings and they would tell us that they were from Santa. And when we received gifts from other people prior to Christmas day, we would put them under the Christmas tree and we would wait and open them on Christmas day.
@jet2r0cks (193)
I guess my brother and I were different from most kids. We knew early on that there wasn't really a Santa Claus, cause when we got Christmas gifts our parents would tell us it's from them. One time they did try to make us believe in Santa but it was already too late - we've already known for a long time that he wasn't real so that was the only time they did it.
@writersedge (22579)
I grew up like you. Mom and Dad, a couple presents and the rest from Santa. Got to open a couple presents the night before. I don't wrap presents, I'm not good at it. I put them in gift bags and to heck with it. My husband and brother are good at wrapping things. His girlfriend and I are not. None of us have children, so nothing has to say Santa, once in a while, we'll write from Santa on something to be cute or if we find an extra present that we want to buy someone.