Being Taken Advantage Of At Work Is Something I Cannot Stand

@Janey1966 (24127)
Carlisle, England
How about you? We all know that my hubby is the only wage earner in this household at present and I'm beginning to think he and other colleagues are being taken advantage of by weak managers who fail to sack the "shirker" that's bringing everyone down. I shall explain more:- I have mentioned "Graduate Boy" a few times who comes and goes as he pleases and makes excuses not to work Saturday mornings. His latest excuse is "I'm going to Leeds." Oh, really? Got proof of that have we? Therein lies the problem, this guy is getting away with stuff the others would not get away with. Take early Friday morning for example. John's immediate boss was ranting because "Graduate Boy" had sent a job to be printed overnight and it was wrong..as in £7,000 of wasted printing "wrong." Now, John and his colleagues are always in work for 7am so what did the immediate boss do? Ensured this job was done again so the printers could print it before "Graduate Boy" came in at sodding-well 8am. I asked John if anything was said to him and he told me that he knew he'd done the job wrong in the first place which begs the question, "Why wasn't HE made to do it again?" Now, I know the printers have got to have this job done asap but surely they could've waited until "Graduate Boy" came in so he could bloody well sort out the job he'd b*llsed up. So, John has to go in Saturday morning when "Graduate Boy" goes to Leeds and this shirker will not have anything else said to him until Monday because (as John put it) "the boss needs to calm down, otherwise he'd say something he'd regret!" Well, so what? SACK HIM, it's the only way!! Poor management, that's what this is and it stinks! I'd want to find out if "Graduate Boy" got a Bonus like the rest of them. I bet he did, sticking two fingers up at his colleagues by doing the least amount of work. Grrrr!!
@hofferp (4739)
I understand the situation, and as a manager for over 20 years (now retired), I'm with you, management is at fault for not taking appropriate action. Sounds like Graduate Boy's been warned and hasn't taken the warnings to heart. I'd put the warnings in writing, make sure he understands those warnings, and if he fails, I'd fire him. Three strikes you're out... Surprising what that will do for morale...
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I can tell you know what you're talking about and I wish we could "borrow" you for a bit to sort this guy out. I'm one of those people that likes fairness in the workplace. I do believe that he has been warned but obviously not vodiferous (word of the day) enough as he's - basically, ignored anything that has been said to him so far. What I don't want to happen is for everyone to cool down so much that - by the time Monday comes around, no-one says anything..and this bad feeling is allowed to fester. I'll keep you all posted whatever happens next week.
@hofferp (4739)
Please do. I'd like to know if the manager follows through...
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
I asked hubby when he got in from work what had happened and he said, "the bosses have been in a meeting all day." Now, if this bloke gets away with it (and he's already booked a holiday same day as John which isn't supposed to be allowed) I'll be most upset. It wouldn't surprise me if the bosses turn a blind eye to the holiday situation as well. He's already had most of his allocation and will probably go off sick when they run out..people like him always do. If anything further happens tomorrow I shall let you know.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
awww but we don't want to hurt graduate boy's widdle feelings, do we?
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
The Powers That Be were in a meeting all day today, it seems. Now, whether this guy was on the agenda I don't know but he's been hauled into their office before and nothing was done then..so I'm not holding out much hope that he'll be shown the door, which is what SHOULD happen, in my opinion. If he's an example of the Graduates out there looking for work then God help us, is all I can say.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Probably a straight A student and heaven help the education system! lol
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Over here you can get an A+ if you spell your name right!
This is really unfortunate, I understand as I was a manager for a very long time. I was loved by all employees as I probably worked harder than all of them put together. Unfortunately the younger crowd today of managers feels that being a manager means they perform less and when in reality, we know the older crowd that is that a company thrives when the entire team pulls it's weight and naturally the manager takes most of the burdens. This manager has it all wrong and well with that type of attitude he will either find another company to throw down the sinker and or finally wake up one day and realize he is 40 and no future path.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
The thing is, this "Graduate Boy" as I like to call him has been told a few times now to pull his weight and chooses to ignore everyone. Nothing gets in the way of his social life and it's wrong. The others have mortgages to pay, my husband crashes out on the couch every night as he's exhausted and, no doubt his colleagues are the same. It's no good this guy being talked about behind his back, he should be confronted face-to-face and it shouldn't have been allowed to drag on like this as it will only get worse in future. Either the guy will get sacked or punched on the nose!
Truly sorry that your hubby and other colleges have to deal with this and well this boy will either lose his job and or yeah you are right some one will take matter into their own hands.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
My latest update is in box 5 if you wish to take a look my friend.
@jesssp (2742)
Isn't it frustrating to be on the outside looking in when it comes to stuff like that? It seems like it's so cut and dried but you can't do anything about it. In that kind of situation it seems like the other employees need to rise up and confront the meek manager all together, force him into action. I see that same kind of un-managing every day and it drives me nuts, and the fact that it's so black and white yet I can't do anything about it is even worse. I feel for your husband, I deal with varying degrees of 'Graduate Boys' everyday.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
My list of inept managers is very long and I often wondered how they got the job. The building John works in is full of men and we all know men don't ask enough questions. For example, when Graduate Boy said he was going to Nottingham a week on Friday no-one asked him why he was going there. He's been to a few cities..Manchester, Newcastle..you name it, he's been and I'm not convinced he's telling the truth because no-one asks him what he's up to. They could come off the top of his head couldn't they? If he doesn't want to come in on a Saturday he says "I'm going away for the weekend." Well, where is that then? The guys should be more nosey in my opinion. Apparently, Graduate Boy has been hauled into the main boss's office today. Again, no-one asked what went on. I would. If I was going to work with someone like him the least I would expect is for somebody to tell me what his punishment (if any) is likely to be if he falls out of line again. I suspect he will do what he did last time. Behave himself for a few days, then revert back to how he was before as he hasn't been told off properly. I'll be very surprised if he's even given a warning. I don't know why we can't have offices run like classrooms. After all, there's (usually) only one teacher controlling the class. Why on earth should offices be any different? Just have one manager running the show..that's it. Radical eh?
Very Radical indeed.. I am surprised the men have not spoken up and said something by now. Since they are always saying that we women allow bosses and managers to take advantage of us in the workplace. Some day graduate boys days will be numbered, but until then the men will continue to tolerate.