Sweets at Christmas

@jugsjugs (13045)
I always get loads of sweets like tins of Roses,Heros,Celebrations also Quality street.I have got so far two tins of each sweets,as that way if i have forgotten anyone i will have something on stand by.Every year i get tins of sweets from people yet we still buy them.I tend to get lots of different sweets other than the tins like match maker,hard boiled sweets and boxes of chocs.Do you tend to get too many sweets in at Christmas,like we do.
Beginning the Halloween season and so forward, I get so many sweets that I have started to re-gift. Reason being that I am not so big on sweets and well this way I have a nice handy sweet package during the holidays at some event. See my boyfriend is an actor and we attend many get together's and I always have something on hand to share to the host as this way I do not have to go out of my or into my finances to purchase. It really isn't mean as I really get way too many, and not re-gifting means it would spoil in our home.
That sounds like a really great solution to the idea of hostess gifts. It does no one any favors to have it just sit and spoil.
hi jugsjugs so many people seem to think we diabetics can suck it up and thus bombard us with all the goodies in the world, but onething I can give the most of them to my son and friends, but my best friend Nelda is also a diabetic like myself.I do keep the hard candies as three or four of most of them contain just fifteen grams of carbs and are ideal for raising low blood sugar. I can eat some of the really good quality dark chocolate and its actually good for us too.what I wish people would do for diabetics is to send them nutmeats as those are good for us and do not raise our blood sugar levels yet are fun to eat at Christmas too.
Lucky you jugs, I dont get any sorts of sweets for the holidays although i do make quite a few differetn things myself each year. I love baking for the holidays. The kids and I will normally get together and make about 5 or 6 different things from cookies to hard tact candies. I always ask for the same thing each year from my family and that would be a metal tin of popcorn and a spa basket with the lotions, bath beads and soaps. If they get me those i am happy but they always get me surprise gifts as well... A friend of us does make us a basket of chocolate goodies each year so yes i guess I do get some sweets and goodies for christmas but I still like more so I just make my own =)
@bestboy19 (5482)
We get most of our sweets after Halloween and Easter when they go on sale.
@dragon54u (31617)
Boy, your Christmas sure comes early--first booze, now candy!! I bake at Christmas, special family recipes. My dad and stepmother bake, too, so I get lots of goodies and I make lots to give to neighbors. I try to avoid the sweets but I still send my adult sons Christmas stockings with their gifts and I sneak a treat when I'm stuffing them!
@jugsjugs (13045)
I am the same when it comes to the childrens stockings and i do tend to put a few sweets in them,but this year it will be all toys and pencils,as my son has adhd and he really gets a fix having sweets,main thing is,he knows that he is only allowed two sweets and they are early in the day.As for me well i get sick of all the sweets still sitting there in April,so i tend to put a few in other friends childrens pockets aswell as i find that i send some over the road to my mother.
@rowantree (1190)
We don't get very many sweets at Christmas. My Mom will give us a plate of cookies and fudge and that's really about it. I had to smile at what you've written, you mention Quality Street and I was just reading "Mini Shopaholic" and the main character was eating Quality Street chocolates. :)
@jugsjugs (13045)
Quality Street have got alot to answer for,as they are the ones that do the really large tins,aswell as jars and i must say that there are always the type of sweets we get given every year from my husbands works aswell as friends,lol,not that i am complaining.I think that after a while too much chocolate sweets make you feel sick.
@buggles64 (2715)
We get way to many sweets at Christmas, and usually of the home made variety, so it's not really something that we can freeze. We get tins of cookies, boxes of chocolates, and homemade cookies, and other little treats. Oh yeah, a lot of sweets, and sugar :)
At our Christmas celebration, it's not usually sweets that we have too much of. We usually have pies, and probably some cookies, but the main feast (mainly of potatoes for me - those are my downfall! Cheesy potatoes mmm), but we have tons and tons of food regardless of what kind. It's pretty ridiculous actually, how much food we do indeed have!
@drannhh (15226)
I think everyone does and New Year's too. It is a hazard of the holidays.
@cher913 (25891)
i do love chocolate and tend to get a lot at Christmas time but i always put the extra in the freezer so i can have it later.
@kun2349 (23475)
So sweet! lol =D I wont be giving out sweets during christmas, but i do give chocolates instead.. haha =D IT's more appealing to ple of all age.. hehe ^_^ Plus all the fanciful wrappers in conjunction with christmas, it kinda attracts me to them.. hehe ^_^ IF i wanna buy sweets, basic cane shaped candy is the choice for me as it beats represents christmas.. haha
• Jamaica
My kids have a ball during Christmas time because we get so many sweets. I try not to buy too much but i always end up getting a whole lot. I love chocolate and i always tend to over indulge during the Christmas season.
We actually don't tend to get very many sweets at all when it comes to Christmas. I think that the reason for that is that many of the people that we choose to exchange gifts with are people that make their own handmade gifts. In addition to this, my dad's side of the family only does gifts for the children and doesn't exchange for the adults because there are so many of us. As the grandchildren have had kids of their own, they no longer receive gifts, but the kids get something instead. I really like this as well because Christmas really should be about the kids.
Hi Jugs! i am not so much of sweets because many of my friends are diabetic. In our place i have dsicovered a type of delicious cookie that is not so sweet but creamy. I also plan to give things they can use. At home very few loves sweets but it is nice to have some for visitors who love sweets.
@Sanitary (3969)
It's not common over here. We do not receive sweets at all. The only time we celebrate will be on the day itself. Majority of us don't care much about the build up to christmas. Our festive mood is determined by those lightings meant for christmas, being put up around the island. That's where christmas songs are playing everywhere we go, and we know it's the time for celebration, counting down.
Hello jj Friend we have many festivals, almost every month, next one is deewali, festival of fireworks and Durjapuja, normally i don't buy from market, my wife and daughter in law make various kinds of indian sweets at home and distribute them, feed to guests and visitors.. Thanks for sharing. Cheers. Professor. .
@Lakota12 (42684)
we really just get choclates cherry filled ons . We usually have lots of candy let over from halloween tho!
@sender621 (14956)
The Christmas holiday is a time that is filled with sweets of all kinds. it is not a good time to consider a diet. We probably eat too many sweets at Christmas, but it is a delicious feeling.
I got a sweet tooth myself. Other people might have recognize that you love those that is why they give that to you. Office mates do drop by my table to give me chocolates, peanuts, cookies. Do you know that people who loves sweets have a good personality. They have also a child like quality.
I do! And I usually eat them all before new year rolls in so it's all good. ^.^