Installing Linux

@vjsinduja (1035)
Sri Lanka
Since the day I started to use a computer I have sticked to Windows OS. But now I would like to experience Linux.As all of us know Linux is FREE to download and install, is it the same for the latest version of Linux as well? Can u guys tell what is the latest version available to download. From which site can I download the full software and how to install it?
Hello, After you order Ubuntu from the site, it will take about 2-4 months to have the CD pack delivered. If you are not in some kinda hurry, you can surely take this route. Just make a request in Ubuntu.com. However there is a faster way. Ask your friends if they have the Red Hat or any other versions of Linux. Write the CDs and install them. Also try to search Torrentz for any other version of Linux. Write them down as soon as you download them. Installing Linux in your computer is however, very tricky. I would recommend that you start with Ubuntu which integrates fine with Windows OS. You can even install it from within Windows. Delete a partition, preferably the last one, and then install your Ubuntu from within Windows in that unformatted space. Thanks. God bless you.
@petersum (4526)
If you wait THAT long for delivery, the CD will be out of date and a newer version will be available!
definitely. Even taking the tour of entire world doesn't take that long.
You can go for either Redhat Linux or a Fedora Linux. The lastes version in redhad linux is 9. You can download Redhat Linux version 9 from brothersoft site. I think you know how to make the partition before installing.
@petersum (4526)
Redhat 9 is many years old. Don't bother looking for any other Redhat product because they are no longer free! Fedora is an experimental distribution that is NOT suitable for new users and often many parts of it do not work!
@stylewaves (1063)
I think the latest version is 10.10
@wrangel15 (1443)
I use Ubuntu and I can recommend it to you. Ubuntu is just another flavor of Linux. There are different types of installer depending on your machine (desktop, netbook, etc.). Try visiting http://www.ubuntu.com.
@petersum (4526)
I see that some people are trying to force a particular type of Linux on you! Don't make a choice until you have seen what is available. www.ibiblio.org will list all, or most, of the Linux distributions. I would suggest Slax.org as a start until you become familiar with Linux. Run Slax from CD or flash stick. There are many other LiveCD's that you can try without committing yourself and your computer to Linux straight away.
@stylewaves (1063)
You can get them from ubuntu.com itself