Fight for unequal rights

@bhanusb (5709)
When women of the world are fighting for equal rights then the Soudi women are exception. In Soudi Arabia some women are campaigning to keep unequality with men. The name of their campaign is "My guardian knows best for me". By this the women want to keep the right of guardianship of men upon women. Last year a woman of Jedda Rowda Al Usuf started the campaign. Now several thusands women are attached to this campaign. They have their own web site.
@Catana (736)
You have to understand that the women in that culture are heavily conditioned to believe in their inequality and the need to have men take care of them. In *any* culture, most people are content with the way things are. Most people in the world have difficulty in accepting major changes in their lives. It's only the few rebels who come out and say that things need to be different. If they're lucky, they'll be a major influence for change. But they will always have to fight the ones who are afraid of change. Imagine you've spent your whole life with your body and face covered in the presence of strangers, never gone out by yourself, never had a job, etc. Leaving all that behind would be pretty scarey for most women.
@vandana7 (69027)
Hi catana - there is a lot of merit in what you say. But look at it from the other angle as well. Earlier, they never saw how other women lived, they heard of it, but never actually saw other women. They never saw how beautiful other women looked, or how confident they were in their lives. Television and Internet have completely revolutionized their environment. So - do you think they will still not want appreciation for their skills, their looks, their abilities?
I guess it's really about freedom of choice here. Although equality maybe sought after by many, there are still people who doesn't want equality. I'm not entirely sure of what this campaign is about. But from the name of the campaign, I can roughly guess that it's about the fear of choice making. The inequality has been deeply rooted in saudi arabia that the women may have been so dependent on their guardian to make choices that they feared their choice may not be a wise one. That would be one possible reason for such campaign.
@IoanaBI (494)
WOW! Talking about the notion of HERD! I do not agree with them! OK, so it is nice to sit arround the house and do nothing all day long, and have someone to bring money home for me, but am i willing to accept to become nothing more than a statue in that home? how can i be proud of the house and things i have if i havent worked for them, if my contribution is zero? And how come HE knows what is best for me, and my headen desires and apirations are if he is not me?? Menthally insufficiency i sthe answer i think, and i'm sure that the woman, who started the herd, has it
For real? Why would they want it to stay that way? Don't they want to be empowered? Or are they just so used to that tradition?